Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Unethical Therapy

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I often find that Angus (Andrea) Grieve-Smith writes very thought provoking and interesting blog posts. He/she walks the walk and has done so for a number of years. (I use both pronouns because this seems consistent with the way the blog articles are written.) http://transblog.grieve-smith.com/2015/01/04/unethical-therapy/

I will be attending my first transgender support group meeting this week and am wondering how it will go. Grieve-Smith provides me with some questions for them: if I'm not walking toward the transition path will I be appreciated and accepted, and supported in my own journey? Perhaps I doth worry too much. We will see soon enough.

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Best wishes with the support group

2 people like this

Posted

It's okay to wonder if they will find your journey acceptable to them. It's another double-standard that unless we are transitioning, we cannot really be transsexuals. Well, that's their standard; here at TGGuide, we seldom express judgments like that, even if we individually feel them. I like to think that, "We know better!"

5 people like this

Posted

Daneela, thank you for your affirmation. I agree with you on all your points, especially the one about TG Guide. :)

2 people like this

Posted

The link/story referenced in the quote above is very interesting. Certainly reparative/conversion therapy is contra-indicated in the case of minors.. I also agree that adults in possession of their full legal rights should be allowed to pursue conversion/reparative therapy, if they so choose. However, as relates to some observations made by the blogger, I have mixed feelings.

Certainly as stated, "We trans people need therapy, and we deserve a range of options where we can find support for the path we choose....", and that, "...we do need support for those of us who have chosen to live without transitioning."

With regards to the following quotation: "Gender therapy is better than “conversion” therapy, because it doesn’t impose anything that the client doesn’t want, and it’s better than the “gatekeeping” practices that were prevalent for the late twentieth century, but it is still a biased situation where the only acceptable outcome is determined in advance." I agree that gender therapy is better than conversion therapy.. I do not believe that gatekeeping is any less prevalent now than it was in the late 20th century. Ethically nothing is, nor should it ever be, a biased situation where there's only one outcome that's determined in advance.

2 people like this

Posted

Therapists are human and like all of us they have their own beliefs and opinions. In my opinion the main issue (for adults) is if therapists knowingly try to impress their own preconceived notions or biases on their clients.

Like everything it's caveat emptor: as a "customer" of a therapist I have to evaluate their treatment technique and decide if it's good for me. But that assumes that the therapist is ethical and honestly portraying their treatment.

I agree with you, Six8, unethical therapists - and there's no doubt there are some but hopefully very few - can be harmful or dangerous.

Coincidentally, Huffington Post released this article today by Brynn Tannehill, whom I respect greatly, that repairative therapy doesn't work, causes harm (or worse), and should be banned: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/its-time-to-ban-reparative-therapy_b_6458224.html?utm_hp_ref=transgender

2 people like this

Posted

Friends, PLEASE click on Emma's link, as it has the BEST explanation of transgender that I have seen thus far!

1 person likes this

Posted

I clicked on Emma's link and read it. It is very interesting and confirms many of my thoughts and findings. The real crime is not letting people be who they really are.

3 people like this

Posted

I consider myself transsexual even though I am not in any way transitioning. I did go for therapy but stopped once I saw that the therapist had taken me as far as I was willing to go. He wanted me to come out and was telling me how to do that. I couldn't because of what I was going to lose if I did. I understand what he wanted and knew he was trying to help me but I just couldn't cross that line so I stopped. I am at relatively comfortable crossroads and will stay where I am unless something changes to move me forward.

I am sure there are more and more therapists with sexual/gender knowledge coming out to the schools. They should be used but always keep in mind that you decide what you will do or not do.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

I am at relatively comfortable crossroads and will stay where I am unless something changes to move me forward.

Dear Bonnie,

I think achieving "comfortable crossroads" is what we all want and aim for, no matter where we end up in the spectrum. People like you are great examples of what people like may may aspire to achieve.

Emma

1 person likes this