1st visit with a new Doctor.

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Health care is one of the most troublesome for transgender people. The simplest most trivial medical needs can cause us great anxiety and added stress. For those at the beginning who are presenting in the gender opposite of birth even the waiting room can be terrifying ... waiting for “Mr.” to be called whilst sitting there in a pretty dress quite obviously a “Ms.”, or vise versa. Then the looks from the receptionist to wondering if the Dr. (if 1st visit) is an open minded one. Each of us experiencing different experiences depending completely on the “professionals” we encounter. We all go through it and do so with as much grace as we possibly can.

I promise it too as the popular slogan goes “Does get better”, with time ones confidence increases and we get further along in transition and have those legal name changes and for those who are able get the gender marker changed on all our documents (usually not until post GRS), you won’t even think about it when visiting your Dr. ... once all that’s behind us and no one even looks twice at you in the waiting room and receptionist doesn’t even bat a lash because all your info matches your appearance.

... and then you move, as I just have.

Today was my 1st appointment with a new Dr. and even though I am almost three years on HRT, almost two years post-op, all my documents say female and rarely even wonder about “Passing” ... that anxiety returned today as I sat in the waiting room knowing that shortly I’d be telling this new Dr. that I was assigned male at birth. This being a smaller city, I wondered how the Dr. might be toward me, especially when I realized he was an older gentleman ... anyways I was going through the registration process and the nurse was interviewing me and asking about my medical history and I was pleased to be asked if I was or ever been pregnant, lol. But then upon being asked of currant medications I told her I was on hormones and she asked “early menopause”, “no” I said, “I was born transsexual”. She told me she couldn’t believe it and told me repeatedly how great I looked (which is always wonderful to hear). She brought my file to the Dr. and he too was so very nice telling me that I was not his 1st trans-patient. We discussed my needs and he never once messed up pronouns and was completely genuine.

I too have had bad experiences and have felt destroyed by someone who is supposed to be there to help people. That is why I wanted to share this lil’ story in the “Transgender Health Care” because I know how tuff it is for us all when it comes to health care and though it does depend on those we’re going to see, we must not be ashamed of who we are, we must hold our chins up and never assume people are going to be small minded bigots. No mater your general location.

My day went well, thankfully because we all should see our Doctors while on HRT.

((Hugs))

Beth

3 people like this

Posted

Hi Beth, Thank you so much for sharing this. I am not on any hormone treatment and have not approached a Doctor for any medical intervention, so this is most insightful. I am so glad you are perceived as who you truly are and your new doctor shows you the respect you deserve.

Good Luck :)

Calista x

3 people like this

Posted

Ms. Beth YOU have always Been my heroine!!! :D

Thnx .... Love Ya!! :wub:

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you MsBeth for sharing with us.

1 person likes this

Posted

That is great news Beth! Even though I am not transitioning in anyway I did tell my doctor because I felt my health was being affected by the stress I was under. He also told me I was not his first transgender patient. He asked if I wanted to see a therapist and I had siad no at the time. A few visits later I told him yes and he found one for me who was knowledgeable in sexual and gender issues.

Bonnie