Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

For Those Who Could/Can Not Attend TDOR

4 posts in this topic

Posted

CautionIcon.gif May not be suitable for all readers, and may also trigger strong emotional response

Transgender Day of Remembrance: Those We've Lost in 2013

A look back at a few of the transgender men and women who have been slain this year.

BY Advocate.com Editors | November 20 2013 6:10 AM ET

"Transgender Day of Rememberance was established in 1999 to memorialize Rita Hester, a trans woman who was brutally murdered the year before. Her murder remains unsolved, as do many of the crimes committed against transgender and gender-nonconforming people. This year, sadly, is no different, as the official website reports that hundreds of transgender people were slain in the world this year, and more than a dozen in the United States. Here is some information about those who were lost in the U.S." --advocate.com

1 person likes this

Posted

OMG, that was hard to look at. It is striking to me that all of these men and women (murdered in the US) appear to be ethnic minorities, or mixed race. The victims of hate crimes (against transgender people) are often minorities. And the victims are often disrespected by media and police reports that refer to them using incorrect gender pronouns and names. All too often the picture painted tends to point some blame at the victim for being transgendered.

I know we are moving forward with the transgender cause, but some days it is hard to accept that as fact.

1 person likes this

Posted

Lori, I was in the wrecker business too many years . Too many times , I got there before E M T help was able to help and I had to assist police getting attention to a wounded motorist . I saw suicides , and shoot outs first hand . I'm still touched HARD when someone reads a name or shares a story of someone who lost their life . Life is precious , I don't care whose it is ! I shed a tear to those last Wednesday as stories were read . Believe me , it's never easy reading , sharing or being a part of a memorial service , Isn't supposed to be .

3 people like this

Posted

I attend TDOR every year not because I have to because I need to. One of the people killed was in the article. Islan Nettles was killed about a mile from where I live. She was just 21 years old. What hurts is that many of the transgender people killed are young. The youngest was thirteen! The vast majority of trans people killed are people of color. The US ranks third in the number of murders, behind only Brazil and Mexico.

While progress is being made, it doesn't get any easier hearing all my brothers and sisters being murdered because of who they are.

2 people like this