Transgender Guide Message Board

Police refuse to confirm or deny whether they have made an arrest but say it was not a hate crime

26 June 2013 | By Joe Morgan

"The victim, who unbelievably managed to survive her ordeal, said she and the attacker entered through a door detached from its hinges. The man then stabbed her for ‘unknown reasons’, according to the police report." --gaystarnews.com

Trans woman stabbed 40 times in Washington DC

Edited by UsernameOptional
-- link updated 05 Jul 2013

The only reason I can see why the police are not saying it was a hate crime is because the guy's advances were turned down. So they figure it was a crime of passion or whatever. Why she went to meet him in a secluded area late at night I have no idea. -- Bonnie

"Why she went to meet him in a secluded area late at night I have no idea." -- Bonnie

People should probably have the right to go anywhere they want at any time without having to worry about something bad happening to them. And of course, it shouldn't be implied that a person invited harm or deserved what they got. But too often, we hear about these kinds of things, and surely many of us wonder, "what was s/he doing out at that time in a place known for being unsafe?"

Transpeople have enough problem navigating through the daytime in places that should be safe... we, and more specifically [trans]women, shouldn't be frequenting places that even cisgender men wouldn't go.

Whether the attack was the result of a guy's advances being turned down or not, I sorta think that excusing certain actions as a "crime of passion" is ridiculous. It's just my opinion, but I think that is one antiquated law that needs to be purged from every law book in the civilized world.

Why she went is not giving justification but I was questioning it mostly because she turned down his advances in the first place. Also, classifying it is more for statistical purposes than anything else in this case since it was obviously attempted murder.