'Social shame' heightens transgender suicide

14 posts in this topic

Posted

'Social shame' heightens transgender suicide

CBC.ca

Numbers from an ongoing health study of transgender people in this province show that rates of suicide and attempted suicide are significantly higher in the trans-population — and trans-youth are especially at risk...

3 people like this

Posted

Lori, this is one of the PRIMARY functions of organazations like R. O. S. M. Y. in Richmond Virginia . Sure , this foundation was primarily started for Gay Teens . VERY Quickly, Transgender and individuals considering the aspects of Transgenderism were included in suicide prevention talks . This was also one of my main focal points to the audience last Sunday after the MSNBC Vidieo was presented , ( Growing Up Trans in America ). Just last week , within a T D O R , ( Trans Day of Rememberance ) planning meeting one of our support group members had to quickly step olut over an attempted suicide from a Transwoman . Thankfully, she was talked out . The next time may not be so lucky ..............

4 people like this

Posted

It's such a tragedy that people who have nothing to be ashamed of should be made to feel shame simply for being human, and wishing to express the most important part of their humanity.

Having said that I don't think it is shame that drives our brothers and sisters to take their own lives, rather I think it is the feelings of isolation and despair that things will never be made right. I think that some people are not willing or able to compromise their lot in this world. If you are a trans man or woman considering ending your life and you read this please please please think again and remember, we may be separated by thousands of miles but we are all together and united in our goal to make this world a better more gentle place, where everyone regardless of who they are or what they want will at least get an even break.

Everybody needs a hand to hold and it can seem, sometimes, that the hand is not there. It is!

When I feel down, and I have been down, I find that punk music helps. That may not be your solution, but I bet you have something that helps you shout back at the world when the world wont listen.

You are not alone, you are loved!

Susane Xxx.

4 people like this

Posted

One of the things I share with people is that they have nothing to be ashamed of. It's a shame that society rejects LGBT people because they're different. What hurts me is that many lives end prematurely.

7 people like this

Posted

I wish i could say that i dont think about killing myself alot but i try to at least hold on to what little hope that doesnt slip thru my fingers everyday.Its not the comments or the stares in public its the abandonment and isolation that came from my transition.

4 people like this

Posted

Believe me, all of my life I've entertained suicidal thoughts. The only things that prevented me were being too young to plan a successful attempt and my obligations to my wife, child and grandchildren.

The exception was the day I was within inches of falling 12 stories to the pavement. I was stopped by my promise, another obligation, to call my psychologist before doing anything. Perhaps my empathy played into this because he later admitted he was surprised that he answered the call because it was the middle of his day, even though he was between patients, and he seldom answered at such times because he could hear voice-mail later. He also expressed surprise at picking up my state of mind immediately because I was "talking in code" when I said I was ready to "pull half a Superman." He did talk me into admitting myself where they immediately took away all my clothes and locked me in a room for many hours. I spent a week inpatient and a week outpatient before returning to my regular therapy. Richard also told me he'd asked my psychiatrist later if I'd "needed to be in." The doctor replied, "Oh yeah!"

Today, I still am a victim of Recurrent Major Depression with Dysthymia. Although antidepressants keep most symptoms at bay, there is no joy in living. I'm only continuing to fulfill my obligations until at least when my grandchildren are adult enough to be able to choose to suicide for themselves without anyone else driving them to it. The psych's don't get it. Apparently everyone is supposed to want to live and extend their lives. I simply don't and am just biding my time.

Maybe the next life ....

2 people like this

Posted

Listen Daneela. The only thing that is achieved by suicide is more pain and unhappiness. I know depression is an illness and the world looks hopeless, but you have friends who love you!

2 people like this

Posted

I am Saddened and a Little Disheartened when it comes to the fact that if truly Honest we all were we should find that we have all suffered the cruel temptations of Suicide , I still even today battle with the beast and Hell I have lived full time what 4 or 5 years now , I came out at 5 , 18 , 24 and said enough and made the leap of faith , was it a great choice , No because I had no choice why because the 12 times I attempted or was about to attempt suicide I realized that would not change me , yeah even after death I would still be tormented by this cruel fate of Gender Dysphoria , I had to finish the journey and make it to the other side to be complete this time around , Yeah I believe I have been Reincarnated I know of three lives before this one and every one was of female origin , each of those lives were cut short , so I believe I have been sent back to Finish this life as it is meant to be finished , not to Kill myself nor be Killed , Listen it may sound whack a doodle of me but this is the only explanation I have , why else would god do this to me , at least with being born a male I made it farther then I had in my other lives , so now to finish this one off by my own hands before finishing the journey .... HELL No I wont GO . and neither should any one else , stick around lets see how this thing ends , if for nothing else then to laugh at life and move on to the higher plain we deserve to be lifted up to .

Hugs

Stephani

3 people like this

Posted

I'm on SSI, and have my issues too.

1 person likes this

Posted

How do I get suicide off my mind at 58, unemployed, homeless, lost all my possetions, depressed .?

2 people like this

Posted

Hello Georgette...welcome, though I wish it was under better circumstances.

--If you are in immediate danger of harming yourself, you should dial the emergency number for your country.

If not (and hopefully you aren't)....

--I would recommend that you find a therapist and make an appointment as soon as possible to deal with the issue of suicidal thoughts, and/or whatever is causing you to feel this way.

--If you are a member of an open-minded/accepting church, temple, synogog, etc... perhaps you can contact someone for spiritual help and/or guidance. They may even be able to put you in contact with a shelter.

--You should try to google transgender and GLBT resources for your area for support with trans-related issues.

--Places like the Salvation Army may be able to help you with shelter, or provide you with information on shelters.

--Check out the if you are not in immediate danger of harm, or of harming yourself

I hope that some of this will help

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

When it comes to immediate thoughts of suicide then it is critical that you talk to someone immediately, crisis centres preferrably. If suicide is something you think about but it is not immediate then talk to a therapist. Hopefully he/she will help you see that there is more to life than what people think about you. There is always someone who cares about you or there is someone who can care about you if you just patiently look. There are many wonderful people in this world and many things of great joy and beauty. You have to learn to pull yourself out of yourself and look outwards. Yes, people can hurt you and isolate you but they are not the only ones in the world. Depression is difficult to rid yourself of but it can be done once you gain the strength to do so. Life can change for the better but the change must come from within first and you most likely will need help to do so. We are here for you too.

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm 49 and think about dying all the time I'm a male that wishes I was a female...I wish I can wear womans clothes out in public...and I wish I could have the surgery... But I can't ..so I'm not happy with the way I look,

I want and need to be a wonderful woman.. Are die trying.....

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi jmw! Welcome to TG Guide! If you can't go on living unless you become a woman then you must become a woman. The thing is that is not as simple as it may sound. I am assuming you are not in therapy now and haven't been. That is a very important step to look into immediately. Also be sure you have the telephone number for a nearby crisis centre in case you get to that point. Can you at least dress in private? For me that is a great relief. I can rarely go out in public for a number of reasons no matter how much I want to. Tell us more about your situation and hopefully we can be of some help to you. I just want to add that there is a wide range of stages between who you are and who you want and need to be. You may have to be content with living at one of those in between stages for some time. So again look into getting therapy from a gender identity knowledgeable therapist if possible. Death is not the answer. I am happy you have at least found us here.

Bonnie

3 people like this