Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why Is a Trans Teen Being Sent to Prison If She Hasn't Been Convicted of a Crime?

15 posts in this topic

Posted

http://news.yahoo.com/why-trans-teen-being-sent-prison-she-hasnt-211624041.html

2 people like this

Posted

I sure hate to think that it is because she is trans. But surely there's more to the story. Considering she is perhaps considered a minor, there may be much more that is kept confidential. If that's the case, media having and reporting only part of the story makes it sound pretty bad.

2 people like this

Posted

UPDATE ---

Detained Trans Girl Speaks Out, Details Abusive Past

Parker Marie Molloy | April 17 2014 9:26 AM ET

"According to a sworn affidavit, Jane Doe, whose name has been witheld because she is a minor, has spent the past eight days locked in a prison cell for upwards of 22 hours a day. Doe had been in the care of the Connecticut Department of Children and Families for the past 11 years after being born into an abusive home, and was placed in an adult facility after the agency claimed that they could not care for her any longer." --advocate.com

2 people like this

Posted

The agency probably wants her out of their care before it is discovered they are part of the problem and not the solution. It would be difficult to prove her claims without a witness but she obviously fears for her well being. I like that she has agreed to accept help as long as it is from a source that really wants to help her. As always gender is determined by what is 'below the belt' and not 'between the ears'.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

UPDATE --

Parker Marie Molloy | June 05 2014 3:55 PM ET

"Earlier today, jailed 16-year-old transgender girl Jane Doe received news that she will soon be moved from York Correctional Institute for Women in Niantic, Conn., to a private treatment facility for youths located in Massachusetts." --advocate.com

Jailed Conn. Trans Teen to Be Released

2 people like this

Posted

UPDATE --

Parker Marie Molloy | July 14 2014 1:20 PM ET

"Last month, Connecticut Department of Children and Families Commissioner Joette Katz told the AP that Jane Doe — the 16-year-old who has not been charged with a crime but was 58 days into an indefinite stay at York Correctional Facility — was being removed from the adult correctional facility..." --advocate.com

Conn. Trans Girl, 16, Placed in School for Delinquent Boys

2 people like this

Posted

UPDATE --

Parker Marie Molloy | July 14 2014 1:20 PM ET

"Last month, Connecticut Department of Children and Families Commissioner Joette Katz told the AP that Jane Doe — the 16-year-old who has not been charged with a crime but was 58 days into an indefinite stay at York Correctional Facility — was being removed from the adult correctional facility..." --advocate.com

Conn. Trans Girl, 16, Placed in School for Delinquent Boys

When I read this, I said to myself this is crazy! She hasn't been charged with anything and yet she's being subjected to all this. Tells you a lot about some of our social institutions.

3 people like this

Posted

Mitch Kellaway | September 17 2014 1:07 PM ET

""Many wonder why Jane would attempt to escape today, on her way to a therapy session," the Justice for Jane campaign wrote on Facebook Tuesday. "Let's look at her history with DCF: From a very young age, Jane was placed by DCF in extremely traumatizing conditions [in foster care], where she was subject to rape, assault, trafficking, and drug exposure." --advocate.com

Teen Found After Escaping from Program

2 people like this

Posted

Doesn't sound very therapeutic to me . . .

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

UPDATE --

Lawsuit: Detained transgender teen treated as boy

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A 16-year-old transgender girl being held at a boys' detention center alleged that staff members are repeatedly referring to her by her male birth name and male pronouns, forcing her to wear boys' uniforms and banning her from wearing her wig and makeup.

http://news.yahoo.co...-162611739.html

Edited by UsernameOptional
2 people like this

Posted

Being in a 'boys' detention centre I can understand the banning and the boy's uniform. She shouldn't be there in the first place but since she is would it not be safer for her by not standing out so much as trans? Not really sure if the ban really makes any difference though since I am sure she will be abused no matter what she looks like and dresses in. Her mannerisms will give her away very quickly anyway.

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

As a foster parent, I can tell you that sometimes, not always, but sometimes the correctional facilities that are built for children are made institutionalized with the demands for adult action, reaction and interaction guidelines because razor wire is not a child's toy. It is meant to protect the people on the outside of the wire.

The 'boys home' baby jail in Emmett Idaho.. aptly named 'The Patriot Center" had never had a trans girl in their care. They did what they could, but the child in question was in the home for reasons I won't disclose and she was the first trans teen they had. A lot of these places coded for 'male' or 'female' are not qualified to handle the emotional or psychological issues of trans teens.. Since her stay, they have made numerous changes in policy to handle incoming transgender MtF, including, shower segregation- sleeping seregation and more one on one time with female staff members in appropriate manners. It is however, still a baby jail. NO place is perfect, and as a former child advocate with the Guardian Ad Litem program as well as being a current foster parent, AND former foster child, I can see all sides of this coin. Do not judge the facilities or the arrangements that need to be made post haste. Experience is the greatest teacher, even in the juvenile court system.

Nothing changes overnight. Instead of bashing these facilities, lend your ear, your eyes and your help, because if a bunch of straight people who have never ever been exposed to trans people are in charge, and they get NO HELP from us.. then they will continue to model the appropriate behaviours and actions BASED on their current level of knowledge.

2 people like this

Posted

America loves say how better they are then the rest of the world on equal rights…

As we can see we are one of the worst.

This one of the many issues facing the U.S.A.

Other then cops hunting down people of color and cops pulling guns out on kids enjoying an old fashion game of snow ball.

What was her crime again?

Being poor?

Seems like thats the only reason she's in jail.

Wait what am i saying? hehe

Silly me how was the Super Bowl?

1 person likes this

Posted

Do not judge the facilities or the arrangements that need to be made post haste. Experience is the greatest teacher, even in the juvenile court system.

Nothing changes overnight. Instead of bashing these facilities, lend your ear, your eyes and your help, because if a bunch of straight people who have never ever been exposed to trans people are in charge, and they get NO HELP from us.. then they will continue to model the appropriate behaviours and actions BASED on their current level of knowledge.

I would agree with this, but only to a point.

Gender identity has been a hot topic now for a few years. Children are braver about coming out. Fewer [young] people today feel they must "take this secret to the grave" like many of us older ones were convinced of, and some still are. Today's parents are more open and understanding that their children are not property and something to be "programmed," but are individuals with their own characters, their own identities as human beings. I am sure that many of these facilities have processed trans people into and through their systems in the past. Considering these factors, it seems to me that these places should be preparing... what should we do if a transgender or gender-non-conforming child comes into our facility? Hammering out these kinds of events would be no different than preparing for and creating policy for emergencies like fire, tornado, bomb threat, etc., or disruptions to normal activity like fights or riots, and any other event or activity that could potentially throw a monkey wrench into normal operation.

I believe that today, for any entity's powers-that-be to sit back on their haunches and claim innocent ignorance, is not acceptable. And in the case of Jane Doe, it seems to me that little attempt is being made to learn and adjust for the future.

2 people like this

Posted

most of this conversation...reminds me of being in foster care....why was i there The STATE said we were poor my dad made 16$ hr 60hr a week in 87 , not all my foster care homes were bad ,,, out of 7 from 87-93,  6 where really bad ,,, and i have seen lots of others mistreated do to gender identity and then the worst and still are my step parents through adaption  .. i may be ranting  so forgive me i can not stand to hear this about anyone having to deal with this and living in fear, sorry my blood is on fire .........

1 person likes this