Exercise regime?

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I've started working out again recently. I had been into building a lot of upper body strength when I used to work out years ago, and I have really defined arms and shoulders because of it. This, naturally, doesn't lend itself to look that great in a sleeveless dress.

As to what I should be doing in my current workout regime, I'm quite clueless. I want to be fit, but I don't want to put on muscle mass that is uncharacteristically female. I've started running for cardio, and have been exercising my abs, but otherwise, I'm not sure what I should do. Pushups and chest presses will work my triceps, and lat pulls will define my back.

I read on the MtF board that muscle composition changes with HRT. But short of that, what can I do?

Thanks,

- A

1 person likes this

Posted

I guess you should do exercise that doesn't involve your arms too much, like cycling. I suppose buying a Jane Fonda workout DVD (do they still sell those) or something similar might be the best thing. Or ask for an assessment at your gym, Tell them what you want.

1 person likes this

Posted

What helps as well if you trying 2 slim ur arms down or you whole body for that matter. But different push up routines and pull up routine are good for strengthing and defining and u won't add 2 much mass. Your pull downs will also work. Alot of the craze xercise routines like crossfit are also good. But you can always pic up a muscle and fitness hers. And check there as well. They have good routines that actually work 4 both men and women.

1 person likes this

Posted

So many choices, from Yoga to Zoomba to Pilates and beyond! I want to say that most of the female cyclists I've known had great legs so I heartifly agree with Susane plus it's low impact!

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the tips. I usually cycle most of the year as it is for commuting (except when its snowing). I'm just wondering if there's some sort of strength training I can do as well that won't make me bulk up as much.

1 person likes this

Posted

I also started exercising about 6 months ago. I was not too pleased after a dr's visit. Stated I was getting closer to being diabetic and from another doctor I am greatly at risk for cardiovascular problems. I thought getting in shape might help at least hold these off.

Anyway I took up walking as the primary thing to do. I set a very small reasonable goal of walking 3 hrs a week. I am a full time RN nursing student, still work at least 30 hrs/ week to maintain health insurance and have a few cows left I have to take care of,additionally the college where I attend is an hour away, one way.

My best time is after classes in the afternoon. Until the semester break I was walking at least 12 hours a week, many of them enfemme.

I did purchase a mountain bicycle but it is much more difficult to do that. I am down 30 lbs so far. I have watched what I eat too. I am sort of doing a loose versionof the South Beach diet...good carbs vs bad carbs. It really wotrks for me.

I then took up working on the waist down. I do lots of squats and do the ablounger at least every day. I do need to do the squats with weights though. I have worn 5 lb leg wts and walked at work, but I need to do a bit more reseach on that since I heard they may not be the best thing to do. I do use them for leg exercise resistance but I am not sure what the exercises are called. I can see a some result of leg bulking/forming so I am going to continue that route. I think the key is setting a goal/program that is not too intimidating at first and build from there.

2 people like this

Posted

In searching for more transnews sources, I ran across a website called Trans Health. And wouldn't ya know, right there on the "front page," from January 2003, was the following --

Weight Training for MTFs: Stay Strong Without Size

Perhaps some of you may find some useful info in this article.

-Michael

5 people like this

Posted

Oh, wow, nice! Thanks Michael.

Posted

;) :)

No problem. I'd like to hear back from you and any others who found this to be helpful.

Posted

Since I had played a lot of sports as I was growing up I was actually worried about putting on muscle mass. I made sure I did not do weights. I didn't need to worry about overeating because I burned everything off easily enough just by being outside so much. I got my strength through just practices and playing games. The positions I played in each sport did not require muscle mass either but did require speed, agility and reflexes. I was a goaltender in hockey, a catcher in baseball and a wide receiver in football. So the workouts I got just at practices was enough to keep me strong and slim for those private times wearing my mother's clothes.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

I do a lot of walking. I'm going to purchase a sweatsuit and running shoes and get back to jogging again.

:)

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, Im still exercising and watching diet. My weight has not changed much in the last few months, but body size is getting smaller. Muscle weighs more than fat? I did get into a gym that had a great membereship drive and upped my weightlifting regime, especially the lower (legs). I think I am at a standstill, body not knowing what to do. I am loosing fat, gaining muscle (really getting stronger but not much hypertrophy of muscle) despite diet. Maybe this is a good point to be at. Once I get to the desired weight (or size) then perhaps I concentrate on the leg bulking. I must be doing something right. Even a mediocre program done regularly is much better than a great program done irregularly.

I am not new to fitness. I extensively weightlifted in my late teenage years. I, for some reason just could not put on muscle like my younger brother, my cousins and others eventhough I put in alot of effort. We all most likely overtrained. I do not think someone could walk too much if they had the time, which just lead me to a new post.

2 people like this

Posted

Yea I enjoy running and cycling at the club and avoid all upper body weights. Only do the machines for my tummy and hips at the club. dont want the body mass now. also told that swimming is great workout for a girl

2 people like this

Posted

I am in the same category. The other I saw a 69 year old cross dresser boy did he look boney & what not. Sure I enjoy the female slim look but I still want to grow a little mass yet remain female in male body. There is a song by guns n roses I think, live fast or die young pretty well thats not the aim but to have strong old age yet looking female. I am also as author suggest working for upper chest but not my upper arms they are way to muscular! Oh I want to some how grow my buttocks ofcourse any help over there?

1 person likes this

Posted

Also what works as well...Is of course cardio from running to biking to eliptical trainer. Also the p90 x dvd sets 1,2,3. An yoga and pilates.. Basically a combination of things. But you will have to find out wut works for you. As one routine may work for u & my not work for the next person. and vice versa.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I enjoy working out all of the time.  I swim a lot. Bike and run.  I did do weights twice weekly; haven't had time to do them much lately.  What I have noticed that even my firm arms do not seem to make much difference.  When I was close to my fittest body - I was very tan - and shaved: I was still mistaken as a girl almost all of the time, even in boy mode.  I guess I was not overly muscular but do look like an athletic girl.  I remember going to the gym lately and seeing some of the muscle gals there.  Several of them are much bigger than me, they lift heavy and do not care how big their muscles are.  I do like the trim look however and do not desire to have that kind of muscle.  So my advise is do what is good for your body - too much fitness can be damaging but the right amount is good for any body , male or female.:huh:Dicks_Sport_Store_-_WMNs_Outerware.thumbDicks_Sport_Store_-_WMNs_Outerware_9.thu

Edited by Dawn13
clarification
6 people like this

Posted

In the end the only muscle that counts is seeing a flat stomach. That is most noticed by all ppl. so says my workout buddy

4 people like this

Posted

The way I see for most genes, if you have a lot of muscle you need to lose it, if you are too boney you need to eat morebalance, whatever the scenario need to balance it out best one can. Worst case scenario do whatever one can to fit in that's it!

1 person likes this