DMV asks SC teen boy to remove makeup for driver's license photo

23 posts in this topic

Posted

ANDERSON, S.C. - "A transgender group is calling on the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles to allow a 'gender non-conforming,' teenager to retake his driver’s license picture..." read more

I don't know if the news station is trying to be insensitive but they missed the mark. I can only imagine the anguish this young lady is feeling following the discrimination at South Carolina DMV, and then the poorly worded news article. I wish her all the best in life. It will get better. ~ Lori

2 people like this

Posted

Check out the ignorant response from DMV and look at the before and after photos. Their lame explanation defies logic.

The SC DMV released a statement, saying it is against policy for anyone to “alter their identity to disguise themselves.” It said it “enforces it [the policy] with anyone who is in violation….”

culpepper-e1403047680845.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

So then.... I take it that women are not allowed to wear make-up when they go to get their licenses renewed in SC...? Surely she knew this before she went to the DMV. Nearly everyone complains about their license picture...but apparently women in SC really have a legitimate gripe!

All sarcasm aside, I wonder what they would have done if she had come in with her hair all fixed up in an obviously female style. Would she have been sent home to undo her hair? I'm surprised they didn't go so far as to make her remove her necklace and ear-rings.

But what can be expected? SC is one of those states that has no protections for any part of the TGBL community, so they are free to discriminate, humilate and hate.

Non-discrimination laws - map

1 person likes this

Posted

Once again , personal bigotry raises it's ugly head . I could have seen this a lot better in other Southern states personally. I honestly thought South Carolina was a lot more modern. I guess I'm wrong again !

1 person likes this

Posted

As a citizen of South Carolina, my "bleeding heart" and I find SC anything but "modern." At the moment, we have a Tea Party Governor who refuses the ACA expansions, a very conservative legislature and all kinds of beliefs that cannot be reconciled with facts. According to their constitution, children are entitled to the "minimum education" necessary, probably to the point that they can read a document and sign their names. To know about SC, just follow the news stories in Slate and HuffPo. Our previous Governor, Mark Sanford, left on a trip a few years ago and didn't even tell his security; it turned out he was visiting his _soulmate_ and her kids in Argentina. Now, he's a House Representative!! IMO, our senior Senator, Lindsay (?) Graham is a staunch Republican unless there's some pork for the state. Almost no elections include candidates from anything but the GOP and libertarions; guess which wins.

At least it's not TX.

1 person likes this

Posted

I was born in South Carolina. I have never had my birth certificate altered because their solution for surgically transitioned people is to staple an addendum to the original birth certificate assigning a new sex. It is a slap in the face and sounds worse to me than just not changing it at all. Fortunately, once I obtained a US passport, I have never needed to produce a birth certificate.

It isn't fair but your success in changing critical identification seems a matter of luck, depending on where you were born and where you live. Just one more way we are marginalized in our society.

1 person likes this

Posted

If South Carolina's stand is that their policy has nothing to do with gender (and from the sound of what was in the video, they are emphatic about this), then it seems to me that in fact, SC should not allow even biological females to wear make-up when they have to have a DMV photo made.

"At no time will an applicant be photographed when it appears that he or she is purposely altering his or her appearance so that the photo would misrepresent his or her identity."

At what point is a call made that someone is considered to be intentionally "altering his or her appearance?" Died hair? Chiselled goatee and meticulously trimmed eyebrows? Thick eyebrows plucked down to a pencil-thin line? False eyelashes? Toupee? Hair extensions? Tinted contacts?

I've known women who wore so much make-up, that if you happened to catch sight of them dashing out in the early morning to retrieve the newspaper when they think no one is looking, you'd wonder who the strange woman was at your neighbor's house. I've know men who's appearance was so drastically different simply because they went from long hair to short, and decided to go clean-faced, they could walk past you and you'd never know it.

I would think the possibilities are endless, and this vague and seemingly unenforcable policy is simply being used by bigotted workers to wield the policy as they see fit.

The bad part about it is, the state will stand behind those employees, if or no other reason than, because the policy allows it.

1 person likes this

Posted

This story was the second headline in Charleston's _Post_and_Courier today. They used the girl's picture as well. Transgender Legal and Education (something) is working on this case. I don't recall any interview with her or her parents but several statements from DMV employees. They cite the law, just as Michael has done, but some seem to be allied. The story points out there is no third option and that SC is lagging the rest of the nation on these issues. Law enforcement officials point out that they are "instructed" to treat apparent females as women whether they are wearing makeup or not as makeup is _expected_ of females and not expected of males.

Don't look for this to resolve in our favor anytime soon.

1 person likes this

Posted

"Law enforcement officials point out that they are "instructed" to treat apparent females as women whether they are wearing makeup or not as makeup is _expected_ of females and not expected of males."

This would indicate to me that the DVM's claim that this has nothing to do with gender... is horsecrap. I'm sure the "treat apparent females as women ~ " is an industry-wide rule.

1 person likes this

Posted

UPDATE

Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

https://news.yahoo.com/teen-sues-dmv-being-told-remove-makeup-164005963.html

2 people like this

Posted

Sadly, this isn't the first time I've seen reports of transgender individuals being harassed or discriminated against by DMV employees. What I'm wondering is when, exactly, did the Department of Motor Vehicles become the Department of Gender Enforcement? <_<

1 person likes this

Posted

If she lives, looks, and acts as a woman, she should be treated like a lady, including having a driver's license to reflect that. If she was forced to dress as a man, then that would be wearing a disguise!

Posted

This is a very courageous young lady. I hope they get it right and make an example out of someone -- other than the victim.

UPDATE

Teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

https://news.yahoo.c...-164005963.html

Posted

It would be cool if this lawsuit became one of those ground-breaking, precedent-setting, history changers that passes down a judgement that any person, regardless of sex or gender, has the right to wear whatever strikes his/her fancy, and that no longer will clothing, toiletries and accessories be labelled or segregated by sex, and that no person or entity has the right to impose any mode of dress based on a person's sex.

Just a Note --

I thought I remembered earlier in this story that Chase preferred male pronouns, but those of us who have used pronouns in our respective posts, have referred to Chase as female. I decided to see if Chase has changed mind-set about how to be addressed since we are supposed to pride ourselves on inclusivity of all identities, and respect each person for the way in which s/he identifies and prefers to be recognized as.

From an article on theblaze.com about the lawsuit, "Chase Culpepper, 16, was born into a male body, but he considers himself “gender non-conforming” and lives much of his life in women’s clothing and makeup (although he still reportedly prefers male pronouns)."

So apparently, as was the case when we first heard about this story, Chase prefers male pronouns. Ironically, it seems all corners of the media* have used the proper pronouns throughout this issue... though I can't help but believe it has more to do with bigotry and ignorance than it does with respect for Chase.

-Michael

*dailymail.uk.co claims that Chase does not identify with any gender-specific pronouns (yet the author of the article chose to use male pronouns). The article is dated the same as the one Charity linked, and theblaze.com article I quoted from. This dailymail.uk.co article is the only one I have seen indicate that Chase identifies by neither.

Posted

Bill O'Reilly at it again....

Rebecca Juro | September 11 2014 12:31 PM ET

"Guilfoyle agreed with O’Reilly, but Wiehl said she felt that Culpepper had a solid antidiscrimination case, explaining that he wasn’t disguised because women are permitted to wear similar makeup in their driver's license photos. Weihl suggested the incident was sex discrimination." --advocate.com

Bill O'Reilly on Boy in Makeup: 'He Has to Look Like a Man!'

2 people like this

Posted

Lori and Mike, I notice they use the male pronoun, but when I see a person look and act like a certain gender, I use the pronoun associated with that gender. Think this his/her mother uses the male pronoun in the hope that he/she will "outgrow" his/her transgender. Also think he/she is playing along to humor his/her mother. Have not yet met in person somebody that presents as female asking me to call her "him" and vice versa. Of course, I desire to respect a person's request.

Posted

"I notice they use the male pronoun, but when I see a person look and act like a certain gender, I use the pronoun associated with that gender."

I think we are all programmed to address a person by the sex/gender they appear to be...so sometimes it can take a little to forget what we've been taught. I'm don't know where the choice on pronouns truly comes from either - Chase or his mother. But according to one article, it is Chase's decision to be referred to with male pronouns. Until we learn differently, we might not have a choice but to respect what appears to be his decision. Though it's difficult even for me, 'cause by golly, Chase does make for a cute little girl, even being trans myself, I work hard at trying to understand the gender spectrum from one end to the other, and defy what I was brought up with and call her "her" even when she looks like him, and call him "him" even when he looks like her. So I was also guilty of referring to Chase with female pronouns.

It appears for now that Chase is apparently just a boy who likes make-up and pretty things. There have been times in history, in certain cultures, where men wore what we call make-up. It's only taboo now, in this society, because this society has decided that make-up is a woman thing.

Have not yet met in person somebody that presents as female asking me to call her "him" and vice versa. Of course, I desire to respect a person's request."

That's the best policy. And I'm sure is what we all desire. ;)

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Victory! TLDEF Reaches Settlement in Landmark Federal Lawsuit Against South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles on Behalf of Transgender Teen Forced to Remove Makeup for Driver’s License Photo

3d407a6f28a82390f669c5578822687b037cc9f4adefa68abf70eb824d390f6b.jpg

SC DMV Agrees to Allow Chase Culpepper to Retake Her License Photo Wearing Makeup, Apologize, and Change Policy to Ensure that Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People Will Be Treated Fairly and Respectfully

http://www.latimes.c...0422-story.html

Edited by UsernameOptional
3 people like this

Posted

Wow, now that is thrilling news! :) :) :)

1 person likes this

Posted

That is good to hear.

1 person likes this

Posted

"A DMV spokeswoman refused to discuss the case Tuesday, saying the agency does not comment on pending litigation." -- latimes.com, a SC DMV Spokeswoman

Hmmmm. The way the article reads, the case is a done deal. Settled. Finished. Fertig. Fini. Kumaliza. Finito. And I saw nothing in the article that indicated there might be an appeal on the part of the state.

So WTH is she talking about? What's pending? Sounds to me that any training needs to start with her, 'cause her statement (IMHWO) screams loud and clear that she ain't gonna change, and she is not happy about the outcome.

Congrats to Chase on her win!

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

It may still be pending because a judge has to approve it - since a lawsuit was filed usually a judge has to approve any settlement. Hopefully that's all they mean!

2 people like this