Windows 8 issue

23 posts in this topic

Posted

I just purchased a brand new Windows 8 laptop, wrote a blog posting in Microsoft Word then tried to paste it into a new blog entry, nothing. Next I tried doing the same thing on tanother page i.e. create a new email signed into Comcast via the same web browser and it worked. Next I tried setting this site into compatibility mode, no luck. So I am wondering if anyone else seen this happen

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, I hate Windows 8. I looked into buying a new machine for my wife about a year ago and didn't buy anything because I just think Windows 8 sucks so much. I use an iMac and although it has its own issues, I like it a lot. The transition to it of course had it's own issues.

I read recently that Microsoft released Windows 8.1 (I think this is the revision, not sure): I remember that you work in computer/software consulting so I assume you've done this, but... have you confirmed you have the latest release from Microsoft on your machine?

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes it was a brand new machine which during configuration it checks for updates. Going back tomorrow to look at one ones, I am a glutton for punishment ;)

2 people like this

Posted

Might possibly have something to do with Win8. I bought a Win8 (might have been 8.1) laptop almost a year ago. I took the thing back a month later and went in search of a laptop with Win7.

I don't use MS Word - but on occasion I do use Wordpad (I prefer MS Publisher). I copied text from Wordpad and successfully pasted it to a new blog entry.

I find it difficult to believe that the issue is Word...but I'm not a tech. Considering you mentioned you successfully pasted from Word to an email... it's possible that this might be one of those little glitches that you will suffer only here on the forums. There are one or two here who cannot make hard returns when creating a post, and I think I am the only one who does not get the right-clik menu that contains copy/paste when I am trying to paste to a new post no matter what I composed the post in. This is the only place I have that issue. These two issues are not common to just one O/S or browser.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

I decided to back away from a) a cheap laptop B) forget Windows 8. This morning I went to Dell and purchased a new 17" laptop with 8GB memory with free 2nd day shipping. I don't purchase computers often but usually purchase Dell and when I deviate from Dell bad things tend to go wrong. My last purchase was so long ago I can't remember and that Dell has severed me well

1 person likes this

Posted

But doesn't the Dell get shipped with Windows 8.1? It's not as if Dell has its own OS!

1 person likes this

Posted

If you shop for Dell at Dell then they still have new computers with Windows 7. I did check Best Buy first but they sell with Windows 8. I should had known about Windows 8, if you look at Windows history every other version is great, in between not so great.

2 people like this

Posted

Aha, well, good to know. My wife may need a new computer too, and she doesn't want Apple. Best Buy is only best if you really know what you want. Otherwise the employees are well meaning but not very sophisticated in my experience.

Here's a funny story about Best Buy. A few years ago I used to visit their headquarters in Minneapolis as we were trying to win some wifi chip business with them. They had (and probably still have) a big problem with sales of wifi routers and access points, with maybe 35-50% of them being returned by customers. They could not figure out why or how to fix the problem. In desperation they sent a video team home with some customers to record their experience. On hearing this I begged them to tell us a "good story" of what they learned.

The taped a man at home, opening up the access point's box, extracting the box, cables, power supply, and instructions. He reads the instructions out loud, "It says here to connect the access point to my home's router using the supplied Ethernet cable." He stopped, looked up at the camera, and sighed, "I thought it was wireless!" Poor guy.

Also used to visit Dell in Austin. They're a good company in a very tough market. It will be interesting to see if Michael Dell is able to turn it around.

At least you're getting a cool Christmas present to look forward to!

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Some stores, like Staples, had begun selling systems with Windows 7 on them online because of the fiasco with Windows 8. When I was searching for a computer with Win7 about a year ago, I discovered that while several companies had them, they were charging a little more for them... taking advantage of the fact that so many people wanted them instead of something with Win8. I gladly paid a little more.

There are claims that Windows 10 will return to some of the historical features that MS tossed to the curb when they spat out Windows 8 - like the start button and menu. I've also heard (read online...LOL) rumours that MS is going to give free Win10 upgrades to Win8 victims. If that's true... I guess MS has a conscience afterall.

But I don't thinks so... :lol:

Glad ya found a Win7 system, Karen. But let us know if you still have the issues pasting from Word to a blog entry.

-Michael

3 people like this

Posted

Have a new computer, completely different brand and different operating system, tried to paste from notepad and word, no luck. Like last time I can copy to other sites. Also noticed while typing on this site some letters do not appear. Has to be this sites software

2 people like this

Posted

Just tried compatibility mode, no luck

2 people like this

Posted

When typing my posts I have to toggle to turn everything off. Once done. I can toggle back on then make the Bold, Italic, etc. No idea why but at least it works now. Typing with the toggle on kept skipping letters and was quite frustrating.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

I just tried clearing the windows clipboard and not only can I paste but no more missing characters while typing.

http://www.ctimls.com/Support/KB/Error%20Fixes/Fix_Clipboard_Issues.htm

It is interesting that I never had this issue with my iPad or Windows Vista computer, go figure

2 people like this

Posted

I plan on purchasing a new laptop in 2015. I see that thee are some issues with Windows 8. Has the company mentioned anything about this?

1 person likes this

Posted

They have in a round-about way [quietly] admitted that Windows 8 was a failure. And I read a few months ago, that beta testing or something like that, returned poor results - the testers didn't like it, but MS went ahead and released it anyway. Allegedly, the brainiacs, supporters and pushers of Windows 8 are gone from MS now. But I fear there will be lasting affects of Windows 8. It's like sinking your life savings into your dream house... only to find out it's haunted. But you're there now, and you just have to put up with the resident ghost's occasional dastardly deeds no matter how bad they scare you!

2 people like this

Posted

I was just about going to call Microsoft as my MVP status allows me special technical support but decided nay. If you look at Windows every other version is crap.

1 person likes this

Posted

Do you still need support? For what?

1 person likes this

Posted

None needed now but as mentioned earlier this site does not work well for my computer, even with Windows 7. I monitor several forums for Microsoft where I do a good deal of typing, no letters skipped when typing ever but here I get missing letters and issues with pasting text all the time. Go back to my Windows Vista computer, no problems at all on this site, same for my iPad 1. I could make a educated guess at the issues but that is all Geek talk.

2 people like this

Posted

Oh, now I understand. I'm a native speaker of some Geek dialects but I imagine - like you I presume - that that might not be needed here. As a point of comparison I always log onto this forum using the Chrome browser on my iMac (in an Icognito window) and Safari on the iPad or iPhone also using private browsing, so that others who might use my systems won't see where I went. Yeah, I'm hiding.

The only problem I've had is when I'm writing a personal message on the iPad. Sometimes, especially if I get typing quickly, Safari can lock up. I then have to kill the application which loses all of my work. Thankfully this doesn't happen very often.

Have you tried another browser (e.g., Chrome, Firefox) to see if the problem goes away then?

1 person likes this

Posted

I have tried the current version of Safari and IE, no luck.

1 person likes this

Posted

Remember when Windows XE came and that was a disaster.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes indeed but luckily skipped it because I was not at a time to update.

2 people like this

Posted

Friends,

Have an HP Pavilion g6 laptop computer, and it came with Windows 8.0.  It kicks out any updates to Windows 8.0, even after manually updating to 8.1 and 8.1R (for "revised").  Hearing many complaints about Windows 8.0 and above, both face to face and online.  Think my operating system (O.S.) is incompatible with Windows 8.0 and above.  My computer was one of the first to come out with Windows 8.0 built-in.

Monica