Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Social Security to ease requirements for transgender people

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Great news!

Posted

O K , spill da beans , how do you find dealing with ANY social security issue easier ? Some of wanna know !

Posted

OMG!!!!!

Posted

Great news! Now only if drivers licenses were easy to change in South Dakota

Posted

... and birth certificates in South Carolina.

The rules are different everywhere. It's ridiculous.

Posted

Okay, Finally SSA makes Changes to Policy on Gender marker.

Yup you read that right. It's a new day and the sun just came out, So finally your in for getting this one done then going to the drivers licence office and getting that fixed as well ( because most states wont change gender marker or name unless it has been changed at Social Security first. Congratulations it is Glorious I tell you.

So Read this from SSA:

http://ssa-custhelp....security-record

Here's the cool section and what that means to you:

"or a medical certification of appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition in the form of an original letter from a licensed physician)."

Now, what this means is your no longer required to have SRS and a letter stating such action has occurred by the preforming Surgeon, Now you simply need a Letter From your Doctor, or Psychologist, both of whom have Degree's stating they are either A, Ph.D or Psy.D both will suffice in the Licensed Physician aspect of the ruling .

Now for the Letters They should look something like these examples:

I,' (physician’s' full' name),' (physician’s' medical' license' or' certificate' number),' (issuing' U.S.'

State/Foreign' Country' of' medical' license/certificate),' (DEA' Registration' number' or'

comparable'foreign'designation),'am'the'physician'of'(name'of'patient),'with'whom'I'have'a'

doctor/patient'relationship'and'whom'I'have'treated'(or'with'whom'I'have'a'doctor/patient'

relationship'and'whose'medical'history'I'have'reviewed'and'evaluated).'

(Name'of'patient)'has'had'appropriate'clinical' treatment' for'gender' transition' to the'new'

gender'(specify'new'gender'male'or'female).

I'declare'under'penalty'of'perjury'under'the'laws'of'the'United'States'that'the' forgoing'is'

true'and'correct.

Signature

Typed'Name

Date

2nd:

I,'(physician’s'full'name),'(physician’s'medical'license'or'certificate'number),'(issuing'U.S.'

State/Foreign'Country'of'medical'license/certificate),'(DEA'Registration'number'or'comparable'

foreign'designation),'am'the'physician'of'(name'of'patient),'with'whom'I'have'a'doctor/patient'

relationship'and'whom'I'have'treated'for'____________.

_______________ has'been'diagnosed'with'GID'and'meets'the'DSMPIV'criteria'for'Gender'

Identity'Disorder'(302.85);

According'to'international'guidelines'set'forth'in'the'World'Professional'Association'for'

Transgender'Health'(WPATH),'it'is'now'necessary'for'the'patient'to'live'fullPtime'for'at'least'one'

year'in'the'new'gender,'in'preparation'for'the'upcoming'Gender'Reassignment'Surgery;

__________ is irrevocably committed to'the'sex'change'procedure;'(exact'wording'is'extremely'

important)

It'is'appropriate'at'this'time'to'grant'the'patient’s'request'for'name'change'and'gender'marker'

change,'and'that'doing'so'will'provide'the'ability'to'correct'his/her'personal'identification'to'

reflect'his/her'new'role;

(Name'of'patient)'has'had'appropriate'clinical' treatment' for'gender' transition' to the'new'

gender'(specify'new'gender'male'or'female).

I'declare'under'penalty'of'perjury'under'the'laws'of'the'United'States'that'the' forgoing'is'

true'and'correct.

Signature

Typed'Name

Date

The second letter will work as well for petitioning the court for a legal name change/gender change, do them both at the same time and have the same case code on both or you'll end up paying twice for the documents to be processed through the court.

So recap:

First Get Name Change and gender if allowed in your state, if not that's a matter for later.

Second get Letters from doctors I suggest one of each from Both doctors. the letters are to be originals on the doctors letterhead , get an additional copy if you wish to do your passport because it requires the same letter to make proper changes.

Third get Drivers license done . Using a copy of letters should get this done as well as the courts name change. All have to be original's or certified Copies.

Fourth take your new SS card, Drivers license, and name change to all respective locations that have you under old name and gender. ie: Bank, Utilities, Lease or Mortgage co, Phone, you get it.

So cool I can't stop grinning.

All the best

Stephani