9 posts in this topic

Posted

Pope Benedict XVI will seek an interreligious team to fight against marriage equality, especially in Western countries

22 December 2012 | By Joe Morgan

" Pope Benedict XVI has said the ‘traditional family’ must be protected, and stressed all faiths, even non-Christian religions, must come together to stop marriage equality." --gaystarnews.com

Pope wants all faiths to unite to fight gay marriage

See related:

Posted

Do any educated people really take the Pope seriously? Their record of crimes against humanity speaks for itself. The Catholic Church has a long history of standing on the wrong side of history.

Posted

If you aren't Catholic, or even if you are, why do you care what the Pope says? Can you still live your life the way that you want? Do I need his and his followers' acceptance? I can't think of any crimes against humanity that they have committed while I have been alive. Does the Catholic Church have an Army or something? Do they have large groups of radicals who go and kill in the name of God, like what is done in Islam? How come people aren't protesting outside of mosque's, or whenever a woman is put to death in a Muslim country. Yet, we make Christians out to be these evil people. Why?...because of marriage??? I personally think that marriage should be left up to Church and the government should get the heck out of the way. Being able to marry doesn't define me and it doesn't make me who I am. It does nothing for me. If two religious people see marriage as a covenant and they want to get married, then great...go do it. People don't want to hear it, but our society is rooted in Christianity...that's why we have the values that we have....unlike people from Muslim countries because they grow up with a completely different belief system. I think we ought to applaud Christianity for helping create such a free society. There will NEVER be a perfect society no matter what the politicians tell you....and if you are looking for the government to make it a perfect society, you are just putting all of our liberties at risk. That's just me...

1 person likes this

Posted

Do ya'all have any idea how many "EX Catholics " convert to Unitarian Unversalist churches ????????

Posted

I am just glad that they are free to do so.

Posted

Absolutely - the government should back out of the marriage business. The problem is that many governmental benefits, rights and protections are provided to married couples. In fact there are over 1000 of them in federal codes. So federal laws discriminate against same sex couples in many ways. Here is a very short list:

• No surviving partner benefits to same sex partners
  • No estate tax exemption
  • Same sex couples are not permitted to file joint tax returns
  • Same sex couples are not included in the Family and Medical Leave Act
  • Immigration laws pertaining to obtaining residency through marriage do not apply
  • Veteran and military benefits to surviving partners are not provided

Gay and lesbian couples simply want to be treated the same. Either do away with the institution of marriage or make it fair for everyone. That's a simple concept.

The Catholic Church (the subject of this thread) is promoting the bigotry that promotes discrimination against an innocent class of people. This kind of thinking has led to bullying of children in our schools and has ruined lives. Countless people have been murdered or driven to suicide simply because they were different.

If the Catholic Church stands against me, I will stand against them and call them out for the outrageous conduct. This doesn't mean I have anything against people who hold religious beliefs. Quite the opposite actually. I support everyone's' right to believe whatever they choose. I even have my own religious beliefs.

2 people like this

Posted

"If you aren't Catholic, or even if you are, why do you care what the Pope says?" --amber

A person might not care what the Pope says, however, considering so many Christians believe that homosexuality (or as they exuse thier bigotry away now - "acting on one's homosexual tendancies") is wrong, and therefore want to deprive GLBT people the right to marry...the Pope is sure to garner support from not just Christians, but from many other religions also.

In fact, his call for all faiths to unite in this fight could be the one thing that finally brings many religions together for a common cause...a cause they feel wholly justified in - to deprive a group of people an institution based soley on how the people of that group identify. Some of these same religious people are in positions to make or repeal laws, or at least in positions to pressure lawmakers to turn down or repeal laws that protect GLBT people. A classic example on a smaller scale -

So, whether you want to get married or not, whether you believe in marriage or not, does not mean everyone is of like mind. There are GLBT people who want to marry, and when they do, they want the same benefits as male/female marriages, and they want to be treated the same under the law.

True, marriage does not define a person, but for the most part right now, the law defines marriage. And because of that definition, the law creates a definition of GLBT people - that being, we are not worthy.

So no, marriage does not define you. But in some ways, Catholic or not, religious or not, what the Pope says can potentially affect GLBT people on this score (check out the definition of this particular forum). And a definition of what constitutes an acceptable marriage in most parts of this country, means that you don't even have the choice to decide whether you want to marry or not, or to whom.

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

Religions don't give you any civil liberties they restrict them. It is a "do what we tell you to do or else" system. No voting. Our political systems are what gives us our rights and freedoms and others don't. What is interfering with our rights and freedoms is religious opinion and the more we separate religion from state the better we will be. The word 'love' is what keeps being left out of all these arguments or discussions about marriage equality and it is more about 'family values' as if gay and lesbian families have no values. What the Pope fears the most is the reduction in the number of Catholics versus the number of Muslims. Christians in general can be counted on the Catholic side of things. The real issue here is how to get christians to start having more children thus the ban on contraception or the argument against it. Gays and lesbians, how many children can they have?

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

"The real issue here is how to get christians to start having more children thus the ban on contraception or the argument against it." --Bonnie

AMEN!!

This is one of the theories of the "quiverfull" movement, and why the people of this movement have so many children - an attempt to "outnumber the enemy." Who is the enemy? Anyone who doesn't subscribe to their religiously (Christian) ultra conservative lifestyle, and of course...people like us.

Quiverfull

"Gays and lesbians, how many children can they have?" --Bonnie

Conservatives claim that GLBT people "recruit" their children to the "gay lifestyle. They fail to understand or realize that GLBT people don't make GLBT people.

Q: How do you decrease, and eventually eliminate the GLBT population?

A: Stop heterosexuals from having babies.

1 person likes this