Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trans Billionaire Reporting for Duty

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Michelle Garcia | November 12 2013 4:06 AM ET

"“Militaries around the world are updating their policies, and we are already conducting research in Canada, Britain, and Australia to learn whether their trans-inclusive regulations have impacted readiness,” said Indra Lusero, the project’s director at the Center." --advocate.com

Trans Billionaire Reporting for Duty

3 people like this

Posted

We will be watching this closely. Jennifer Pritzker's involvement could be a game-changer. Let's hope so.

Posted

Study Urges U.S. Military to Reconsider Ban on Transgender Personnel

A study funded by transgender billionaire and military veteran Jennifer Pritzker breaks down the arguments disqualifying trans people from military service.

Parker Marie Molloy | March 13 2014 11:51 AM ET

"The fact is, transgender individuals already serve in the military, albeit closeted and often without necessary medical care. The University of California Los Angeles's Williams Institute estimates that nearly 15,500 transgender individuals are currently serving in the military." --advocate.com

Posted

RELATED --

Former US Surgeon General and new report slams military's ban on transgender members

13 MARCH 2014 | GREG HERNANDEZ

"Retired Brigadier General Thomas Kolditz, a former Army commander and West Point professor on the commission, tells the Associated Press: 'When you closet someone, you create a security risk, and we don't need another Chelsea Manning.'" -gaystarnews.com

Posted

I enjoyed serving in the U.S. military. The only reason I left was because I was transgender. So, yes, I have some opinions.

First, is why weren't trans people included in the lift on homosexuals? Now that the gay community got what they wanted they've dropped the subject. I'm not trying to cause friction between communities but this isn't the first time they have left us out.

Second, you don't give away government secrets you have been trusted with. Chelsea Manning is in jail and deserves to be there. If the situation ever comes up were you either out yourself or give away secrets one should ALWAYS out oneself. There should never be any doubt about this. If there is then don't handle sensitive information.

Last and most important, why is there as study in the first place? I'm sorry if that sounds I little stupid on my part but there are a lot of trans people who are serving or have served this country with honor. I don't need a study to tell me that. Other trans veterans probably don't need a study to tell them that either.

The military has a lot of good people running it. They can be innovative and forward thinking when it comes to technology and strategy. They can be, however, quiet the reactionaries on social issues. They will still follow orders. A strong leader will have the military integrate trans people into the services. Sadly, a strong leader has not stepped up to this.

3 people like this

Posted

In a HuffPo article this week, a military commission presented the results of their study of the purported reasons the military has proffered for their policies, mostly "medical" related. Cited were different needs, greater expense, less available treatments, etc. The study found none of these to be credible. As I recall, the San Francisco government offered the same excuses for excluding T from health care coverage until their research found the extra costs came to less than $20 per person.

1 person likes this