5 posts in this topic

Posted

Written by WiG, Jun 4, 2013

"The report, announced June 4, provides a clearer picture of support for anti-discrimination legislation in the business community. Surveys – and policies – have for years shown strong support at some of nation’s largest and wealthiest companies, the Fortune 500 members. Also, activists on the right have long maintained – erroneously – that broadening anti-discrimination laws to include LGBT people puts an added and unwanted burden on small business owners." --wisconsingazette.com

Small business survey finds strong support for laws protecting LGBT workers

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for sharing this report , I found it an interesting read !

Posted

I thought it was interesting too, Ellen. I sorta think that small business could be one of the stronger catalists that could cause change for the good and more of it. Small business has deep roots, and represents the little man much more than big business can. So while huge corporations have broadened their protection policies for transpeople, it's the small businesses that are the heart of America and are more grounded in everyday life than the big companies that most people never come in contact with.

Let's hope for the best with this news.

-Michael

Posted

I had commented about small businesses like the bridal shop, not being able to refuse a customer unless they are doing something illegal.

Bonnie

Posted

"I had commented about small businesses like the bridal shop, not being able to refuse a customer unless they are doing something illegal." --Bonnie

It's nice to find out that perhaps this shop and its owner, might be in the minority. I agree that a business open to the public shouldn't be able to refuse to serve a customer...but no doubt in places where there are no protections for GLBT people, and especially transpeople, such places can apparently get away with discrimination.