Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

MonicaPz : (01 April 2015 - 04:38 PM) Please click on "Community Calendar," to RSVP for the teleconference call this coming Saturday, April 4th, at 3 P.M. EST.  See you there!
UsernameOpti... : (01 April 2015 - 10:06 AM) "Gov Steve Beshear is arguing that Kentucky's ban on gay marriage isn't discriminatory because it bars both gay and straight people from same-sex unions." (gaystarnews.com)  ha ha ha ha ha... he's so funny.  Makes me wanna move to KY ASAP...  <_<
UsernameOpti... : (01 April 2015 - 08:21 AM) HAPPY BIRTHDAY to: Erica941  
veronicabeta : (31 March 2015 - 07:17 PM) So, the binaries have never gotten they're calendars synched, since forever ! ;)
veronicabeta : (31 March 2015 - 07:16 PM) SO
veronicabeta : (31 March 2015 - 07:16 PM) Also, tomorrow is April fools day until noon local. It's also Concordia Virilis. Women seek harmony with Men.
veronicabeta : (31 March 2015 - 07:15 PM) To celebrate today, I am grooving on this ! :) https://www.youtube....h?v=oGTjHSBYQLw
Brians3420 : (31 March 2015 - 05:45 PM) Hey wuz up everyone and happy transgender visibility day! Did anyone have a good time with other TG's?
UsernameOpti... : (31 March 2015 - 04:29 PM) HTGVD!!  :)
WarrenG : (31 March 2015 - 05:18 AM) HAPPY TRANSGENDER VISABILITY DAY GUYS ^_^ and girls lol
EmmaSweet : (30 March 2015 - 08:41 PM) I think Veronica and Violet need to invite us all over for BBQ very soon. I'll bring a nice bottle or two of Petite Syrah!
MonicaPz : (30 March 2015 - 07:19 PM) When am I invited to that barbecue?
veronicabeta : (30 March 2015 - 05:37 PM) Hi sigurdoug ! :)
sigurdoug : (30 March 2015 - 04:44 PM) Hello to everyone :wub:
veronicabeta : (30 March 2015 - 04:16 PM) !;)
EmmaSweet : (30 March 2015 - 03:56 PM) You're making me hungry Veronica!
veronicabeta : (30 March 2015 - 03:50 PM) Making tea. Pork barbeque medallion sandwiches, Potato rolls. Fries. Slaw. KNOSH! :) It's the little things ! :)
veronicabeta : (30 March 2015 - 02:26 PM) About 5:10 AM.
veronicabeta : (30 March 2015 - 02:22 PM) So cool Saw the ISS This morning over Front Range Denver Colorado
middgirl : (30 March 2015 - 01:28 PM) who looking for support n help with this I wear womans clothes out in town

Facebook adds new gender option for users: fill in the blank

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

olcharlie

olcharlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, kindness, books, life, death and everything...
I'm not a social media sort of person.  But this really is pretty huge in our world.  And it was made possible by a transgender person named Ari Chivukula.  Maybe facebook, and Ari Chivukula in particular, should get a load of appreciation in their inbox.  I decided to post this under the noteworthy section, as I believe Ari Chivukula deserves to be considered as such.

Feb 26, 3:36 PM (ET)
By MARTHA MENDOZA

Facebook users who don't fit any of the 58 gender identity options offered by the social media giant are now being given a rather big 59th option: fill in the blank.  "Now, if you do not identify with the pre-populated list of gender identities, you are able to add your own," said a Facebook announcement published online Thursday morning and shared in advance with The Associated Press.

Facebook software engineer Ari Chivukula, who identifies as transgender and was part of the team that made the free-form option, thinks the change will lead to more widespread acceptance of people who don't identify themselves as a man or woman.  "We're hoping this will open up the dialogue," Chivukula said.

---
Follow Martha Mendoza at https://twitter.com/mendozamartha

And read the whole story here:

http://apnews.myway....2e6f893fe4.html
will nap for food

veronicabeta

veronicabeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:About me? Hi! See my blog.
Begs that the question be asked. WHY does someone have to provide they're "gender" in the first place? Fill in the blank sounds like a wonderful idea. I can think of such great stuff to put in there. I think my first choice would be guess, or ovipositor or trafalmadorian, but I suppose it would depend on my mood! :)

Veronica.
"I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose". J.B.S. Haldane, FRS, Scientist, 1892 - 1964.

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts
"WHY does someone have to provide they're "gender" in the first place?"  --Veronica

THANK YOU!!

Of course, in the case of Facebook, I believe it's all just lip service as many gay members are harassed and have their accounts suspended (and without fb checking first to see if the complaints are legit) after bigots report everything and anything they post.  The largest group of victims are gay men.  

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

Bonnie

Bonnie

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,260 posts
I just checked my FB and saw the choices Female, Male and Custom.  Custom gives a range of trans choices which is an improvement but not all inclusive yet.  I originally selected female but just changed it to trans female.  Not sure where the 58 now 59 choices come from as noted by olcharlie?

Bonnie

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts
I don't think it was olcharlie noted the previously 58, now 59, choices - that was quoted from the article which included info from a Facebook announcement.

That being said... it seems too often that fb says one thing and does another.  If those 59 choices don't really exist...good luck getting answers from fb!

NOTE:  Isn't it amusing that the reporter's article is about farcebook (uh, sorry, I mean facebook :P ), then at the end of the article, readers are invited to follow her on twitter?    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

EmmaSweet

EmmaSweet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, learning new things, reading, playing fingerstyle guitar, camping, cooking, petite Syrah, sharing experiences with friends.
Hey Michael, indeed, that is a crack up! LOL!!!
"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." - Leonard Cohen

"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself." - Anna Quindlen

"We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." - Eleanor Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users