18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

'Transparent': A New Dramedy Where Dad Becomes Mom

"... in what he [Jeffrey Tambor] calls "the role of a lifetime." Best-known for comedy, Tambor turns in a full-range performance as Mort Pfefferman, who, much to the shock of his grown children, comes out as a woman christened Maura."

Read more at http://abcnews.go.co...ad-mom-25722978

Edited by UsernameOptional
Edited to comply with AP publication guidelines.
3 people like this

Posted

I didn't see the article on the link above. I found this one http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/13/jeffrey-tambor-transparent-interview/

I think this will move transgender acceptance a long way forward.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

January 11, 2015 | 06:52PM PT

Jenelle Riley

Deputy Awards and Features Editor

"Not only was it Amazon’s first-ever Golden Globe award, “Transparent” also became the first online series to ever win a best series award, comedy or drama, at the annual awards show." --variety.com

Amazon, ‘Transparent’ Make History at Golden Globes

4 people like this

Posted

Andy Towle | September 8, 2016 | 12:28pm
"Jeffrey Tambor...getting off a plane in the airport when a man pointed, approached him, and grabbed him because of his role as transgender matriarch Maura Pfeffermen in Transparent."  -- towlerroad.com

Tambor Said a Man Came After Him

The new season of Transparent begins 23 Sept

3 people like this

Posted

Indeed, it's a brand new world. Thank you, Michael, for posting this. I'd also assumed that Tambor was attacked and was delighted to hear about his remarkable experience.

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

I've been watching "Transparent" on Amazon, and while I'm straddled the fence on who should play transgender characters, I have to admit that Jeffrey Tambour has done the part well. 

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

I am a fence straddler also on who should play transpeople like in Transamerica.  Bree was played by Felicity Huffman who did a wonderful job of it.  I would need to see options from the trans-actors.   I am also on the fence on whether or not I like the program.  Not only is the family dysfunctional but so is Maura.  Maura is also over-reactive as far as I am concerned.  What does the general public think about transpeople based on Maura's character?  I am not sure.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

I am a fence straddler also on who should play transpeople like in Transamerica.  Bree was played by Felicity Huffman who did a wonderful job of it.  I would need to see options from the trans-actors.   I am also on the fence on whether or not I like the program.  Not only is the family dysfunctional but so is Maura.  Maura is also over-reactive as far as I am concerned.  What does the general public think about transpeople based on Maura's character?  I am not sure.

Bonnie

​I have not watched the show, but I imagine the same thing we think of most television characters, completely one dimensional and fake.  Most characters on television shows are severely dysfunctional, from the characters just can't make decent decisions so they constantly have problems to the full out the person couldn't exist in real life levels.  While I understand every groups desire to be represented publicly, I'm not sure anyone comes out well on television as I'm drowned in show after show of morons with bad things happening and no real signs of intelligence or life.  Its like tv writers/producers/directors don't really understand that they create massive problems for characters to make intelligent choices about and raise the level of the viewing experience these days instead of lowering it.  They may be right thought, considering the long running sitcoms are things like The Simpsons and Married with Children.  The public certainly swallows up stupid and completely unrealistic video experiences.

Posted

I don't know what cisgender people might think of Maura on Transparent, but with all the dysfunction of the Phefferman family and the many characters, attitudes and lifestyles involved, I sorta have to think that along with trying to bring the life of a transgender woman into the spotlight, perhaps the show also wants to highlight the fact that a transsexual person can come from any walk of life, and more often than not, comes from any "normal," average family - no matter what that family is like.

1 person likes this

Posted

I really wanted to like watching Transparent, and I tried, and maybe this is my transphobia speaking but I found it hard to get into. I do appreciate the way that Jeffrey Tambour has allied himself with the trans community when he speaks. And I also really liked listening to the writer and director of the show on NPR, whose father was her inspiration for the story and script. But the show itself? It didn't grab me. Maybe I have to give it another shot or try to watch more episodes? 

1 person likes this

Posted

The good thing about Transparent, and I am not saying I didn't like the program I am just being over critical, is that ii is part of a larger picture.  The more programs about and /or including trans-characters is the exposure we are getting.  Society is seeing us on tv and we are being talked about.  I am coming out to more of the hockey players I play with.  They are fine with it.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

Dear Friends,

Think how "All in the Family" created real change in the U.S. and brought families together to watch and discuss what they learned!

Yours,

Monica

1 person likes this

Posted

Bonnie,

Tried to PM you, but I think your box is full.

Monica

Posted

Thank you Monica, I will delete some of the messages.

Bonnie

PS I want so badly to make a smartass comment on my box being full.  B)  But I won't.     hmmmm I think I did anyway.  :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Posted

Miss Bonnie <GASP> for shame, for shame! But ROFLMAO anyway  :D:D:D

Anywhoooooo...

"Think how "All in the Family" created real change in the U.S. and brought families together to watch and discuss what they learned!"  -- Monica
Yup... it would be so nice if shows like "Transparent" had a similar affect on society.  Sadly, I don't think it's happening.  And of course now, there are factors that have been thrown into the mix that are countermanding many improvements and advances, and even empowering the haters.

3 people like this

Posted

Hmm, I may have to check this out. It definitely looks interesting.

Posted

I actually didn't care for it until recently. I cringed to see Jeffery Tambor and what she (as a trans woman) was going through. A couple of weeks ago, though, I tried it again and couldn't stop binge watching it! 

1 person likes this