Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How Does Your State Rank On The Civil Rights Issue Of Our Time?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

image.jpg

R29 Editors | Mar 9, 2015 4:50 PM

"In 2010, Vice President Joe Biden made headlines when he said that transgender discrimination is "the civil rights issue of our time." And, while there are still many civil rights battles to be fought, this past year has included incredible advances in turning American attention to not just transgender rights, but transgender life. Jill Soloway's Transparent, about a family learning that their father is transgender, has been a huge success. Congressman Mike Honda of California has openly supported his transgender granddaughter. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless." --refinery29.com

How Does Your State Rank On The Civil Rights Issue Of Our Time?

2 people like this

Posted

Am amazed New York State does not do better!

Posted

New York State has been trying to pass the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act for a decade and a half. It blew the chance to pass it in 2010 when marriage equality was passed. Thank the Human Rights Campaign for that. The mainstream GLBT oorganizations didn 't step up either when it needed to.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thankfully, we're not Alabama . I'm in Virginia and while it's been a "Jailable " offense to use a restroom before SRS, we don't have Bath room gestapo either .

2 people like this

Posted

They got Oregon right :)

3 people like this

Posted

They got Oregon right :)

Oregon always seem to be ahead of the curve on these matters.

:)

2 people like this

Posted

I just have to add to this thread, about Mike Honda. The other morning my wife and I were at our local coffee shop reading the paper. I noticed this article on the front page and worried about how she might react if she saw it:

Transgender grandchild: Rep. Mike Honda says 8-year-old's gender change not a phase

Well, she did. And you know what she said? "Isn't that nice to hear about what Mike Honda feels about his transgender granddaughter?" You could have knocked me over with a feather. My wife and I have both come a long way in the past six months. Still have miles to travel but the load is getting a little lighter. :) :) :)

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Not surprised about New York, if it was just NYC it would be dark green, but the rest of the state isn't so progressive.

NJ as a state is much more so, notwithstanding the current, unfortunate governor.

2 people like this

Posted

I find that the colors on the map are too close to each other. I can't tell the difference between "poor" and "very poor". It looks like the only very good states are California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado and Vermont.

1 person likes this

Posted

In regards to coloring, best to click on the link to see information on individual states.

1 person likes this

Posted

It looks like the only "poor" states are New York and North Carolina.

1 person likes this

Posted

Dear Friends,

Please click on the map, and it will enlarge and be a little clearer.

The "unacceptable" states are the ones that are striped.

Yours truly,

Monica