Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Historic day May 14, 2013 in Minnesota

7 posts in this topic

Posted

At noon today Governor Mark Dayton signed the "Freedom To Marry" bill or otherwise known as "Same Sex Marriage" bill. This probably does not affect most transgendered persons, however may be a step forward for future transgender rights law in Minnesota. Minnesota does have a decent transgender law, however the wording needs to be updated. Sexual orientation was added to the Human Rights Act in 1993 http://mn.gov/mdhr/e...rotections.html

Janet

Posted

Janet, does the law have provisions for public accommodations?

I'll need to take a look at the law.

1 person likes this

Posted

Janet, does the law have provisions for public accommodations?

I'll need to take a look at the law.

Yes!

Under the Minnesota Human Rights Act, transgendered individuals -- like all other Minnesotans -- are entitled to be free from discrimination based on their sexual orientation. This protection extends, with some limitations and exceptions, to all areas covered by the Act: employment, housing, public accommodations, public services, education and business and credit. Transgendered individuals are not entitled to have their sexual orientation "reasonably accommodated" by an employer or anyone else. A reasonable accommodation is typically a modification of some kind, as might be provided in a work environment for an individual with a disability"

Also some of the major Fortune 500 companies here in Minnesota are allowing MTF use women's restrooms, also many are installing gender neutral restroom and locker changing faculties.

Also some of those same companies are providing health benefits for individuals undergoing transition, therapy, needed medications and GRS. One MTF had most of their transition expenses covered by their companies health plan. There were a few out of pocket expenses, such as the cost of flight to and from the clinic where the surgery was performed.

Janet

Posted

"At noon today Governor Mark Dayton signed the "Freedom To Marry" bill or otherwise known as "Same Sex Marriage" bill. This probably does not affect most transgendered persons,..." --Janet

In some ways, it could possibly affect more transpeople than we might think. A perfect example would be if a state will not allow a transperson to change his/her BC, and/or government issued ID's (but thankfully, this is slowly changing). When it comes to getting married, a marriage between a [tran]swoman and a man, or a [trans]man and a woman, could be considered a same-sex marriage by a state that doesn't have marriage equality laws. I don't know if Ohio has passed any kind of marriage equality law yet, but that state would be a perfect example of a place that could possibly make it difficult for a hetero [trans]man/woman to get married.

-Michael

Posted

Idunno................ Minnesota is too damned cold for me . I guess I'll continue to visit in my soon to be adopted home of North Carolina

Posted

One thing to remember; if you can handle the cold, then you can live in Minnesota.

1 person likes this

Posted

One thing to remember; if you can handle the cold, then you can live in Minnesota.

I worked in Ft Lauderdale, FL a few winters. It was nice and warm and even HOT at times. The humidity was difficult to adjust to. Minnesota has maybe a few weeks late August of high humid weather coupled by 90 degree temperatures. Also lived in the Chicago, IL area for six years, not quite as cold as Minnesota, still was "homesick" and returned to Minnesota after the contract agency folded that provided me employment there.