9 posts in this topic

Posted

[20 October was] International Day of Action for Trans Depathologization – a day when transgender people tell the medical world to stop treating them as if they were ill or crazy

20 October 2012 | By Jane Fae

The logo for International Day of Action for Trans Depathologization.

Depathologization. Sounds complicated: it’s not. For behind the fancy ideological word lies a stark reality. This is a campaign about power, and control and respect. -gaystarnews.com

We’re not mad or sick, trans people tell doctors

3 people like this

Posted

Michael, that was an excellent article. As I have said before if we are classified as sick, society will see us as sick. Depathologization would not only a big step in public perception but also for the stigma that hangs around our necks :angry:

3 people like this

Posted

Some argue that by depathologizing transsexuality, the entire process would be undermined and all aspects of medical treatment would then be wholly reduced to being elective and cosmetic. I tend to think that the medical world could easily fix that. If they wanted to.

-Michael

See related article, " in the FTM discussion forum and featuring Max Zach from the British documentary, My Transsexual Summer.

2 people like this

Posted

"IF THEY wanted too " , yes, that's a key phrase .

1 person likes this

Posted

I tend to think that the medical world could easily fix that. If they wanted to.

-Michael

They create the dilemma, not us. It is up to them to fix it, Thou I guess we will need to campaign hard as they will not be doing it by there own volition :angry:

1 person likes this

Posted

I have never understood why you need a psychiatrist to have surgery that no one will see, unless you want them to, but you can get the obscenity of your choice tattooed on your face with no intervention from the medical world at all!

2 people like this

Posted

Calista, RIGHT ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Posted

You're right, Calista. The medical establishment has always known that the current binary system is a lie. It took years for gays to be taken off the list of mental illness.We must do the same and pressure them to remove transgender people off that list.

3 people like this

Posted

I have never understood why you need a psychiatrist to have surgery that no one will see, unless you want them to, but you can get the obscenity of your choice tattooed on your face with no intervention from the medical world at all!

You could not have said it better...I will probably never figure this one out either...