Transgenderism Is Not a Disorder, American Psychiatric Association Says

12 posts in this topic

Posted

For years , people like myself have been telling these "KNOW -IT - Alls about us being more or less an addition to both Male an Female . No one listened , O K , maybe now someone will...................

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm glad to see this...but I still fail to understand why not being a mental disorder will make treatment more difficult. If it is going to be labelled as a medical condition as with any other non-mental medical condition, then there should be treatment readily available - no different than if a person was born with a cleft pallet, or a club foot.

In fact, when I started reading more about intersexed people, I wondered just exactly how much the medical world really knows about the intersex condition. I got to thinking, they couldn't know too much more than what was just off the tips of their noses because they were too busy butchering intersex babies and kids.

If I'm not mistaken, the Harry Benjamin Syndrome is somewhat based on the idea that transpeople are actually intersexed. Hormones are what decide which way the developing body and mind will go. Maybe being transsexual is a more severe, although physically intangible, form of intersex as not all intersex people have gender issues unless their Nazi-Doktor-playing-God screwed up and butchered them into the wrong sex. In such cases, the gender dysphoria was created by man - not nature. But with transsexuality, such a condition would be more insidious, because there are no physical signs.

I think they are making more to-do out of nothing concerning treatment. What they need to do now is start learning more, it needs to be fully covered in med schools, or at least made a specialty, and of course - more research. If the [medical] powers-that-be-can remove the pathologization of transsexualism, they can also insure that any treatment of the medical condition is deemed necessary, and shall not be considered elective or cosmetic in any way. "Elective" should apply only to whether a person decides to go through treatment to transition, and how far the person wants to go. Some may "elect" not to medically transition.

It's almost like the APA is trying to placate both worlds - our world, and the world that thinks we're nuts.

-Michael

3 people like this

Posted

Michiael, my hat is off to you today , ( Insert APPLAUD here please ) .

1 person likes this

Posted

What's the difference between a disorder and dysphoria? In my mind, it's the same thing. It's just a play on words. I defy anyone in the medical establishment to tell me that I'm mentally ill. They are some of the biggest sociopaths that there ever was. Medicine is the number one killer of humans.

:angry:

2 people like this

Posted

What's the difference between a disorder and dysphoria? In my mind, it's the same thing. It's just a play on words. I defy anyone in the medical establishment to tell me that I'm mentally ill. They are some of the biggest sociopaths that there ever was. Medicine is the number one killer of humans.

:angry:

DAT WAZZZZZZZZZZ Wunderful !!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

I am in ways Glad to see the change But this being said I am wondering what this is going to do to the community as far as what and what Insurance is and is not going to cover , Ok the wordings use to say if Medically Necessary , thus then we can jump through the hoops and Maybe just maybe get some insurance coverage's . So now what does it mean that because On My Letters of recommendation it says Gender Dysphoria I can get the help I need but those who's are written up saying that individual is suffering from a Gender Identity disorder and they cant get any help what so ever because they are Miss Diagnosed now because of the changes in the rules , I give up , I hope that we are just allowed to have the options to under go What ever We feel is the best course for our own person .

Once the Medical society and Psychological society steps back and minds their own business and butts out of our lives then and only then will we be allowed to our own lives .

I have a condition that needs to be listed with the new DSM-5 its the BUTT THE HELL out syndrome , it consists of high emotions related to others butting into a persons life and the choices they constitute as necessary treatment options for that persons own well being . The treatment options for this Syndrome is to Keep your own opinions to your self in regards to another persons own body and how they see fit to alter or change the appearance of any physical attribute they currently have or desire to have or alter.

Hugs

Stephani

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a condition that needs to be listed with the new DSM-5 its the BUTT THE HELL out syndrome , it consists of high emotions related to others butting into a persons life and the choices they constitute as necessary treatment options for that persons own well being . The treatment options for this Syndrome is to Keep your own opinions to your self in regards to another persons own body and how they see fit to alter or change the appearance of any physical attribute they currently have or desire to have or alter.

Hugs

Stephani

Stephani, this has LONG been known as GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE. Commonly refered to as Liberlisim too. Such disorders are common in SEVERAL western states as well as HIGHLY populated North Eastern localities . I suggest buying a run down ranch in Wyoming, add a few well armed people to help guard it against intruders . Also add Dogs who would otherwise be put to death that were abandoned in pounds . By the way, I've said this would be what I would do if I won the lottery . I'd invite anyone who's Trans to come stay for indefinet periods to recoperate at my ranch also ..............

2 people like this

Posted

I don't like vicious dogs. But if you promise to lock them up I'll come for a long, long visit. And if I win the lottery you can stay at mine!

Posted

I dont believe they have to be vicious simply protective of their owners and friends and their home.

Thank you hun

Hugs

Stephani

Posted

Most of the dogs I'm refering to jus bark a lot at folks they don't know . I was at a house today that fosters a lot of rescue dogs . Saw one that was a Labrador mix that really looked just like a mix I had in Fort Worth years ago. All he wanted was for someone to pay attention to him ..............

Posted

A friend of mine in Second Life who lives here in Canada about an hour away was telling me about changes that were made here in Ontario;

http://www.transgenderlondon.com/TG%20Healthcare.htm

They basically make it as difficult as possible to be covered for SRS as Beth (TG Guide member) can attest to.

Calling it a Disorder or Dysphoria won't change the fact that insurance coverage is needed. The gay and lesbian circumstances are in no way similar to those of the transgender community other than societal acceptance and rights protections.

Bonnie

2 people like this