Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transgender Latina Woman Killed In San Francisco

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Transgender Latina Woman Killed In San Francisco

"Taja Gabrielle DeJesus was fatally stabbed Sunday morning in San Francisco... SF Weekly reports that DeJesus, 33, died at the scene... DeJesus’s Facebook shows she worked for TRANS: THRIVE, a drop-in center for transgender people"

Read the article at http://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/transgender-latina-woman-killed-in-san-francisco#.xk0agQl5q

Excerpted from article:
Nationally, transgender women of color were the victims of 67% of all hate-motivated homicides against LGBT people in 2013, according to a report on hate violence last May by NCAVP.

Sadly, this happened in a city that prides itself on diversity and acceptance. Please be safe! It seems for every step forward that we take, we encounter even more obstacles. It seems to me that transgender people are the latest minority group that US society tolerates discrimination against. The crime against transgender people isn't anything new and transgender women of color have always been especially vulnerable. What has changed is the wider acceptance of gay and lesbian people, so that leaves transgender folks in the cross hairs of every comedian looking for a cheap laugh, every bible thumping bigot and every idiot who is frightened by someone different. ~ Lori

4 people like this

Posted

That is so sad. San Francisco has earned such a reputation for tolerance and acceptance but like every city it has some very dangerous neighborhoods. You're right Lori, no matter what, be vigilant, be careful.

3 people like this

Posted

I know it doesn't make it go away, I know it doesn't help "the cause," but lately, I've sorta gone into a "head-in-the-sand" mode when it comes to the murders of transgender people.

I have several TGLB (news, magazine, information) websites bookmarked, and I had been going to at least four of these sites every day. And nearly every day, there was news on someone transgender being murdered somewhere, or being beaten to within an inch of life, or being attacked...and of course, the majority of the victims were transgender women, and the majority of them, women of colour. I think it finally became too much during the case involving CeCe McDonald. I don't know the woman, but that case really angered me - no doubt a mix of several factors. Since then, it has become difficult for me to read such articles.

I think something else that really gets to me is that too often, no one saw anything. Yeah, right. And then, when there is a suspect found and charged, that suspect seems to get off with little more than a slap on the hand. And for surely what has got to be nothing but bigotted reasons, it seems that too many places seem hell-bent on refusing to outlaw the gay/trans panic defense. Though this type of defense is allegedly inadmissable in many jurisdictions, if a defense is able to just do as much as mention it - even if prosecution objects - it's out there, and it surely affects a jury. At least if a law is in place, it can't even come up in a court setting. At this time, apparently California is the only state to have a law against gay/trans panic.

I guess the very bitter, ironic "silver lining" to this incident (and the other CA murders mentioned in the article) is that the murderers will not be able to use the gay/trans panic defense.

-Michael

4 people like this

Posted

I did not read the article because I am assuming this was no different than the other countless stories we hear about which is shameful no matter what city it happens in.

This simply strengthens my resolve to get out there and teach defensive tactics.

In a 6 hour class I can teach very simple technics that can perhaps save someone's life. All technics are purely done with your body, mostly arms, elbows and hands, yes and legs too. Note that many classes are 8 hours but at about the 6 hour point roughly 80 percent of students (not just in my classes) get what I call "Deer in the headlights" look so I dropped my 8 hour classes to 6 hour classes.

In a four hour class I can teach people how to defend with a flashlight.

Combine these two classes together over a weekend and you have a good solid foundation that greatly enhances your chances for survival.

I have countless other classes too.

Why mention all of this? Because I want to get out there, not just in Oregon and teach this stuff. Think it is time I put together a syllabus, how someone can sponsor these classes, hardship rates along with regular rates.

Nobody and I mean nobody should have to live with any fear from whom they are thinking LGBT.

Grrrrrrrr

3 people like this

Posted

Many of these assaults/murders of LGBTQ people are a result of a backlash against the recent advances in the rights of LGBTQ people. What bothers me is that many of these crimes happened in broad daylight. In the case of San Francisco, many of the attackers resided OUTSIDE of San Francisco!

3 people like this

Posted

UPDATE --

"It's unclear how Hayes and DeJesus knew each other, or for how long. SFPD spokesperson Officer Albie Esparza would not confirm that Hayes was the suspect in the stabbing, but wouldn't [sic?] only say that the case was not being investigated as a hate crime." --sfist.com

Man Suspected Of Killing Trans Woman In Bayview Found Dead

"... the case was not being investigated as a hate crime."

That's not really surprising. To be honest, I sort of expected that.

I realize we don't know all the facts, but of all the articles I've read (and I know there are probably just as many that I've never seen), I have seen only ONE case in which authorities were going to attempt to charge the suspect with a hate crime. So far, I don't believe I've seen one that just happened to be a crime of opportunity.

-Mike

3 people like this