6 posts in this topic

Posted

The Huffington Post | By James Nichols Posted: 08/27/2013 4:20 pm EDT | Updated: 08/27/2013 4:20 pm EDT

"These incidents of transgender violence barely begin to scratch the surface of not only physical violence against trans people, but the emotional and verbal abuse trans individuals, particularly trans women of color, experience on a daily basis. Vigils for slain transgender women and men have to be organized on an alarmingly regular basis, both locally and abroad." --huffingtonpost.com

Transgender Murders 50 Percent Higher Than Gays, Lesbians In July

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm glad to see this getting some attention in the mainstream media. The numbers are staggering when you consider the relative sizes of our communities.

"So when gays and lesbians outnumber transgender people about six to one, yet transgender people are being murdered at a rate that’s about 50 percent more than the murder rate for gays and lesbians, well, it’s beyond comprehension."

2 people like this

Posted

Anyone have any "INTELLENGENT " insight as to why this factors in ?????????

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm not sure if the haters just hate us more than they hate homosexuals, or if the crimes against the two groups are random and completely indiscriminate, and because the transcommunity is so small, the impact is greater.

What ever the case is though, it seems that as more and more rights and protections are put in place for transpeople and as more states drop their bans on same-sex marriage, the more desperate the bigots get with their anti-TGLB rhetoric, and more violent the 'phobes get.

1 person likes this

Posted

In South America, there's the machisimo factor. Men showing any kind of femininity is frowned upon. When I read the list of transgender women murdered in Latin America, 75% of them are in Brazil. I also believe that because we present our identity, transgender people can be easy marks for bigots. I personally have to deal with racism along with being transgender. Increased visibility is a factor in many of the attacks. I predicted this in 2012. There are similarities with the civil rigts moveent in the 1960s. When you go against te norm the power will do anything and everything to keep transgender people out of sight and invisible.

3 people like this

Posted

Brazil has some of the most gorgeous MtF transsexuals and many of them are in the sex trade business. I am wondering if this is also a factor. I would like to compare the numbers of female sex trade workers killed with the number of transsexual sex trade workers killed. I am sure they are both high. Legalizing the sex trade I am sure would bring those numbers way down for both.

Bonnie

1 person likes this