Upside and Downside of Ear Piercing.

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I posted a question last week about finding the best place to go to to get my ears pierced and now Iam thinking there is really a lot of things to consider. Please provide me your thoughts and best advise. Would also like to hear your experinces and what earings work best? Dawn

1 person likes this

Posted

My origional first post on this subject. Help question - Getting ready to get my ears pierced. A bit nervous about this. Want it done right. Was thinking about going to a medical center that does this but there is none in my area. Any good ideas? Dawn

1 person likes this

Posted

Dawn, some jewelry stores may pierce your ears FREE OF CHARGE with the purchase of pierced earrings. Ask your friends where they went. It is important they use gloves (after washing their hands), alcohol and sterile procedure. They use a gun which pierces the ear, at the same time installing the earring. It is best to start with a basic stud or circular earring because you will have to twist it around in your ear several times a day to keep the hole open. Have been present when a friend got her ears pierced and it was nearly painless! In the future, would avoid heavy earrings, as they tend to stretch the hole in the ear, and, after a few years, can be unattractive.

1 person likes this

Posted

Also, besides jewelry stores, [some] Walmarts also have piercing guns.

2 people like this

Posted

As I understand it, the problem with piercing guns is that they use the stud itself as the piercing needle. This method creates a puncture wound, which basically equates to localized trauma of the tissue (i.e., a micro-bullet wound).

Such puncture wounds can easily heal improperly, which, in turn can lead to infections, sensitivity and other problems down the road.

The better alternative is to use a hollow needle, like a hypodermic needle, which simply punches out a small core and tends to heal faster and cleaner. This is even more important in regards to cartilage piercings.

I think most places that do tattooing and body piercings use hollow needle method. Just make sure the place is clean , reputable and properly licensed.

~Shannon

2 people like this

Posted

Hello,

A Tattoo shop with a person who does piercings is best as in many states they must meet higher standards by health departments. When I was around 18 got my ears done, took about five minutes. Later in life had addition piercings by a professional, prep time along was over 10 minutes and to me that is very important so that the chance of infection goes to zero by the procedure,

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks - I had heard that the gun can cause problems. Appreciate all of the comments. Dawn

1 person likes this