Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Police: Death of transgender woman a possible hate crime

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Police: Death of transgender woman a possible hate crime

New York (CNN) -- The death of a transgender woman brutally beaten in New York is being investigated as a hate crime, authorities said. Islan Nettles, 21, was attacked in the early morning hours on August 17. She died Thursday as a result of "blunt impact head injuries" ...

Islan's mother reported "They were called faggots, they were called he-shes, she-males, things of that nature" and then at the end of the article we learn the suspect is already out on bail. I wonder what the bail is for killing a transgender person vs killing a "normal" person, whatever that is. ~
Lori

Follow up:
In further research I learned the suspect was originally charged with misdemeanor assault, while the victim was "clinging" to life for some time after the attack. Police are expected to upgrade the charges.

Edited by Lori
Follow Up Info
3 people like this

Posted

This incident happened about a mile from my home.

:(

2 people like this

Posted

It is just so sad, so senseless. My heart goes out to all affected by this crime.

I know you have spoken of violence in New York Gennee. This incident makes me want to ask you to be cautious. By the published account, Islan and her friends were doing nothing wrong. It was just because she was transgender. It seems ironic that this kind of violence occurs with such frequency in NYC -- a place known for its diversity.

2 people like this

Posted

It's picked up in the past couple of years. With the increased visibility and more transgender people standing up for themselves, I'm not at all surprised by the backlash. I've had no problems where I live, thus far. I will be careful.

2 people like this

Posted

Case Becomes Increasingly Complicated

Posted: 09/16/2013 10:18 am EDT | By Murray Weiss, DNA Info

"The grief-stricken mother previously told DNAInfo New York that her daughter was “a handsome man and a beautiful woman.” --huffingtonpost.com

1 person likes this

Posted

"Follow up: In further research I learned the suspect was originally charged with misdemeanor assault, while the victim was "clinging" to life for some time after the attack. Police are expected to upgrade the charges." --Lori

According to the following article, apparently charges were never upgraded, and the case has not worked out as "an investigative source" was confident of, according to "On The Inside," in the HuffPost article Case Becomes Increasingly Complicated.

A year ago, Islan Nettles was killed in New York City

1 person likes this

Posted

Lori, Geneen and Michael, was deeply moved by this story, as I lived in the Projects in Sheepshead Bay Houses, in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. It was very heartbreaking, as my neighborhood once was a very good neighborhood in the 1960's. Starting in 2008 (I had lived there from 2002 to 2012) things started going downhill. I believe it was related to the Great Recession. Then in 2010, it stepped down once again when a high school in a bad neighborhood closed and the students were sent to Sheepshead Bay High School. Two years later, Sheepshead Bay High School was closed. Sadly, after Superstorm Sandy, it stepped down again. Although I knew of no LGBTQ injuries/deaths in my neighborhood, noticed the few of us there were closeted. Have noticed a spike in crime in ALL boroughs of NYC since Mayor Bloomberg left. Feel there was unjust anger taken out against President Obama because he was a man of color. The neighborhood "went" when we lost our sense of community. Everybody, no matter what race, color, nationality or ethnic group looked out for one another. This was a mostly African American neighborhood that abutted up against a mostly Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. Had close friends of all races, colors, nationalities and ethnic groups. BUILDING COMMUNITY is the only answer to preventing such tragedies, and whether one approves of LGBTQs, they are HUMAN BEINGS, and public safety is EVERYBODY'S BUSINESS. Always kept an eye out for my safety, and everyone else's safety, too. When I see bystanders who do not get involved, or, worse yet, take video, but do not get involved, SHAME ON THEM!

1 person likes this

Posted

Monica, I didn't know Sheepsheads Bay High closed down. I went to Madiso High and they were one of our rivals. With economy the way it is people are going to do whatever they can to have something. It's a shame but this is nothing new. It happened during the Great Depression and all other downnturns from what I 've read. Some folks need to be reminded that economy tanked when George Bush was president.

1 person likes this

Posted

When I hear about stories such as this one it just strengthens my resolve to want to teach empty hand defensive skills and avoidance to those in the LGBT segment of the population. Will teaching these skills guarantee one's safety and well being ? No but with them one will be safer.

One of the key elements that many overlook is disparity of force which can make a difference with if one survives a deadly assault.

Excerpt from the above link

A male violently attacking a female is generally seen as a disparity of force, as the male is generally much larger and stronger, and it’s understood that men in our society are more adapted toward aggressive physical contact than women

The example above does not consider alternate genders but it's worth thinking about how this might apply to others rather than simply being a victim.

I am highly trained and teach self defense but that does not make me immune from an angry crowd bent on causing me serious injury which is why I am highly aware of where I am, where I am going, are there risk? Many of us walk thru life not thinking about dyer consequences and rightfully so but we live in a world where that can get you six feet under sad to say.

Any ways one of the things I do for the community is provide training at a greatly reduced cost and once had a group fly me to Florida to train them for three days where I did not accept payment for the class. The deal was to pay for my expenses which included staying at one of the students homes. I have done this close to home also. Why mention this? Perhaps others reading this will (and this might be far out there) take the initiative to do the same to some extent.

4 people like this

Posted

Gennee, Judge Judy went to Madison High School. She just wrote a new book for girls and women, that she is giving out for free. Have read her books for girls and women and have found them very informative. Karen, looked at the link and found it very informative. Highly recommend everyone, but especially women, to read, "The Gift of Fear," and other related books by the author, whose name I can't recall right now. Also highly recommend the "5 Star Responder," which is a one button device that if you hold the button for less than five seconds, gets you in touch with a highly trained operator, and if you hold the button more than five seconds, takes you directly to 911. It has a GPS locator built in so the authorities no exactly where you are. My motto is to be aware of my surroundings at all times, and if I sense danger, to get safe and then seek help. Information for the 5 Star Responder can be had at www.GreatCall.com.

Posted

Suspect Indicted

Mitch Kellaway | March 04 2015 4:23 PM ET

"On the evening of the attack, Nettles was out walking with two other trans women, and the group was attacked by at least seven men who allegedly became enraged when they learned that the women were transgender, notes the district attorney's statement. Dixon has pleaded not guilty and is currently being held without bail." --advocate.com

Suspect Indicted in Beating Death of N.Y. Trans Woman Islan Nettles

3 people like this

Posted

That is very sad that seven men felt the need to beat her to death.

1 person likes this

Posted

Not sure of what New York Gennee is? I almost booked a week in NY with my wife, glad to be going to Holland instead.............

2 people like this

Posted

Holland is beautiful! And so is Amsterdam, which I assume you'll visit. So much to see and such a wonderful city to walk around.

New York is both a state (rather large, the Niagara Falls are in the northernmost region) and it contains a city called, you guessed it: New York City. All are beautiful and wonderful in their own ways. Some day you'll want to visit NYC (at least) as it has fantastic museums and much, much more. Like all urban areas it has its own problems, of course. As does Amsterdam!

Have a nice trip,

Emma

2 people like this