Everyone Transgender Is a Gay Man

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Dawn Ennis | February 02 2015 6:00 AM ET

"This policy has nothing to do with the fact that many trans people undergo hormone replacement therapy (HRT) to aid in their gender transition. Although the FDA mentions only hormones taken for menopausal symptoms and prevention of osteoporosis, the American Red Cross certifies this policy on its website: “women on hormone replacement therapy… are eligible to donate.”

"So if it’s not the meds, what is it? It’s that, to the Food and Drug Administration, all trans people are gay men. But that information is not on the agency’s website or in a pamphlet." -- advocate.com

To The FDA, Everyone Transgender Is a Gay Man

4 people like this

Posted

I dunno. I haven't had sex in years . Medicines I was on have precluded my ever having a desire again so I guess I get accused of guit W/O trial .....................

3 people like this

Posted

Ya know... how can we expect the cisgender world to see us as the men and women we are (especially you women), if the FDA sees the residents of the trans community as "just gay men?" That as bad as gay men that come here looking for gay sex - they obviously don't recognize trans either.

If those making the rules at the FDA are that narrow-minded, makes ya wonder what else such ignorance is applied to - at our expense.

4 people like this

Posted

Michael, sadly , some Trans women are every bit as "Trampy " as cis women . Medea sees this as us all. Meanwhile , the ones who are being good citizens quietly hide in the shadows .

3 people like this

Posted

Michael, sadly , some Trans women are every bit as "Trampy " as cis women . Medea sees this as us all. Meanwhile , the ones who are being good citizens quietly hide in the shadows .

Very true. And all the more reason for each donation to be dealt with case by case. And as I believe was pointed out in that article, now days, donors can be accepted or refused based on recent activity, and all donations are screened. Seems logical that there is no longer any way to justify arbitrarily refusing any group of potential donors.

3 people like this

Posted

Can't be gay  i am never happy....sorry i do not know how else to responde to this

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I wonder if the FDA knows what they want or what they are talking about. Seems they're clueless about transgender people and revel in their ignorance.

Edited by Gennee
4 people like this

Posted

I wonder if the FDA knows what they want or what they are talking about. Seems they're clueless about transgender people and revel in their ignorance.

I don't think knowledge, or the lack thereof, plays any part in this situation.  I believe the FDA, whoever the powers-that-be in the organization, the ones calling the plays, are simply exercising their bigotry under the guise of being concerned for public health.

I'm sorry... but it's my opinion that that's all it can be.  The refusal to differentiate between gay and trans, sexual orientation and gender identity, and the assumption that all gay people (especially all gay men, which obviously in their book includes transgender women) are at the very least, HIV positive.

Maybe if everyone threatened to stop donating all together, it would put various organizations into a frantic tailspin because of the catastrophic impact the lack of any blood supply would have on medical care, and in turn cause a major and drastic change in peoples' attitudes.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

I think this is a case of the agency still catching up with reality.  I think the wheels of federal justice, or sense, simply move more slowly that we'd like.  I know of no authoritative treatise that explains the gender identity - gender expression - sexuality - queer range of reality.  Maybe we should start with that...  

1 person likes this

Posted

The fda can get really weird.  For example, I'm not eligible to donate plasma.  For some reason, having asthma means they can't take my blood, separate out the cells from teh liquid, give the cells back, tell me to drink water to regenerate the liquid plasma, and use the donated plasma from me.  Or give me an explanation.  So I imagine it must be so much worse for transgendered men and women.  And the automatic assumption that strait = healthy and gay = bloodborn diseases is socially dangerous.  Anyone can have something. 

1 person likes this

Posted

With apologies for making light:  I can assure the forums, and the fda, that I am quite disease free.  But thanks for asking.  Let me know if you need some blood or anything, I'm always here to help.

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think knowledge, or the lack thereof, plays any part in this situation.  I believe the FDA, whoever the powers-that-be in the organization, the ones calling the plays, are simply exercising their bigotry under the guise of being concerned for public health.

I'm sorry... but it's my opinion that that's all it can be.  The refusal to differentiate between gay and trans, sexual orientation and gender identity, and the assumption that all gay people (especially all gay men, which obviously in their book includes transgender women) are at the very least, HIV positive.

Maybe if everyone threatened to stop donating all together, it would put various organizations into a frantic tailspin because of the catastrophic impact the lack of any blood supply would have on medical care, and in turn cause a major and drastic change in peoples' attitudes.

-Michael

All the federal agencies are corrupt anyway.

1 person likes this

Posted

You can't argue with fear, people ultimately want to be safe.  As a mass population they'll always err on the side of caution.   We can't even argue that...people lie.  Tainted blood gets into the system, and the recipients pay consequences.   Even people approved to donate have risks.  Ya know, had to look up if Nikki even can, I wasn't sure if people who formerly had any kind of cancers can.  Apparently he can, but only a year after the treatments were done. 

The only thing in my opinion that will really solve the social and physical issues with blood donation is fast and reliable testing, on the spot tests everyone gets every time when we go in and donate.  And while std's are everyone's big fear, there are other equally dangerous things out there carried in blood that can be going to immune compromised people, or even just something simple but someone severely injured whose body isn't up to fighting it off.  And every time because just because three months ago you were healthy doesn't meant today you aren't carrying a flu virus, the start of some kind of blood infection, or any of the bigger stuff like an std or blood cancer.  Blood cancer may sound funny, but my grandfathers presented as a low grade cold that wouldn't quit.  NO one thinks twice about colds, do they?  Life doesn't exist in a bubble, everyone gets exposed to things regardless of their nationality, general health, sexuality, gender identity, or geography. 

Our world is a really dangerous place from natural disasters to microbes.  It supports life, but only because we started here and have evolved to survive it.

1 person likes this