Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transgender suicide hotline

9 posts in this topic

Posted

transgender suicide hotline has arrived for those in need. http://www.translifeline.org/

3 people like this

Posted

I guess we came across it about the same time! Here's a link to an article in Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-adam-ackley-phd/trans-lifeline_b_6193310.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular,transgender

Emma

1 person likes this

Posted

I have been feeling very upset lately. Started seriously considering whether I can or want to continue living if being trans is going to mean losing my wife, friends, and family. I don't have any immediate plans to take action on this but I've sure thought about it a lot, created a to-do list, drafted a note to leave for my wife, etc. Tonight I remembered about this hotline and gave them a call.

My first call wasn't answered, probably because the volunteers were all busy. It is a Saturday night after all. I waited ten minutes and tried again, and my call was taken by a transwoman. We talked for more than forty-five minutes. She assured me that the call is confidential, didn't ask for my name, etc. I was a little scared at first but loosened up quickly.

Basically she was a sounding board, another transperson who knows from experience and trans-friends, what we go through. She said that being trans is scary, a shock to find out for both myself and my wife, and it takes patience and communication to explore and see how much acceptance both of us achieve. She has gone through transition, lost her wife, and while it was all very difficult, she wakes up now, happy in her body, and looking forward to each day. Imagine that.

She survived several suicide attempts as well, so she really knows first hand what I am facing. One thing she emphasized is that "the old school" of trans people was that they must fully be in the role of their target gender, doing nothing that their birth gender might have liked, such as hunting, sports, billiards, etc. Now, it's understood that whatever activities make us happy in either gender is fine. And many (most?) do not fully transition.

Probably the most important advice she gave me was to consider my options for micro-steps: things I can do to explore myself and get to know what I want and need. Perhaps this is something I can talk to my wife about. But that said, the transwoman mentioned that it's important that my wife not feel pressure to do or accept something she doesn't want or isn't used to. I have to be careful.

Anyway, I'm still feeling blue but perhaps a little less. I'm glad this service is available and recommend it.

Emma

1 person likes this

Posted

Scared my therp the day before Thanksgiving by describing that morning's Google searches and hits for my medications and which stated that "Overdose may be fatal" and that I could make a serious attempt while leaving enough doses in normal condition that COD could be ambiguous; really bad dysphoria that day, something that has never happened to me before. Scheduled for the 1st to reassure him I'd made it through the weekend. Still here, still impoverished in many, many ways, still burdened with no relief in sight.

2 people like this

Posted

I often feel conflicted telling my therapist about my feelings about suicide. I worry that he'll call someone to haul me away for a 72-hour lockdown. I guess I'm not that close but it fluctuates and some days it's hard to tell.

1 person likes this

Posted

Daneela - like me, you've been here, hanging around the TGG forums for a long time. I might not have ever met you, but over time, people get to "know" people even online. You're like a sister or cousin or something... so naturally, I'm glad you didn't do anything to harm yourself.

Emma - you've not been here very long, but you have an infectious way about you. I also picture you as gentle and kind...motherly-like. I think you've affected a few members here. I feel like we have something in common. So, even in the little time you've been here, you feel like a good friend. I'm glad you called to talk to someone. I'm gonna tell you like I told Warren... hammer on that keyboard - that's what it's for.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

Dear Mike,

Thank you for being here, for your help, your encouragement, and your friendship. I agree that we get to know each other in an amazing way. I hear your voice, and it's a pleasure getting to know you. You're like a big brother to me. I much prefer thinking of myself as your younger sister than a mother!

I was feeling a lot better this morning. I think talking last night really helped.

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Emma, I think of you as a little sister, too. HUGG

2 people like this

Posted

Emma, I know it sucks being the object of hatred, if you need a shoulder, I'm here......

1 person likes this