Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Negativity towards CD/TS

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I have not yet experienced anything negative in the 6 months I have really been going out lots and lots. Not ever yet had even a chuckle. I go out an hour away primarily in central Ky where I go to college. I am from So indiana though. I was told that that area is not CD/TS friendly...but...I do not feel that I pass very well...but...I hardly ever get a double take (other than a few men checking the woman out), all cashiers simply took my money and asked if I wanted a receipt, I walk alot in city/county/national parks and the people just say "hi" in passing. walking the mall/Walmart type stores seems the easiest. I do not go out hardly at all after dark though. I have thought twice about doing a few things or going a few places...its like "would a woman do really do this"? Are alot of people more accepting nowadays (vs 20 + yr ago) or do they not care or are they just too busy too pay much attention? I assumed these little burgs (towns 200-500 people) I frequent would be somewhat more less tolerant than larger places but I have found that not to be the case. I am preparing for that negative experience that is bound to happen sooner or later. Any one else have thoughts on this? amanda

Posted

Amanda , for the most part if you're not doing something to draw attention to ones self and you're dressed nicely, yer correct. Even in "Small " towns , I too have noticed for the most part people really don't pay all that attention . Those that do , uh generally African Americans , Teen agers , yes , they'll read ya . Hey, no disrespect to anyone here on the board that takes offense to my observations . I am EXTREMELY carefull as to my suroundings after dark . I studied the habits of women years before I ever came out back in 1994 . I've been vrey cognessant of behaving ladylike and parking in WELL LIT areas . I keep my arms and my bag close . Then too, I'm careful to keep my bag in sight and closed in the grocery store also . Becoming a Lady takes a lot of time patience and practice dear , GO FORTH INTO THE WORLD !

Posted

I haven't had that many bad experiences ( a few looks, comments) Generally, my experience has been positive. Have received compliments on occasion also.

:)

Posted

I guess it wont matter what you look like if you happen to find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Thugs and bullies just love to hurt someone, anyone! But if you happen to be a little different they are more likely to spot you!

Take Ellen's (tbirdgal) advice about parking in well lit areas. I keep my car keys in my hand in case of a quick getaway. I try to park close to the door as well!

On that cheery note, have fun sister. And as they used to say in Hill Street Blues 'be careful out there!'

Posted

Suzane , let me share with you all a tip I gleaned from Ann Landers once . She wrote in her Newspaper collumn to carry you're keys between the fingers so as to create a "Metal Claw ". Hey, I've actually seen how this trick can help you in the event of an emergency. You can thrust the keys as you would a knife and really do some damage real quick. Look folks , I've been in some real erie situations and the attacker saw the keys . He hesitated , I got the hell outta Dodge ..............

Posted

I think the way I dress has alot to do with it, I am sort of Tomboyish, but usually with a knee high denim skirt and just enough makeup to cover those black beard spots (shaved hair). This area is real common to see a girl in a dress or skirt, camo jacket and boots, but I almost always wear tennis shoes. Now I usually go out in a long sleeved white Thirt, denim skirt, white tights and tennis shoes, sometimes wear the camo or bright orange hunter jacket. Type of people has not seemed to make any difference, age, gender, race, etc. I have walked by groups of high schoolers, checked out with teen girl cashiers, old lady cashiers, men cashiers, you name it, and today I walked past quite a few times the same Asian family (pretty sure they were korean, husband, wife, 3-4 young children) at a national park. It does seem like the 40ish women (my age) look a tad bit longer than others, but I have never seen anyone turn around to take another look. I used to have a small mirror and look like i am checking myself out but really reflecting back behind me , but I gave that up long time ago. Aside from that, I do think that the way one acts goes almost as far as the way one looks...most times. Cuando fueres, haz lo que vieres (when in rome do as romans do)...so when out as a woman, do as women do!...and i think we will be just fine... :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Sad to say Ellen, but I do know that keys are a potential weapon. I've never had to use them, but casually jangling them let's others know you have them, a bit like a rattle snake giving a warning!

Amanda I think you are right. If you dress age and situation appropriate, you tend to blend in. If you were walking in a national park dressed like Lady Gaga you would get looked at.

I wonder if new-comers to our countries look at us and think that that's just how these crazy westerners act! A bit like when westerners go to Asia and think that The Lady Boys of Bangkok are what everyone does :).

1 person likes this

Posted

Sad to say Ellen, but I do know that keys are a potential weapon. I've never had to use them, but casually jangling them let's others know you have them, a bit like a rattle snake giving a warning!

Amanda I think you are right. If you dress age and situation appropriate, you tend to blend in. If you were walking in a national park dressed like Lady Gaga you would get looked at.

I wonder if new-comers to our countries look at us and think that that's just how these crazy westerners act! A bit like when westerners go to Asia and think that The Lady Boys of Bangkok are what everyone does :).

I lived in a few "foreign" countries including Asia. I have come to the conclusion that people are pretty much the same where ever you go. We have the same issues in varying degrees, will I get a good job (or any job for that fact), like enough money to pay the bills, will our kids grow up and be sucessfull, etc.? Then we seem to do things somewhat similar...including CD/TS. I do not think Westerners are thought of as crazy...its probably like, "hey, they do this over here too"! I have not been to the Middle East though.

Posted

Reference the keys/keyring ...

I think it depends on how many keys one might have on a keyring. It might also depend on what's on that keyring. I've seen women with so much stuff on a keyring that I wonder what keeps them from toppling over.

I have a suggestion...add a whistle to all that crap on your keyrings ladies, and blow on like a crazy woman if the approach of someone makes you feel threatened. Most people with ill intentions don't want anything to attact attention to what they are doing, or about to do.

-Michael

Posted

Thats a good idea Michael. A soccer referees whistle will be perfect! And handy if I'm ever asked to be a referee.

Posted

Thats a good idea Michael. A soccer referees whistle will be perfect! And handy if I'm ever asked to be a referee.

I walk alone alot in city/county parks, including a large federal park with lots of secluded trails. I try to stay off those enfemme and keep close to the trails near the visitors center and the park rangers. I thought about one of those mini airhorns, the ones small enough to keep in a jacket pocket.