10 posts in this topic

Posted

Investigation into doctor who treats gender reassignment patients accused of being a 'witch hunt' by NHS

07 January 2013 | By Matthew Jenkin

" A doctor who treated trans men and women seeking gender reassignment is being investigated after several patients complained about his practices." --gaystarnews.com

Doctor probed over trans patient complaints

Posted

I'm not sure what really happened here, but I don't see this being a good thing for transgender patients who need to seek treatment. I could see this situation being used as a basis for discrimination against transgender patients as they seek the medical attention they need. It is also likely to have a negative impact on the number of physicians willing to provide transgender medical care.

1 person likes this

Posted

It sounds to me like the doctor was providing medical services to transgender individuals who had not seen therapists - he was doing it all. He was apparently found out when someone decided to blame the doctor for performing a surgery requested by the alleged trans patient, who then later perhaps decided he wasn't trans after all.

It's my understanding that in this country, if you happen to have an open-minded doctor who also has had some training in [psychology?], a person could skip the therapist if his/her doctor felt the person was truly trans and would benefit from at least HRT. But apparently...skipping any steps in the system in the UK is frowned upon perhaps more so than in the US.

No matter, though, I sorta think it's unfortunate that if you go to a doctor requesting help, and that doctor provides that help in good faith, how a person can then turn around and file a complaint, or worse - sue. But we've had such discussions in the past, and this is one of the arguments for making people see therapists first. But I'm sort of of a mind that if you are an adult, you know what you are asking for. And once it's all explained and discussed, I think somewhere along the line, an adult needs to step and take responsibility for his/her actions.

I will agree that the doctor should be investigated for providing hormones to a minor (and I suppose without the parent's knowledge or permission), and perhaps even for not referring a patient he prescribed hormones for, to an endocrinologist.

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

The doctor isn't being investigated. The complaints are being investigated. Their is a difference. Hopefully the complaints will prove groundless. The rumour in the UK is that rival doctors are trying to discredit him for some strange reason. Oddly enough the day before this story broke I was at a meeting of my trans-woman support group and one of the other women was saying what a good and understanding doctor Richard Curtis is and recommended that I give him a call.

1 person likes this

Posted

I talked to a TG person a number of years ago in a bar in Toronto and she was telling us that she was involved in helping 4 people sue for malpractice because they felt they were duped into believing they were transsexual and went as far as SRS. They now regretted their decisions because life was not like they had imagined it would be post-op. To me the law suit would be against the therapist(s) and not the surgeons. Also, I would still take the therapist(s) side because they insist on living as the opposite gender for at least a year full time so how is it that the people did not know what life would be like? Just my opinion.

Bonnie

Posted

I realize there is a lot involved when it comes to trans issues. But this has become a society where everyone else is to blame. It's sad that at some point, people do not take responsibility for their own actions.

I have to agree, Bonnie, if a person is in a country where the therapists force a person to endure a year's worth of therapy, and a year's worth of RLT before they can even get on HRT...somewhere along the line, the patient had to have played a part in his or her....hmmmmm... "misdiagnosis?"

1 person likes this

Posted

So here is a reverse question. Instead of sueing doctors that are providing a good service, how about sueing doctors, isurance companies, etc, that refuse to provide service? That still to this day, want to see trans surgeries as cosmetic. Even the AMA has stated that trans surgeries are medically necessary. Unfortunately, the medical profession sees the few, that haven't adhered to the standards of care and change their minds. And these few idiots, to this day, prevent the 99% from getting care.

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree. But maybe the ability to sue for denial of care/insurance benefits vs suing for malpractice is based in law. The AMA has called for insurance companies to stop treating transpeople differently...but there is nothing in place to enforce that.

I think if a transperson took an insurance company and/or doctor(s) to court...perhaps a judge would have to side with the person suing considering the AMA's stand on the situation...and other information that is available now. But no doubt, a reluctant insurance company would pull in every "expert" they could for their side. The would have the money to fight it, and fight it for some time.

Meanwhile, the transperson is exposed to the media and anyone who wants to take pot-shots at the transcommunity. And such an endeavor could break the person emotionally, and financially if trans-related medical procedures didn't already do so.

Seems like a vicious catch-22.

Posted

I have complained about that issue before in another post or two regarding the classification of necessary treatments as cosmetic such as electolysis, facial feminization surgery, etc. Once someone is diagnosed as transsexual then everything regarding the transitioning should be covered medically/psychologically. I am not sure about covering breast forms, packs, binders during the pre-op period but is something to be considered and possibly discussed in a new topic.

Bonnie

Posted

UK medical watchdog to investigate if doctors mistreated trans patients

General Medical Council to look at 39 cases brought to them by trans campaigners against medical professionals. Claims include sexual abuse and damaging treatment

12 March 2013 | By Jane Fae

" Speaking at the Trans Health Matters Conference, hosted by LGBT Consortium, this afternoon, Helen Belcher, a member of the UK Parliamentary Forum on Gender Identity and GSN contributor, will provide significant new insight into how trans individuals experience healthcare." --gaystarnews.com