19 posts in this topic

Posted

Observer columnist has defended Suzanne Moore by calling transgender people a 'bunch of bed-wetters in bad wigs'

13 January 2013 | By Joe Morgan

" The 53-year-old self-described 'militant feminist' began by defending fellow columnist and friend Suzanne Moore for saying women should not have the body ideal of a 'Brazilian transsexual'. " --gaystarnews.com

Julie Burchill's anti-trans 'dicks in chicks' clothing' article sparks outrage

Note: According to info on The Observer, Burchill's article is the subject of an inquiry. I have coped and saved her article (linked in the gaystarnews.com article) in case The Observer sees fit to remove it. If that happens, I will attach the article for anyone who wants to read it.

Posted

Such anger! She was way over the top. She apparently said we were like gang members who kill when not shone respect but then went and did almost the same thing!

Posted

Michael, tell this gal to find a friend on on dem sexy sites !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I had never heard of Julie Burchill until running across this article today. She appears to be a bitter, sharp-tongued man-hater with a serious chip on her shoulder. It appears she also dislikes transwomen, whom she apparently believes to be nothing but men. Which she hates.

While her comments are pretty vile toward transpeople -transwomen specifically- the over-all tone of her article or comment (whatever it is) leads me to believe that she dislikes anyone who isn't a white feminist woman who didn't come from money, and unfortunately, transwomen just happened to be her target of the day.

1 person likes this

Posted

I look at it this way; anyone who has to put down others, I find, are often dealing with their own issues. If Burchill hates men, that's her problem. If she hates trans people, that her problem. I hope she doesn't think that someone will not take her task on this because someone will.

1 person likes this

Posted

Michael, there unfournately are "MANY MANY so called "Feminist's out there who have a hatred of BOTH men and Transwomen. . To them, we're "Freaks of Nature ". I recall a gathering of Lesbian Feminists several years ago up in Michigan where it was stated at the gate , "NO TRANSWOMEN ADMITTED , or WELCOME " . Yes, I see it here , well in my city of Richmond Virginia . Now they may not be as verbal as say what I recall in Houston Texas years ago, they're out there and yep, just as nasty an spiteful.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've followed Julie's career all my adult life, we are the same age. She used to be a really good social commentator. I didn't always agree with what she had to say but I never thought she was hateful. Somewhere along the way she went 'wrong', and became bit like a 'shock jock'. I spent most of yesterday writing to the editors, along with thousands of other people. I think this will mark a turning point in the battle against transphobia. A lot of fair minded, cis gender, people are honestly appalled. The Guardian/Observer is supposed to be a liberal paper famed for it's campaigning stance on human rights issues and it has stooped to publishing this! I used to buy it regularly but never will again while they employ Julie Birchill.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just one thing Micheal. Julie hates people who DO come from money or have a college education. If you aren't self made then you are over privileged.

Posted

Just one thing Micheal. Julie hates people who DO come from money or have a college education. If you aren't self made then you are over privileged.

Yes...that was what I was trying to say, but my wording could lead a reader in either direction. I read that over several times before and after I posted it because it didn't seem to be clear. When I finally decided to post it as you see it now... I hoped for the best... :lol:

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say.

-Michael

Posted

Gee, two strikes for me ................ I'm Transgendered and I spent two years at Virginia Commonwealth University and one year at UCLA............

Posted

:lol:

I guess dear Julie wouldn't like you at all, Ellen. But hey...that's her loss, eh?

Posted

UPDATE --

Observer withdraws Burchill article and Moore apologizes

'We got it wrong' says Observer editor and Suzanne Moore apologizes, no apology from Julie Burchill

15 January 2013 | By Anna Leach

"The editor of UK's Observer newspaper has withdrawn an article riddled with trans slurs, apologized and said 'we got it wrong'." --gaystarnews.com

Posted

Protestors to picket newspapers after Burchill trans hate rant

The Observer newspaper under pressure as anti-transphobia protesters gear up for demonstration

16 January 2013 | By Ray Filar

" Around 300 attendees are expected to demonstrate outside of the London offices of the Observer newspaper, part of the Guardian Media Group." --gaystarnews.com

Posted

Over 150 attend vigil against UK newspaper for printing trans hate speech

Trans supports express disappointment with The Observer for publishing a Julie Burchill comment piece littered with trans slurs

18 January 2013 | By Anna Leach

" Over 150 attended a vigil against transphobia outside the office of The Observer newspaper in London last night.

"The vigil was in response to a column by Julie Burchill published in last Sunday's Observer which was littered with trans slurs." --gaystarnews.com

Posted

Press Complaints Commission launches inquiry into Burchill’s anti-trans column

The Observer, who were the first to post the article, reveal the results of their own inquiry

18 January 2013 | By Joe Morgan

" The commission decided to act after receiving 800 complaints about the article, which was removed from the newspaper’s sister website The Guardian.co.uk soon after it was published on 13 January." --gaystarnews.com

Posted

UPDATE --

UK's PCC Decides Column Was Not Predjudicial or Pejorative

Press self-regulating body rejects 800 complaints about a column that referred to trans people as 'dicks in chicks'

27 March 2013 | By Anna Leach

" The UK's Press Complaints Commission (PCC), the current self-regulatory body for print media, has decided that a column describing transgender people as 'dicks in chicks'* among other slurs was not prejudicial or pejorative." --gaystarnews.com

*"Dicks in chicks' clothing " was the actual comment.

See related:

Posted

Really? What planet is this commission on? Probably got paid off by the paper.

:o

Posted

Really? What planet is this commission on? Probably got paid off by the paper.

:o

Sadly, I believe the PCC made their unfeeling ruling based on their own Code of Conduct that unfortunately does not include any reference to gender identity. They're dismissing complaints and looking the other way on a simple, but harmful, technicality.

But it's also disgusting that ANY code must be in place, and meticulously worded just to keep this kind of "reporting" from happening.

-Michael

Posted

This story reminds me of what happened after the Stonewall Riots in 1969. The spark that got it started was set by a transsexual woman and a butch lesbian. Afterwards all the leadership postions were secured by predominantly white, gay, middle clas males. Instead of fighting for justice and equality for all, the were more interested in looking presentable to the cis folks. Transgender people were shunted to the margis. Women noticed this and wound up forming their own organizations. They too did not look fondly on transgender people as allies. Some felt that trans people would harm their movement. Ms. Burchill is part of this group.

If you look at all the major LGBT organizations, how many transgender people (and people of color in particular) do you see on the boards of directors? They can't talk about diversity because their boards do NOT reflect their talk. When I read the TDOR site of transgender people murdered, the vast majority of them are women of color. My wife and I discussed this a few nights back. I thank God that I haven't experienced any incidents.

The Human Rights Campaign through transgender people under the bus in 2007. I will NEVER support them or any other organization that does this. IMHO, if transgender equality was passed back then, everything else would have fallen in place. Transgender takes in many things such as identity, expression,and sexuality among them.

1 person likes this