Deleting Messages/Conversations

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

How to delete messages/conversations:

............1.  Empty the entire inbox - wipe it all out in one fell swoop
.................a.  clik on the "gear" found to the right of "My Conversations," just above the list of PMs down the left
.................b.  in the menu that opens, clik on "Empty"
.................c.  a box will open requiring that you either confirm the action or cancel it

NOTE:  If you clik "OK," this action will delete all your messages.  If you are not sure you want to delete all your messages, you can delete them one by one --
............2.  While in any PM:
.................a.  clik on the down arrow next to "Message," found just above and to the right of the open PM
.................b.  clik on "Leave conversation"
.................c.  a box will open requiring that you either confirm the action or cancel it

If you clik "OK," the confirmation box will close, and the action will delete the message.

Please see edited version of the tutorial below

Edited by UsernameOptional
Update information
4 people like this

Posted

I know this is probably obvious to anyone who is actually trying to delete a message but when I was reading this and in 1a it tells me to clik on the "gear" found to the right of "My Conversations"  I looked around on this page and didn't see the gear nor My Conversations.  What I am trying to say is that if I read this How to and want to do this deleting the first steps are missing.  Go to your Profile at top right of page by Clicking on your name.   A drop down box appears -- click on Messages. Then you can go with the above.

Also, it must be noted that message, conversation and PM are all the same thing.  It can be confusing.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks Bonnie.  I didn't realize that I did not direct people to where those things I outlined could be found.  No doubt I was on the page at the time.

Here are the edited instructions --

How to delete messages/conversations:
Navigate to your messenger in one of two ways:
............1.  Clik on your username, found in the upper right of any page.  From the drop-down menu, clik on "Messages," or...
............2.  Clik on the "envelope" icon (found to the left of your username).  When the preview window opens, go to the bottom of the window and clik on "Go to inbox"
Once in your messenger:

............1.  Empty the entire inbox - wipe it all out in one fell swoop
.................a.  clik on the "gear" found to the right of "My Conversations," just above the list of messages down the left
.................b.  in the menu that opens, clik on "Empty"

NOTE:  If you clik "OK," this action will delete all your messages/conversations.  If you are not sure you want to delete all your messages/conversations, you can delete them one by one --
............2.  While in any message/conversation:
.................a.  clik on the down arrow next to "Message," found just above and to the right of the open PM
.................b.  clik on "Leave conversation"

If you clik "OK," the confirmation box will close, and the action will delete the message/conversation.

NOTE:  As Bonnie pointed out, the variety in terminology can be confusing.  For those who have joined  the board since the May 2015 upgrade, it appears that "PM" (Private Message) is something some of us older members use.  The terminology associated with the upgrade include:
..................a.  "messenger," found in the page address
..................b.  "conversation," found in what is supposed to be the "inbox"
..................c.  "messages," the title that heads up the list of individual communications you've shared with other members
Edits to the tutorial include removing any reference to "PM's," and using only the terminology associated with the upgrade so as to minimize confusion.

2 people like this