Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

12 posts in this topic

Posted

BY Michelle Garcia, February 11 2013 11:53 AM ET

"Equally Blessed, an LGBT-inclusive Catholic group, issued a statement upon Benedict's announcement, and said they were "grateful that Pope Benedict XVI had the foresight and humility to resign his office for the sake of the church to which he has given his life."

"The organization added that the Roman Catholic Church now has the opportunity to change the church and overturn oppressice, homophobic policies." --advocate.com

Pope Benedict XVI Announces Resignation

Posted

My ex made an interesting observation today. She said , and I concur that Pope Benedict decided to step down because his "Past " is fast catching up to his presence ...............

1 person likes this

Posted

Gay groups react to resignation of Pope Benedict XVI

After the Pope's resignation, LGBT activists in Italy and across the world are split on the future of the Roman Catholic Church

11 February 2013 | By Daniele Guido Gessa

" ‘I’m optimistic, I think that the new Pope could only be a better one. The Vatican has understood that they have made a lot of mistakes, on human rights, on LGBT rights, on condoms, on new families and on modern needs of contemporary people." --gaystarnews

Posted

I saw the announcement yesterday. My first thought was that he has only upheld the patriarchal status quo. Now he is fated to go down in history as a Pope who stood on the wrong side of history. He leaves a legacy of attacking anyone in the church who dared share a dissenting view. Meanwhile the Catholic Church is out of touch with the modern world and membership is declining sharply.

It's hard for me to be optimistic given the horrible track record of the Catholic Church, on human rights. I hope the Pope's successor will prove me wrong.

Posted

I know folks say I'm Debbie Downer , yes, I bring bad newzzzzzzzzzz.

As long as the Cardinals are of European descent , things won't change if any at all. Common people , there are way too many money trails covering too many lies, misdeeds and crooked parishes . This much I do know , I used to spend a lot of time in the Bayou. Oh, that's the Louisiana swamp lands for all the rest of ya's . Politics there were ........... hummmm, well, they were syrupy. So be Catholic Bishops . So be Catholic higher icy. Now nothing bad about these people , but they have a lot to cover for . Hell, this is akin to sayin Congress is going to do an "ABOUT FACE " an do exactly what the Constitution sez. Yeah, that an a nickel still won't buy yer way to heaven !

Posted

Pope Benedict was always meant as an interim pontiff-- he was elected at age 78 after all. (It was a fast seven years, no?)

I'm hearing the next Pope will be from Latin America.

Annie

Posted

There is a big divide between the Catholic populace and the hierarchy of the church. Many LGBT people

are of the Catholic faith. You notice that when a new pope is elected it's always a person from the old guard.

:(

Posted

It's interesting. EVERY Sunday, I'm surprised as to how many Catholic people are now becoming regular visitors to my church , a local Unitarian Universalist church.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ellen, perhaps your church has something that they are looking for.

:)

Posted

Ellen, perhaps your church has something that they are looking for.

:)

Could it be NO CHILD MOLESTATION ?

NO HOMO PHOBIA ?

NO TRANSPHOBIA, Equal rights for same sex partners , Marriage equality , No color barriers ???

Damn, I'm at a complete loss now !

1 person likes this

Posted

Could be. What the Catholic church neglects or conveniently ignores is that there are many LGBT people in their flock-and in leadership positions.

Posted

Africa and South America have a lot of conservative Catholics. I'm not expecting any major changes.

Although...

...if there's a sequal to Vatican II, maybe it will be Vatican 3D?