One thing therapists don't teach

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Thought I would put this out there. I was in therapy for many years. Back before transitioning, I was very self-harming with many suicide attempts. Today, I still struggle sometimes with the old thought patterns. One thing therapists don't teach is how to deal with the good feelings that start happening. Even though it's been a while since I have done the therapy stuff, I still have days, like today, where I feel so good and it is still foreign to me. So I want to bring myself down. Because being down is familiar territory. Luckily, I have been working with a life coach, so I am able to stop the downward momentum quickly. I just think more therapists should deal with the upside of life instead of always concentrating on the problems.

5 people like this

Posted

Excellent post sir ! Excellent !

1 person likes this

Posted

Interesting. That's probably something I should keep in mind, as I've never been able to take compliments easily - I've never known how. I see others do so with grace, sincerity and humility. I usually stumble over any words of thanks that happen to be floating around in my mouth, or I end up dumb-struck and then look like I'm snubbing the individual who thought enough of me to say something.

I'm sure this stems from never having had any confidence in myself playing the role of a female, feeling like an imposter under a microscope, with something to hide to boot...always trying to avoid notice, critiquing, and if it happened - any recognition.

Maybe somewhere deep down, I couldn't accept compliments because I knew the compliments weren't really for me... but for the person people thought they knew. Maybe I've just always had a hard time accepting recognition for "someone else."

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

Michael, take dis to any bank an cash it in. First, you sir are someone whom I respect and admire . I don't say this lightly either , ask Stephani who has me on Speed dial . ellen

2 people like this

Posted

How we think makes all the difference. People and society heep all their garbage

and negativity on us. We don't have to accept it or receive it. Took me some time

to do this and I have succeeded.

:D

2 people like this

Posted

i didnt get it. you felt down and up's streams of joy cause of hormones?

Posted

Stephaniie, Hawkman does not take Hormones if memory serves me, so The notion of Hormones causing euphoric feelings for him doesn't play into the statement, he has gone through a lot in the last what five or so years and if my memory isn't as far gone as I think for a great many more prior to that. So when he has a great or good day, it is because he deserves it on a daily basis. As do we all, So when they come accept them embrace them and take joy in them, because as stated the feeling of sadness and annex will soon be back within our minds soon enough, take heart knowing your special in your own ways and when some one stands up and offers you a kind word in acknowledgement accept it graciously and with dignity and offer one in return because that person deserves one as much as you do. Though it is not easy to take or understand why your receiving such praises know that they thought well enough of you to say what you may seldom hear.

1 person likes this