Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Article Chimes In ON Putting the T First

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Op-ed: LA PRIDE Makes a Transgender First

The organizers of Los Angeles's annual pride parade are literally putting the needs of transgender Angelenos first.

Many of you might remember when our community's acronym was GLBT. Then it was somehow decided that the L should lead, and LGBT became the default abbreviation. When exactly was that decision made? Was there a committee? Did anyone ever chime in and fight to lead with the T?

Decades after trans* women of color led the Stonewall riots, the general public still has to learn a lot about our issues. Yes, language and pronouns are a good foundation. And we need to talk about why we are targeted at higher rates for hate crimes and other violence, not to mention our higher rates of homelessness, unemployment, and access to proper health care, among other disparities. But the idea to focus on trans issues isn't solely directed at educating the straight community. We need to start enlightening the lesbian, gay, and bisexual community too.-Advocate.com

After reading this article, it chimes in on why I put the T first.

:)

1 person likes this

Posted

Genee, first allow me to apologize for not being here on a regular basis lately. The on line driver blew out on my computer and I couldn't do much more than observe on borrowed equipment .

O K , as some here are aware ,I now have two gender groups on Faceless Book . I have been asking the very same thing constantly . Of course , I can only offer my own opinions . Too many Gay people think we regender ourselves because of sexual gratification . UH UH , I' have had a "Delightful " conversation with a lady I hadn't heard from since 1969. She was aware of my interview with Christine Jorgensen ten too. Then again today, I had a phone conversation with a family member who has finally seen the "Light " so to speak . Yes, we Transgender people MUST Remain vigilant and continue to educate the public as to who we are ...............

1 person likes this

Posted

To fully reflect myself, I will use TLBGQ. This way I am "saying" I identify first as a MtF transsexual, second as lesbian, and partially a bisexual. I include gays and queer/questioning in the full community, though not everyone includes us. It is what it is, I guess.