6 posts in this topic

Posted

Transgender military veteran and activist Allyson Robinson has joined a new documentary project that hopes to raise awareness about the ban on open military service by trans Americans.

BY Sunnivie Brydum | August 22 2013 6:01 PM ET

"The first installment of the documentary series, teased in the video below, features Bryce Celotto, a military police officer who is transgender — and thus risking his military career by openly acknowledging his identity." --advocate.com

TransMilitary Documentary Seeks to End Trans Service Ban (w/Video)

2 people like this

Posted

I'm glad to see this issue getting attention. It is outrageous that transgender people are discriminated against by our military. Once again, we are reminded that we are on the margins of society.

If not for their discriminatory policies, I would have been career military and I would have been good at it. I actually turned down a nomination to the Air Force Academy for that reason. I just could never bring myself to commit to military service with the gender battle raging inside of me.

I guess one's life can take a number of different paths and work out. I did ok and I'm happy at this point in my life but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I had been allowed to serve in the military without facing an involuntary discharge if they found out.

3 people like this

Posted

I too wanted to go into the military - follow in my Dad's footsteps. But at the time, being so young, my biggest concern was being viewed as gay, as that was how many female-bodied people in the Army were viewed. Strange isn't it...in light of the fact that the military didn't want gays among its ranks. I knew I wasn't gay, though, and I didn't want to be considered so. The thought that I could be labelled as such was enough to keep me out.

Ironic that many would rather we were gay when we finally tell them of our trueselves...but gay was the last thing I wanted to be even though somehow I knew being [trans] would not have gone over well at all.

2 people like this

Posted

this was one off my biggest fears while i served and it was a painful issue to have keep locked away and hidden, somehow it all worked out ,, even though i wanted to free and out to everyone , i do wish that more decide to move fwd and embrace who they really are and get the support they need

2 people like this

Posted

I didn't know it until much later in my 20 years of service that some of my original shipmates were gay men. And Lesbian women. I am sure there was everything else in between. I don't know. There were the institutionalized "witch" hunt cases now and then, and wrongful prosecution. The US NAVY owes a big apology letter to a LOT of squared away Sailors. Get on that Ash Carter, you bum! :)  Show some CITIZENS of this country some respect for a change. That's the way the Constitution works Sir. CITIZENS have a right to step up and give they're best. Many do, and give much more. Constitution, Citizen, Respect. I am glad for just about every Sailor I served with. Good folks. And the NATO and SEATO crews, SOLID! But hey, for some of us, the Cold War was a serious as a heart attack, 24/7/365! All I know was living a Tom Clancy novel for 20 years was a rockin' good time. And it was all about the people. Elmo Zumwalt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmo_Zumwalt) was the CNO. Jimmy Carter was just taking control of the White House when I showed up for advanced training.  One year later I'm on D.G., and the Iranians have our hostages AND the Russians invade A-Stan. Rockin' good time. I learned me some stuff ! Like right now, History? You can stop repeating yourself. I get evolutionary radiation already. Can you please show use something new? A little less CRANKY please? Think The Renaissance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance) .  Thanks History, that would just be off the hook if ya could! :) 

Posted

​The ban is totally ridiculous. Many qualified transwomen and transmen are being disqualified because of who they are. The military still has to have quotas to keep it strong. Unfortunately, in some cases, they are filling their ranks with convicted felons.

1 person likes this