Transgender Guide Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Lori

Transgender Latin Americans face violence, bigotry

Transgender Latin Americans face violence, bigotry

Reuters AlertNet

Transgender Latin Americans face violence, bigotry. A transgender sex worker looks waits for customers on a street in Tegucigalpa, Honduras...

I'm not exactly sure why they had to use a transgender sex worker (as opposed to perhaps a transgender community volunteer) to illustrate their story. I suppose transgender people are so marginalized that the sex workers tend to become synonymous. That is a sad reality for many, even in more "civilized societies." But in any event, the statistics are alarming and unacceptable. I hope a focus on human rights will lead to a better life for our transgender brothers and sisters in these countries. ~ Lori

"I'm not exactly sure why they had to use a transgender sex worker (as opposed to perhaps a transgender community volunteer) to illustrate their story. I suppose transgender people are so marginalized that the sex workers tend to become synonymous." -Lori

I get the impression that prostitution is unfortunately where most transwomen in these countries end up. Could be that because of the way transgender people are treated, those [women] who can blend successfully into society - if they exist, do so and remain stealth...thereby, their existence is inaccessable to those who make reports, compile data and provide information, and reporters. This would limit a reporter's resources.

Is it possible that there are no women victims who are not in the sex industry? It seems that only those who have achieved some kind of fame and/or fortune who have somehow avoided the violence that runs rampant in some of these Latin-American countries.

• Like 1

When people lack the opportunity for a quality education and meaningful employment it's not surprising that they gravitate to activities that do not serve their best interests. It's true in an poor city or town in America. It's true in Latin America, where machismo is dominant.

• Like 1