9 posts in this topic

Posted

Lucas Grindley | March 30 2015 2:55 AM ET

"The joke sparked negative headlines all over entertainment media and was a huge dud on social media, which called out Foxx as transphobic. Perez Hilton tweeted, "Boo! Shame on you #iHeartAwards for allowing @iamjamiefoxx to be transphobic on national television! Those #BruceJenner jokes were wrong!!!"" -- advocate.com

Jamie Foxx Called Out for Crossing Line on Bruce Jenner Jokes

I didn't seem to hear any "booing" in the video clip of Foxx's poor humour. To the contrary, there was laughter, and you could hear and see some audience members clapping.

In fact, before Foxx dropped the first "joke," just the mention of Jenner's name elicited laughter... as if in anticipation of something to do with Jenners gender identity.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

Yes, it was incredibly poor taste. In fact, he lost an opportunity to come up with a laugh that would have been supportive, thereby demonstrating his creativity, humor, and acceptance. Unless his jokes confirm his own underlying prejudices and feelings in which case, in today's climate, may very well hurt his career. We'll see.

2 people like this

Posted

Michael and Emma,

My favorite comedian, Bob Hope, said that a true comedian shouldn't resort to cursing and/or cheap shots. Saw him live once and my parents saw him live several times, and he stayed true to his high standards. Bob Hope said resorting to cursing and/or cheap shots showed that a comedian lacked talent. Wonder what Bob Hope would have thought of Jamie Foxx . . .

Yours truly,

Monica

2 people like this

Posted

Dear Monica,

I agree with you and Bob Hope. My wife took me to see Jerry Seinfeld a few years ago and I've never laughed as hard. Nothing crude or disparaging toward others, just fantastic humor and delivery.

That said, j saw the guy who had the Seven Dirty Words routine way back in the day. See, I can't even remember his name! Boring. I would have left but a friend took me to see him for my birthday present.

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Much of what is humor today is crass and gross. Cursing and putting down others in the name of getting a cheap laugh shows a lack of class and courtesy.

3 people like this

Posted

Wow, clapping & laughing. I'm so glad other folks (besides me) thought it was a funny skit. I didn't watch the video but I did read the transcript and absolutely loved the "batting-balls-while-they're-there line. I was getting a little worried because even though I thought that part of the skit was funny, all the headlines were how Mr. Foxx had bombed and was in such big trouble with the fans.

Guess although the audience loved him (or so I've read in this thread), the folks who make their living by political correctness reframed the audience's laughter and applause into something different.

For God's sake, can't we loosen up a little bit and see the comedy as well as the tragedy in our circumstances (ie, when were just living life without either tragedy or comedy)? That Lorn guy on Saturday night live was once asked why they didn't do more skits on Liberals or Democrats. His response was that Republicans & Conservatives have a sense of humor and can laugh at themselves. He said that Liberals can't take a joke. I'm really starting to believe that.

2 people like this

Posted

Daniella, I agree that we can be too sensitive, that it would be better if we could just lighten up. I think the issue here is that Jamie was joking "about" Jenner instead of "with" her. There's a subtle difference, I think. And given how we (or at least I) feel about prejudice and societal opinions about LGBT people, my antennae are finely tuned.

If nothing else I don't see how Foxx's comedy furthered our cause. If you will, it was at our expense, which I just don't see as humorous. But that's only my opinion.

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Emma, George Carlin did the seven words you can't say on television. I thought he was great.

I wouldn't make a big deal over Foxx's Jenner jokes until I knew how Bruce and the family felt about them. If they found them hurtful then I would make a fuss about it. The transgender community has made their opinion, lets see if the jokes continue.

I did see a transgender MtF sing a duet in both her female and male voices. It was entertaining and the audience loved it.

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

Emma and Bonnie,

Watched Jimmy Kimmel make one tasteful joke about B. Jenner (sorry, I can't remember what it was) and was pleased that the audience enjoyed it without mean cat calls.  Then Jimmy went on to joke about other things.  Wish everyone put the thought into it before sharing their "humor," as Jimmy did.

Monica

1 person likes this