What does the Bible say about transgender?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I was up early this morning so started researching that question. I was amazed at all the opposing veiws. Some churches call it a sin while others call it acceptable. No wonder so many lose their faith. No wonder so many are confused. So, I thought I would add my two cents. I was brought up in, and still adhere to one of the most conservative religions out there. Independant Fundamental Baptist. And, being a born again christian, indwealt by the Holy Spirit, I was told, the Holy Spirit will never allow you to pray for something that goes against God's will for your life. So, before i did anything about transitioning, I prayed for 2 years, and never once felt convicted. And now, years later, I have a deeper more personal relationship with God than I have ever known. Am i deceived as some conservative churches like to use as an excuse? Absolutely not. Because i know that my God is not a God of confusion. He is a God of...yes is yes, and no is no.

3 people like this

Posted

I am the last person qualified to argue/debate the fine print of christianity. But I see one stark conflict in your post.

The title of your post, "what does the bible say about transgender? "

A line in your post, "some churches call [transgender] a sin, others call it acceptable."

What a church says is not always what the bible says, or what the bible even meant. Quite often (too often), man interprets what's in the bible to suit his own purposes. Interpretation is dictated by the era. Most interpretation, no matter by whom or no matter the era, usually ends up being bad news for some group.

I think everyone might be better off if we went with what is actually in the bible (or not in the bible) about transgender people...instead of what the church and it's congregants say about it, as too often those [mis]interpretations have been so twisted to justify the intolerances of the time.

That being said...I believe you are on the best track, and that is, to believe in a God that is a loving God. A God that does not condemn any person for simply being the best person he can be.

-Michael

4 people like this

Posted

I agree. I have always belived that Christ did'nt come to bring us a religion, but a way to be in relationship. At the same time I know many trans people give up their faith because of church doctrine. I was posting that even though I came up in a very fundamental belief system, I know that I am the man God meant me to be. Kind of the idea of listen to what God tells you vs. what the world tells you.

1 person likes this

Posted

I admire and applaud your convictions and faith. It is good that you could hang in there, despite any who might say it is wrong or against God to be trans. As you said, many give up their faith because of the church...and that is sad.

I, personally, did not turn my back on religion because of the attitude toward GLBT people. At the time, I don't really think I knew much about "GLBT," and therefore was unaware of how many feel about the gay and trans community. Heck, for that matter, at the time, I didn't even know the terms "transsexual" or "transgender." Instead, my exit from the church was because of what the people of the church did to their own priest. I couldn't deal with the hypocracy, and how people turned on the person who was always there for them, like a pack of rabid dogs.

I decided then, I did not need to congregate in a certain place, to sit beside those who would not give me the time of day between Monday and Saturday, to be a good person. I decided that being a good person, and trying my best to treat others the way I would want to be treated, would be good enough to get me a seat in heaven - if there is one.

I realize there is more to Christianity than just "being a good person." But I have, for a very long time, been of the belief that if people were good and good to each other, there would be no need for religion.

It has only been in later years, having learned about how people treat GLBT people, that I have added that to my other issues with organized religion.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

Hawkman, I too applaud you're thoughts . In addition, I want to send a copy of ALL the responses to my pastor who herself is Gay. See, I'm the ONLY transperson within my church which unto itself is a GLBT Friendly church, the Unitarian Universalist church . Now not all Unitarian congregations identify as GLBT inclusive . The one I attend here in Richmond Virginia does .

2 people like this

Posted

There is definately a difference from having a religion and having a faith in God. And yea Michael . I hear what you are saying about organized religion. As i have always said, Christ did'nt die to give us a religion. but a way to have an intimate, unique , realtionship with Him. There comes a point where it doesn't matter what a church might say. There comes a point, where God. speaking to your heart, tells you the truth.

2 people like this

Posted

Hawkman, I really like where yer commin from Brutha..................

1 person likes this

Posted

Hawkman, I too applaud you're thoughts . In addition, I want to send a copy of ALL the responses to my pastor who herself is Gay. See, I'm the ONLY transperson within my church which unto itself is a GLBT Friendly church, the Unitarian Universalist church . Now not all Unitarian congregations identify as GLBT inclusive . The one I attend here in Richmond Virginia does .

Ellen, I'd like a copy too.

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree. I have a radio show on the internet in which I will discuss this matter in light

of the bible.

2 people like this

Posted

Quite often (too often), man interprets what's in the bible to suit his own purposes. Interpretation is dictated by the era. Most interpretation, no matter by whom or no matter the era, usually ends up being bad news for some group.

I hear a lot of this going on too! I don't care much for religion and about a year ago I stopped calling myself Christian. I just don't get it religion is so full men's doctrine and evil agendas it's not Christianity anymore. No, I declare to be a disciple (student) of Jesus the Christ, but not Christian. Although I may be in the body of Christ I still have a ways to go before I can be called Christ - like.  I actually do read the Bible and so when I hear someone reading scripture out loud and it is a verse  that I am familiar with I will look it up if it sounds to be out of context. Sometimes interpretation is hard and there are so many different opinions and studied facts and reports that it seems that the world is overthinking the bible. Study to show yourselves approved. What really bothers me is some of these over zealous "Christians that listen to a preacher and thinks that must be true and right and every time. It seems like their reasoning evolves on a regular basis. I get so tired of hearing someone trying to convict my heart, but God doesn't seem to be, but rather it feels like he encourages. He is after all a true and faithful, loving an kind and never changing. If He weren't nobody would be here.

2 people like this

Posted

Hiya Bree. My Late-Grandfather, ( My Dad's Father, was a Church Of England Vicar. Sadly, He passed-away, just before I was 4 1/2 Year's of Age. The one thing that He taught Me, was to treat other People, the way that I would like to be treated. He also told Me, just to take notice of the authorised King James version of the Bible, and Not other twisted version's, by bigot's. I Am a Non-Practising Christian, which means that even though I Am a Believer, I do Not go to Church or anything. I say that everybody should make up Their Own mind's. Bree, Take Care, And My Very Best Wishes, Love Stephanie. xxxx 

1 person likes this

Posted

I have very much enjoyed reading this post and it's replies.

Here's my little bit of two cents worth.

I grew up in a Christian home threw the Nazarene Church, and their holiness doctrine. However over the years I found that everyone even a pastor is imperfect as I had a couple non gender conflicts with two different pastors. in that I stopped attending church. for a while. but in all that time I kept my beliefs, as there were things that took place in my life, that can only be explained by Gods grace and his angels. and hence is the reason I am still here and typing this reply. I know in my heart where I stand. with God and part of my belief is, their is only one person I will be answering to and have to explain my actions to; Though he already knows my heart and soul. and its is not any one that is on this earth. and right or wrong I am living as I feel I need to it took a long time to get to this point.

I had a emotional crisis just yesterday  and the person on the crisis's line let me know he him self was Christian and more less said that who is to say this is not Gods Path for you ? who is to say that this is a way for you to show your faith even if you don't openly tell others about your faith. there are those that will just come up and tell you that you need saved. then there are those that, if they are asked? you are more then willing to tell them of your experiences and not push the issue and let that person decide.

I feel that everyone's path is set before them, as God knows your path, even before you know it.

1 person likes this