5 posts in this topic

Posted

GLAAD calls on the Star-Ledger to use proper pronouns in reporting the murder of Eyricka Morgan

29 September 2013 | By James Withers

"'The reporter refused to change the story without confirmation of Eyricka's transgender identity from someone who knew her. GLAAD provided this information, but the newspaper has not corrected its coverage. Editors at the paper have not yet replied to repeated outreach by GLAAD.'" --gaystarnews.com

Newspaper under fire for not using the name of transgender crime victim

Seems to me this is nothing more than a display of ignorance, arrogance, and perhaps a bit of bigotry on the part of the reporter. Why does she feel she needs to have Ms. Morgan's gender identity confirmed by someone who personally knew her? Does she think GLAAD jumps up and decides to name someone trans just for kicks?

Posted

Michael, YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

UPDATE --

The Star-Ledger has published a new story, using Eyricka Morgan's name and using the appropriate pronouns, but has not corrected previous articles in which the reporter disrespected the victim by using her birth name and male pronouns. Personally, the article reads to me like the reporter referred to Ms. Morgan as a woman only as she figured was absolutely necessary, and still found it necessary to throw the victim's birth name into the article, but apparently throwing all the blame for her poor reporting on authorities.

Apparently, the reporter and editor continue to stand their ground on the reasons for having [unknowingly] misgendered Ms. Morgan. If they truly were misinformed as to Ms. Morgan's identity, seems to me they could have apologized, and if they were still going to include the victim's birth name in the new article (or felt they had to), the least they could have done was word it something like, "we unfortunately (or mistakenly) named the victim as _______________ , and apologize for any heartache this error caused..."

Posted

I dunno bout you Michael, it's still B S from a source that SHOULD KNOW better.................

Posted

No, one in the media could care less about reality, reality doesn't sell papers now does it because we all have to deal with reality every moment of the day why would anyone want to pay for the chance to read Real information on Real events about Real People and who they Really are, no one could give two bits about that now if I want to sell papers or push some sort of agenda then twist the words sensationalize the information and make it appear to be no more real then the man in the moon. then people will buy your fotter the use of Her Birth name Had Nothing to do with the Reality of the story, Her Gender played Little in the article other then stirring the pot about the blurred line today about who and what Gender anyone is or was, does it matter if I am killed whether or not I was born with a Penis, No the fact is I was killed, why only I and the assailant knows that for certain, but the fact of Real life is I would have been Killed by some one, my birth name only matters if I have not had it changed once that is done you have No option to call me by any other name then My new Court Ordered Name, period. Sew them and see how fast that apology shows up. write letters all day long and they will toss them in file 13 along with any other truth that comes across their desks.