Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transgender Student Viciously Attacked

9 posts in this topic

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

Note the distinction everyone made between the "female students" and the "transgender student." Never once did they refer to the [trans]girl as female, or use female pronouns, except for the comment made by the assistant principal where it's just sort of hinted at the girl's gender, "the transgender student walked over to the other girl...."

Maybe I'm being too sensative, but it seems to me the reporting all the way around couldn't have been any worse if they had called the girl "it."

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes, it is like being victimized all over again. This has the potential to do even more psychological damage than the physical assault. Perhaps there needs to be sensitivity training for school administrators and the media.

1 person likes this

Posted

i know our community doesnt condone violence, but maybe we need to start carrying tasers and the first prick that attacks us for being ourselves, we taser the holy crap out of their body.

Posted

"i know our community doesnt condone violence"

I know it is tough to decide but sometimes, violence and self defense are two different things.

Of course physical violence to anyone for any reason should always be the absolute last resort.

But unfortunately, there may be times when that decision has to be made. I hope I never have to, I would probably just cower down or something...I hate that sort of stuff.

Such a shame, and the way the media just demeaned her. I have never understood how or why the general public can be so insensitive. But when you see the media, who typically trips over themselves in their efforts to be politically correct on so many other issues responding like they do in this story, it is easy to see where the insensitivity is spawned.

Such a shame.

Posted

UPDATE --

Students Suspended for Attack Involving Trans Teen

All four 16-year-old girls who engaged in a physical altercation last week involving a transgender student have been suspended from their Bay Area high school.

Sunnivie Brydum | November 21 2013 5:44 PM ET

"Despite initial reports that police and school district officials might investigate the incident as a hate crime — the transgender student had reportedly complained to administrators about the bullying she was suffering just days before the attack — the Bay Area Reporter notes that officials are no longer pursuing that avenue, since all four 16-year-olds were actively involved in the fight." --advocate.com

1 person likes this

Posted

We are battered from many angles. The media does not alway do their homework. They don't know much about transgender people. Remember most media are owned by multinational corporations and many of them are behind the anti-trans backlash.

As far as school administrators go, next to politicians, they are the biggest sellouts out there. They want students to be good little minions. When crises happen, I find that they don't know how to handle the stuation.

1 person likes this

Posted

Trans Teen Charged With Battery Following Schoolyard Altercation

Jewelyes Gutierrez, a 16-year-old transgender student, has been charged with misdemeanor battery following a lunchtime fight at her high school.

Parker Marie Molloy | January 09 2014 5:39 PM ET

"West Contra Costa School Board President Charles Ramsey, who previously said he believes Gutierrez was the victim in the incident, disagrees with the district attorney's charges against Gutierrez. Instead, Ramsey says the incident should have been a "teachable moment," not "something that should rise the level of where it has to go to the district attorney's office for prosecution."" --advocate.com

Posted

UPDATE ---

Calif. Trans Student Facing Battery Charges Enters Restorative Justice Program

A 16-year-old transgender girl facing battery charges may avoid jail time after agreeing to enter a restorative justice program.

Parker Marie Molloy | February 07 2014 12:16 PM ET

"On Thursday, Jewlyes Gutierrez, a transgender student from Hercules, Calif., received some good news. Gutierrez, who has been charged with battery following a schoolyard altercation, has entered into an agreement with Judge Thomas M. Maddock..." --advocate.com

While I'm glad that Jewlyes won't be going to jail, I'm not happy that she is still (for all intents and purposes) being considered guilty...and it still appears that she is the only one who is "paying" for the scrap in the school yard. I could much better accept this if ALL of the girls were being sent to this restorative program. -Mike