Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My story published

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Several years ago I enlisted the aid of a therapist who wrote me my first letter for SRS. Afterwards he asked if I would be interested in him writing about me in an upcoming book he was writing. Last week I went over and proofed my part of the book. This week he has announced it is out. Just ordered my copy today.

There is no way to tell this is me but if anyone happens to get this book he uses Karen and Oregon as key words.

Transition and beyond: Observations on Gender Identity, Second Edition

6 people like this

Posted

Karen, can't do a thing this month , but I do want to purchace a copy ! I'm real proud of you're accomplishment !

1 person likes this

Posted

Very cool Karen. We have posted about Reid Vanderburgh in the past.

1 person likes this

Posted

Neat about your book - will want to read I am sure - Also - Oregon is one of my favorite places and I hope to go there next summer to run in HTC - (used to live in Washington State) - Dawn

1 person likes this

Posted

Update, the book signing is this Saturday. What is my first thought? One guess, what shoes will I wear (of course) :o I rifled through my current shoes but alas none suited me so I went out shopping and found the boots below and love them but I rarely if ever wear any type of heels so I will be working them in the next few days

BootsWithHeels.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

My best friend went with me last night; we arrived roughly 30 minutes early. Reid and his wife were there setting up along with a teenager. They were having minor difficulties with the decorations so my friend offered to help and did a wonderful job. We chatted with a Trans* person who was dressed as female. After a short time, I had to visit the restroom and my friend talked with her and learned came from Germany, moved to Oregon then went overseas for SRS back in the mid-nineties. The reason I mentioned when is that you could easily tell that she was very natural in her skin, which I have seen others that recently transition were still finding their way.

The author spent a 2-hour chat between the author and another man who in short asked Reid (the author) in-depth questions about specific parts of the book. I thought the discussion on cisgender and Trans* were great.

The first fifty pages is devoted to a new acronym that forms the base of the entire book and he spent a roughly 30 minutes last night giving real life examples to drive home his points.

My chapter is entitled “Transcendence Through Music”, pages 227-232.

3 people like this

Posted

Wow...the OP must be quite an interesting person and/or have a very interesting story.

I don't know if it's required or not (i.e., to obtain a subject's/client's permission if said individual's descriptors/story is not readily identifiable) nevertheless it was considerate of the author to obtain your permission prior to proceeding with your inclusion.

Very happy that your part of the book met your expectations.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for your comments :)

I have zero issues with my story being in this book. Reid called me saying he would like to include my story in his book and would I be kind enough (this is after I said yes) to meet me at a specific place to discuss updates on me since we last talked. The issue with "getting part of the story" wrong would had truly pissed me off if not for him including the correct information.

One of my core values is whenever possible share things that can assist others if possible. I am out there on the Internet in many forms from teaching self-defense to a recent award MVP Microsoft Valued Professional where there are 3 million possible candidates and that only 3,000 exists world wide which I am one and Microsoft is aware of this.

Any ways I could had made a big deal out of the story not being correct but that is not me. Reid has helped countless people in their struggles and for me contesting the issue is not worth it.

4 people like this

Posted

I would love to get this book..

1 person likes this