florida bill to criminize transfolks who who the bathroom in the state

13 posts in this topic

Posted

anyone who lives in florida....get out now while you can...im telling you...if this bill passes....you will be sent to jail for going to the restroom in the state of florida.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2015/02/06/florida_bill_would_imprison_trans_people_for_using_public_bathrooms.html

2 people like this

Posted

ACLU response.....

https://aclufl.org/2015/02/06/aclu-responds-to-absurd-proposed-anti-transgender-legislation/

2 people like this

Posted

Sad this is happening. Everyone must make choices although the choices can be restricted in moving to another state as it's not easy to get a job especially in these trying times.

1 person likes this

Posted

Anyone in the East should also know Charlotte North Carolina CITY officials re also debating a Bathroom bill similar to FLORIDUH ! These bills are BOTH Patterned after Virginia law. Anyone who follows me on FB should know my distain for Government . Sign the Petitions people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 people like this

Posted

Mitch Kellaway | March 06 2015 2:43 PM ET

"A Florida House subcommittee approved a controversial bill Wednesday that aims to bar citizens from using single-sex public restrooms, dressing rooms, and showers that do not correspond with the gender listed on their legal identification, reports the Tampa Bay Times." --advocate.com

Florida Takes First Step Toward Criminalizing Trans People's Bathroom Use

Bill aims to bar people from facilities that "do not correspond with the gender listed on their legal identification...."

Okay. I can't help but wonder just how far they've thought this stupidity out. Well, hell, not far...that's obvious.

Let's eliminate all persons who identify as, or appear to be androgynous, and let's also eliminate all persons who may not appear masculine or feminine enough (by nature or choice) at first glance to these 'phobes. Such people can (and surely will) get caught up in this bathroom bill if it passes, but for now, I just want to look at this issue involving trans people. Specifically... trans women.

Let's say there is a trans woman who needs to visit the ladies room while she's in the "Jigsaw Puzzle Palace." Unfortunately, she doesn't pass well. She transitioned late in life after struggling for years trying to be something she wasn't, and time and "T" ravished her to the point that "E" did little for her. BUT... she has transitioned and lives as any other woman. And she has had all of her government-issued ID's changed to reflect her female gender. This was no problem because she was born in a state that does not require genital surgery to have a BC changed.

Now, the busy-body "bathroom cop" in the store knows her. They've known each other for several years - bathroom cop knew the woman before she transitioned. Bathroom cop is a stauch, far right, homo-/transphobic religious fanatic who's against marriage equality and believes one's DNA and genitals dictate sex/gender. In fact, bathroom cop works for the "Puzzle Palace" because the owner harbours the same beliefs.

What's the bathroom cop gonna do? Stick to his/her [bigotted] guns despite the trans woman having proper ID as required by law, and keep her from entering the restroom? Will s/he pull a on the woman, and stomp a mudhole in her? Or will bathroom cop swallow hard, clench his/her teeth and fists, and let the woman.... pass?

Does Florida not realize that a simple thing as ID is not going to stop someone from harming another if that is what the person has in mind?

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

Michael,

Clearly, you are correct. This is all motivated by imbecilic and bigoted people -- mostly men, I imagine -- who are afraid of anything that challenges their misguided view of life. I can only hope that the momentum of their own stupidity will show the world how crazy they are. In the end it's laws like these that will win battles for us.

Emma

1 person likes this

Posted

There’s an anti-transgender bathroom bill moving through the Florida legislature.

At a hearing last week, many testified to the dangers of the bill. If made into law, people using bathrooms will be treated like criminals if the gender marker on their driver’s license or birth certificate differs from how they look. That puts a lot of transgender people at risk.

And it’s on business owners to guess at and scrutinize a person’s gender. This is simply humiliating.

Can you help us stop this bill before it goes to the next committee? Join over 47,000 petition signers and send a resounding message to Florida lawmakers to stop this bill in its tracks.

ETTemplateh-line.gifETTemplateclear.gifETTemplateclear.gifETTemplateclear.gif

Tell Florida lawmakers to stop this bill in its tracks.

Did you hear about the absurd new bill introduced in Florida that would imprison people for 60 days for using a public restroom that the state decides doesn’t match their gender?

Sounds ridiculous right?

Clearly this bill is meant to primarily attack trans people – a community that already faces extreme amounts of harassment and discrimination in the workplace, in schools, on the streets – and, in bathrooms. This bill makes harassment and discrimination the government's job.

The Florida legislative session just started last week and the bill has already passed its first committee.

Don’t let this bill become law – sign today and send a resounding message to the lawmakers trying to pass this bill in Florida.

No one should have to prove their gender to use the restroom. It’s a shameful invasion of privacy – and heaps humiliation on top of the daily harassment and bullying trans people already face.

And how exactly would this law be enforced? This bill puts the burden on business owners to become gender police or risk potential liability.

In addition to dehumanizing transgender people, this bill also invites humiliation and harassment of anyone who is not considered sufficiently feminine or masculine by any person who happens to be watching the bathroom. Should your sneaker salesman really decide which bathroom you should use? Should you be interrogated because you wore a baseball hat and were perceived as male when you identify as female?

Ok so let’s see - the bill is not good for transgender people, not good for anyone who doesn’t fit traditional gender stereotypes, not good for business owners… so who exactly is it good for?

Florida state Rep. Frank Artiles who introduced the bill claims it’s for “public safety,” but that notion just uses ugly and discriminatory fears of trans people to create an unequal Florida. We need to make our voices heard before he has a chance to lay out this ugly bill in the next committee hearing.

Time to defeat this bill before it makes harassment and discrimination state law.

To make things worse, “inspired” by Florida’s targeting of trans people, Texas and Kentucky just introduced similar bills in their states. We can’t let this awful idea spread any further.

Let’s rally together and stop bullying from becoming law in Florida – and elsewhere.

Thank you for taking action,

Anthony for the ACLU Action team

Here's the link to the petition...

https://www.aclu.org/secure/papers-to-pee?emsrc=Nat_Appeal_AutologinEnabled&emissue=LGBTrights&emtype=petition&ms=eml_150312_LGBT_FLtransbathroomKicker2&__af=PNQIG4lyU5vgbpiSZY73nqobiwIRUrBfDGFyidR9%2BkA27%2BET3KtX40hnlqf0IVczGBUjIhpIldvHfGPAAyoxfaj8K04azB7S%2FOxSP91VyChb4AFZ%2Fn7F2XKDy8QYm1jH2jFGbrHwKYIdwKaV9VqtHkcNcLXD7ZAUJ%2BCNb3%2FneDUSWqtszgcwjnLuTd8i7R%2BuZ1AZwG4zFub3nK4RYGgI0rsxhuHpnR7Yp1b0HOumM4%2FxphKXUNDSCUID2NE4j02u

2 people like this

Posted

I just signed the petition and donated $25 to the ACLU. Thank you for posting this; it's important that we do what we can to stop this kind of ridiculous action.

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Problem is... this ridiculous action seems to be spreading. Laws being created to criminalize trans people using restrooms, lawmakers rescinding/repealing TGLB anti-discrimination laws, and some states passing laws making it illegal for any city to adopt TGLB anti-discrimination laws.

I tell ya people... my fear is, if the next prez is republican, he will un-do everything he possibly can that the current president has done for the TGLB community, and especially for trans people. And whether one likes Obama or not... to the best of my knowledge, he is the only prez who's ever done anything for us.

We best brace for the worst, while we work and hope for the best.

3 people like this

Posted

I hope, as I'm sure you do, that this isn't becoming a trend. I am also fearful that a Republican will be elected. I cannot imagine the mess that a Republican president, Congress, and Senate, would create if only through momentum.

2 people like this

Posted

I just signed the petition. The question I keep asking is can any of these bigots give an instance where a woman or children were harassed or threatened by a transgender person in the bathroom?

3 people like this

Posted

"...can any of these bigots give an instance where a woman or children were harassed or threatened by a transgender person in the bathroom?" --Gennee

Nope. And if they can, or claim they can...they are vastly more knowledgeable and informed than the many entities and individuals that would have known about such cases from time the attack occurred, to the victim reporting the crime, to the investigation of the crime, to the collection of such data by the various TGLB organizations, and of course the news. I'm positive something like this would have been a huge news item. News media would have been all over it like mud on a pig!

Now, if they do know of attacks on women and children in women's spaces by "men in dresses," my question is... how have they kept it so quiet that only they are privvy to this "issue?"

If they only knew how ignorant they cause themselves to look and sound ....

2 people like this

Posted

Was never harassed by a transwoman in the lady's restroom or anywhere else, for that matter, but on a few occasions, harassed by a cisgender Straight woman at least once in the lady's restroom, in a public area, such as a restaurant, or outdoors. Not once did I provoke her. Seems like some people are always looking for a fight . . . and I refuse to give it to them . . .

1 person likes this