clothing/shopping experiences

16 posts in this topic

Posted

How did you find clothes how was your shopping experience (clothing, stylist, etc.)

3 people like this

Posted

Think I goofed a bit oh well. Anyways I bought some panties used the size chart on the back of one package as a rough guide then bought one panty in that size (it was on sale) it was a bit too small so bought one in next size up they fit so bought a whole pack with 2 free and some other singles :-)

Also just today bought some jeans at Walmart the ladies who open the fitting room were quite nice and discovered my size for Lee jeans is 14 medium. Also like how they look on me. Was slightly apprehensive at first but after first try on was hey this isn't as scary as I thought. Now just need to figure out blouse size.

3 people like this

Posted

Terry, I buy ALL of my outerwear at Thrift stores and yard sales . It's the fact that I survive on Government disability . I hate it , I'd rather provide for myself .

Now to you're blouse dilemma . Uh generally speaking you need to go larger than a skirt as men to women are wider in the shoulder . depending upon you're skirt, uh go two sizes larger on a top . For instance , if you wear a 14, you need probably a large , maybe an ex large . I know , that's vague . Welcome to T G guide !

4 people like this

Posted

I bought some shirts the other day even tried one on to be sure I had the right size. Fits good except the sleeves are slightly short on the one. I can see the allure of shopping even if nothing is purchased. Rather fun to try things on and see how they look. Could also have something to do with seeing more of the person I always felt I should be coming out and beginning to enjoy life.

4 people like this

Posted

Shopping will be a never ending journey. One can never have too many clothes. The problem comes when you start running out of room to put them. Your male clothes will be consigned to smaller spaces.

Bonnie

4 people like this

Posted

who needs mens clothes anyway. I can get much cuter outfits in the ladies wear department

4 people like this

Posted

Totally agree! :D

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

I generally will shop locally for anything except pants, jeans or leggings because in my area the stores sell them with 29 or 30 inch inseam and my need is 32 inch inseam.

I still remember the first time entering a major department store to shop for clothing and was very nervous but had no issues with any of the sales people. Over the years I gain much more confidence but did little shopping because I was wrestling with my identity as most do in our shoes.

Fast forward to the present, I have filled up a huge closet with clothes from local stores along with many purchases at Victoria Secrets for jeans and leggings. For shoes it depends on what I want as local stores many times don't have what I crave so Amazon is my friend here.

I've never had a bad experience and feel fortunate as I have heard some bad stories over the years.

3 people like this

Posted

I've purchased much of my clothing from thrift shops. My church has a thrift sale the first weekend of each month. My experiences have been positive and helpful. I have to buy blouses in size 18 because I have broad shoulders. Shoes are another matter. I wear a size 13 wide but fortunately I've found some great shoes at Payless and Avenue. I'm willing to pay more for shoes because I take care of them.

:)

2 people like this

Posted

I found that when it comes to panties get a cheep pair to try first to get an idea of what style feels comfortable to wear. I like the hi-cut or french cut panties though i do have some boyshorts and a couple other styles. I recently bought some brushed cotton hi-cuts made by Fruit of the Loom that are so comfortable that I think I just found my new everyday panty.

2 people like this

Posted

I remember I started to shop for women's cloths back in the early 90's.

The first hurdle was that there was so much much to learn. Shopping as a guy is easy. The type of cloths you own now will probably still be in the stores. Men's clothing fashion moves at glacial speed. The style you wear one year will probably work the next year and the next and the next. Men's sizes tend to be simple, small or large or by inches measured. I know there are a couple of exceptions but for the most part men have their clothing down to a functional science.

Women's clothing is so different. The styles change all the time. If you see something you like you'd better pick it up. Designers are always trying new cuts, designs, and color prints out. For me it is always is kind of feast or famine for fashion. Either a bunch of new cloths I want or I'm spending hours shopping and might only end up with a knit top. And don't get me started on sizes. I find them to be a little arbitrary. I have an idea what size I am but I'm not going to know for certain until I actually put the garment on. For us trans girls who are stuck with a male skeletal structure it gets even more complex. For jackets I need a 20 or 22, shirts and tops a 16 or extra large, skirts or leggings a 14 or medium. I'll leave out shoes and undergarments to keep my sanity in check.

Shopping as a male in the women's section was always awkward for me. I always felt out of place. It made the experience a semi traumatic event. It made it worse when I had to search the garment for a size or sometimes just to figure out what it was. Is it a shirt? A dress? A skort (glad those are gone)? A scarf? I overheard one women comment to her friend under her breath "Look at that weirdo fondling the clothing".

When I finally got around buying clothes as women it was like night and day for me. It was finally like I actually belonged there.

4 people like this

Posted

On Friday my wife and shopped at a thrift sale at our church. We purchased a skirt two purses and three sweaters for only 8 dollars. Later she purchased four more skirts for 10 dollars. At Goodwill, I purchased a skirt, dress, and blouse for 22 dollars. My spouse purchased a lilac maxi skirt for 4 dollars. All these articles for under 50 dollars! We share a lot of clothing so it's a lot easier on the wallet.

:D

3 people like this

Posted

I found that fruit of the loom makes these brushed cotton panties that are nice, soft, and comfortable (I got the Hi-cut of course). Also got some boyshorts which are a bit cheeky. Thought they'd be uncomfortable but they actually feel nice to wear and feel a bit sexy wearing them.

2 people like this

Posted

for me I ware a size 10 to 12 in jeans depending on cut and style, like 10 medium in regular and 12 in skinny's and I love candy jeans like pink purple ect, as far as skirts go I ware also 10 or 12 same reasons except also depends on stretch for panty's I ware an 8, I find I usually ware panty's in a smaller size than my jeans, also for blouses n tops I ware medium to large, again depending on cut style ect, dresses I ware 12 to 14 because I am adding top and bottom in one size thus I like a looser feel and use a waist stretch belt as an accent usually one that matches my shoes and purse, sooo just as a reference I was 5 ft 8 3/4 and was 203 lbs but now i'm around 5 ft 8 even and about 165, and a 38 b to small c, but recently went into a 36 bra also depending on cut, it takes about 5 yrs to fully develop breasts so I am waiting till I reach my natural development before deciding on top surgery as getting it to soon can impede or even stop future growth, a c average is perfect if I reach that no surgery...:)................. any way hope this was helpful ....as ever Summer

2 people like this

Posted

Repeated Item from my Blog.

Wow! Today. I was at Dicks Sporting Goods looking for some tennis panties and a superman shirt. I started looking first for the Under Armor, pink for best cancer superman shirts and a male sales representative said "Mam can I help you." Because I was really trying to look male today, I corrected him. Then he told me he saw my "long blond hair," under my ball cap and thought I was a girl. I explained to him that I was retired and felt free to wear my hair long. He then helped me find the right size. Ended up being a boys XL. Then I went over to the women's section looking for a short that would work well under my NIKE tennis dress. Looking at the clearance rack I also found a couple of unisex looking sport T's. I was just a bit concerned that I was now being read as a male. But the store was quite large and I had really only talked with a couple of the dozen or so sales reps that were there. As I was shopping the female store manager who was doing some restocking, asked me if I needed help. I said no, but after I had made my selections I asked her if she could help me into a dressing room. (Apparently my male voice did not turn the tide as she read me as female) Without batting an eye she took me directly to the woman's dressing room. This time I did not correct her and I went right in. This is when I had a really pleasant surprise. The room was full of women's sportswear right there for me to try on. (Capris and winter outerwear.) Whoever was in the room before me must have been close to my size as almost everything fit. I actually bought two of these outfits and I may post photos of me wearing them. I am sure after I left they sales staff may be having a chuckle as I expect they will trade notes and figure out I was a guy. Still this was a truly interesting adventure for me today. Dawn :)

2 people like this

Posted

I have posted a portion of the photos of the outfits I found in the dressing room in our Galley. These were the items that had been in the dressing room before I went in. If you look, tell me if you think I made good decision? I was jazzed. Dawn :)