Transgender teen struck and killed on Ohio interstate in apparent suicide

11 posts in this topic

Posted

UNION TOWNSHIP, Ohio — "A 17-year-old transgender teen was struck and killed by a passing semi trailer on an Ohio interstate on Sunday, and a previously written suicide note later appeared on the teen’s Tumblr blog through scheduled publishing."

Read the article online at http://www.lgbtqnati...parent-suicide/

2 people like this

Posted

Her parents killed her,and society killed her,but the main guilt is with the parents.

5 people like this

Posted

and this is why i left ohio...their so bigoted there..specially in columbus where im from

2 people like this

Posted

Sad story. VERY sad story. And the only thing that twists me in knots as much as why she felt she had to check out, is her request, "As for my will, I want 100% of the things that I legally own to be sold and the money (plus my money in the bank) to be given to trans civil rights movements and support groups, I don’t give a [crap] which one."

I will bet you my bottom dollar that her parents will make sure.... THAT. WILL. NOT. HAPPEN.

5 people like this

Posted

there is a petition i posted on the transgender rights and activism board for all to sign...

also...translifeline is selling shirts for donations...the shirts are black with their help number on it

https://www.booster.com/translifeline

6 people like this

Posted

This story is heart wrenching and hits home for me. My entire family has always been "good religious people." They tortured me with their misguided interpretations of God's will. I made it to the other side. Sadly, Leelah did not. This innocent child took what seemed to be the only way out to her.

I know from personal experience that life can get better, even when you're surrounded by ignorance and intolerance. It isn't easy, but you find support wherever you can find it -- from friends, extended family, school counselors, etc. and you just keep moving forward the best you can until you can get away from that environment. Then you will be able to live a life true to yourself, and it does get better.

4 people like this

Posted

This story is currently the front page headline on CNN.com. It is creating exposure for Leelah's story and I sense a respectfulness toward Leelah by the media that I have not always seen from the media. My hope (and apparently Leelah's as well) is that this will wake people up to the very real consequences when a child is not loved unconditionally.

Leelah's mother went on CNN where she said,

"We don't support that [being transgender], religiously," Alcorn's mother told CNN Wednesday, her voice breaking. "But we told him that we loved him unconditionally. We loved him no matter what. I loved my son. People need to know that I loved him. He was a good kid, a good boy."

I would beg to differ on Mrs. Alcorn's definition of unconditional love. It was exactly that intolerance that led her child to give up hope. I believe they thought they loved Leelah, but they were terribly misguided.

During the CNN interview Mrs. Alcorn said,

"He just quit talking about it (being transgender)."

If you're a child who is told you are "wrong" according to God and "wrong" according to your parents, then you internalize a great deal of conflict. It is no wonder Leelah quit talking about being transgender. It is obvious she did not get the acceptance she so desperately needed from her parents.

After Leelah's death, a Facebook post apparently from Carla Alcorn said her child

"went home to heaven this morning. He was out for an early morning walk and was hit by a truck. Thank you for the messages and kindness and concern you have sent our way. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts."

Mrs. Alcorn is apparently so interested in maintaining a nice, proper Christian image that she can't even acknowledge that her child identified as female and committed suicide. There is a serious disconnect with reality going on in that family.

Read the article online at http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

3 people like this

Posted

That the parents are just flat IGNORING what REALLY happened... even after the death of their child - just IGNORING what REALLY happened...angers me nearly beyond words!

Oh...but wait. I forgot. Stupid me!! The oh so holy church condemns suicide as a sin, too.

The girl was wracked with sin! No wonder her parents couldn't/can't deal. <_<

I wonder if they have any feelings for the poor trucker that hit their daughter? He's gotta live with their *!@#+~! ignorance too... 'cause it wouldn't have happened otherwise...

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

4 people like this

Posted

LGBT activst Dan Savage has publicly called for Leelah Alcorn’s parents to be prosecuted for her death, and said their other children should not remain in their care.

3 people like this

Posted

there is new evidence that leelah was on anti depressants that was dangerously high and that might have also pushed her over the edge as well. personally....the parents need to be jailed for this. in fact any parent or parents should be held accountable for their child's suicide.

1 person likes this

Posted

Someone followed up on the irrational urge to charge the Alcorns with child abuse, saying such response would be inappropriate and flameful, at least. I agree.

I agree that the Alcorn family's acceptance and approval were decidedly not provided unconditionally; does that mean that the definition of love is acceptance and approval? Seems so in this family. Almost certainly, they will eulogize and bury their son Josh, who gave himself up so that Leelah got a chance to live.

Worst is that Leelah knew her 18th birthday would change her legal status but couldn't see reaching that date and finding help to overcome the Christian Love of her parents. I can understand why and it points out that we need to communicate even more that we and our allies are ready, willing and able to help and to support each other as we journey.

2 people like this