Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NYT: "Anti-Bias Ordinance Falls in Springfield, Missouri, After Push by Christian Conservatives"

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Despite all the positive spin ("it was so close!") I am disappointed to find this article in today's New York Times: Anti-Bias Ordinance Falls in Springfield, Missouri, After Push by Christian Conservatives

I was also taken aback by this paragraph:

“With the advance of marriage, you have two core beliefs that we believe are at odds in this country: religious freedom, and at the same time we believe as Americans that we don’t discriminate. That’s the fight we’re seeing right now,” Mr. Bockelman said. “What’s the length we can extend one without infringing on the other?”

Mr. Bockelman is the executive director of Promo, an advocacy group working on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues in Springfield, so I'm taking issue with his statement. Since when does "religious freedom" have anything to do with discrimination against others? My understanding is that the words "religious freedom" means freedom to practice ones religion without discrimination from others, not the other way around.

I think we need to get our messages straight.

Emma

1 person likes this

Posted

The KKK has come out against the Westborough Baptist Church using this same FLAWED lodgic .

1 person likes this

Posted

"[Calvin Morrow*] questioned whether discrimination against gay and lesbian residents actually happened in Springfield and said the fight over the ordinance had left the city divided." -- (AP) bigstory.ap.org, 8 Apr 2015

If Mr. Morrow, and all his cronies don't believe that any discrimination exists, then why worry about repealing the law? It would have been one law to sit in the books and just collect dust. If no discrimination existed, then life in Springfield would not have changed. Life would go on like it had before the law was passed.

Problem is, WITH a law, they can no longer practice their discrimination, which they probably don't consider it discrimination when no law exists to point that out. WITHOUT a law, they can discriminate behind their cloak of religion, and sit back and gloat because those discriminated against would have no recourse. And too often, when there's no recourse, no one except the offenders and the offendees know what happened, allowing a place to live in their ignorant bliss believing that discrimination doesn't exist.

It always seems so easy to punch gaping holes in the idiotic reasons for bigotry.

*Calvin Morrow is one of the leaders of a Christian group which supported repeal

Posted

Doublespeak if you ask me.

:)