Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transgender Day of Remembrance Nov 20, 2012

9 posts in this topic

Posted

International Transgender Day of Remembrance 2012

"The Transgender Day of Remembrance was set aside to memorialize those who were killed due to anti-transgender hatred or prejudice. The event is held in November to honor Rita Hester, whose murder on November 28th, 1998 kicked off the “Remembering Our Dead” web project and a San Francisco candlelight vigil in 1999. Rita Hester’s murder — like most anti-transgender murder cases — has yet to be solved..." TDOR website and events list >>

1 person likes this

Posted

Saddly Lori, this practice even has to be done . I would rather this day be remembered for the contributions Transgender people have shared and made our world a better place to be .

1 person likes this

Posted

I am going to an event in Edinburgh. I will be feeling sad but proud!

1 person likes this

Posted

Susane , one of the things I was very adiment about was to talk briefly about some local folks that have made Richmond Virginia through their efforts as a part of the services we're planning . I'm going to scan in a flyer later this evening so anyone in or around Richmond Virginia can participate in the services , yes services .

TDOR2012flyer.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Even though Transgender Day of Remembrance is over for 2012, it's never really over for us. Transgender people are still being killed, maimed, jailed, and humiliated by society at large. I've thought about this more and more. This is a very emotional topic for me in light of the many transgender folks who die by their own hand.

Here in New York there's a ENDA bill (GENDA). that has been up for a vote for over a decade. GENDA (Gender Employment Non Discrimination Act) has been repeatedly passed in the assembly but repeatedly rejected in the senate. It was on the same ballot when marriage equality was passed. I'm happy that marriage equality was passed but I have my own reasons as to why GENDA wasn't (won't get into that now). :unsure:

In 2013 I will be involved in seeing that GENDA will be passed. I'll be doing some traveling up to the capital lending a hand however I can. I guess you can say that I'm an activist (though I don't feel that way). I'm just a concerned citizen desiring to improve the lot of transgender folks in the state.

:mellow:

2 people like this

Posted

If I still lived in New York state, I'd offer my help if you needed anything. You go, girlfriend, you go!