LGBT Rights Calculator (US States)

6 posts in this topic

Posted

LGBT Rights Calculator

CNN: "Find out which states match your values when it comes to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights. Select the answer to each question and then move the slider between "not important" and "very important" depending on how strongly you feel about your answer. Click "submit" and you'll see all 50 states ranked according to your point of view. No. 1 most closely mirrors your values."

Use the calculator to see your results

It would be very interesting to hear how your state matches your values.
~ Lori

1 person likes this

Posted

So... let's see.

My home state (Oregon) ranked #8 based on my calculations. I moved to Oregon for the natural beauty and to get away from the congestion of the city I had lived in for many years. The human rights aren't why I moved here, but that is a pleasant bonus.

Washington state and District of Columbia were tied for #1 according to my answers. Washington is a nice state and I could definitely live there, but my politics and personal desires would never line up with DC.

No surprise here, but my birth state (South Carolina) ranked #48, very near the bottom of the list. SC seems to revel in backward thinking. They have never done me any favors and I still cannot obtain a birth certificate that shows my gender without the embarrassment of a stapled-on amended gender document.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think for a good many of us, results will be very similar - after my values were calculated, DC and the state of WA were tied for #1, and SC rolled in at #48 just as they did for Lori. The only difference may be where each of us lives, and where we might want to live.

The state I live in (OK) came in 49th, tied with AL and MS. Of course, that was really no surprise. Remember, OK is home to State Rep. District Judge and State Rep. Mike Turner. And a whole lotta peeps that think just like them. How else would these three yah-who's be in office, except that there were voted in by the majority? :blink:

My birth state (PA) fares a little better, coming in at #31.

3 people like this

Posted

Dear Lori and Michael,

Loved the LGBTQ Calculator and wish it was kept up to date. Even though it did not work due to the many (mostly positive) changes, it was a great exercise for me and helped me to gain self insight. I am sure you both know how I answered . . . hope New York was near the top!

Posted

Interesting...

I went to check out the calculator because I misinterpreted what you said as the calculator being defunct. I had not realized that the rankings associated with the calculator were from early 2013. But honestly...I seriously doubt that things have changed to such a degree as to so greatly affect rankings in just a year's time.

I used the calculator again, and the results were nearly the same as they were the first time. I did notice that PA was ranked 30th instead of 31st, but that could have been because of how I answered the questions this time.

Just for the heck of it, I played the fanatic, ultra conservative bigot who claims to be so very devoutly christian (crazies like Brian Fisher, Tony Perkins, Brian Brown, Linda Harvey, Scott Lively... :lol:)...against any and all rights and protections for TGBL people. For such a person, the best places to live were MS (1st), AL, OK and UT (all tied for 2nd). Again... were those results really a surprise? Such people should probably avoid living in the District of Columbia, IA, NY and WA... all tied at 48th and being the best places for TGBL to live.

1 person likes this

Posted

@​Lori:

I to am here in Oregon, I saw the thread and went to the calculator answered the questions but it would not let me submit and get my results. 

however I saw your comment and it is good to know even better that the way I understand things my OHP Plus cover most the transitions proceedgers . 

as I am in the very first stages of it all and begin going up to OSHU this next month on the 2cd.