8 posts in this topic

Posted

Mitch Kellaway | June 15 2015 6:59 AM ET
"Grienke made her daughter's struggle public this week to demand that Milwaukee Public Schools do better when similar situations arise in the future. She is joined by one of Ross's friends, Madeline Dietrich, who penned an open letter to Milwaukee Public Schools Superintendent Darienne Driver, to call attention to MPS's alleged "failure to respond" to Ross's claims of bullying, and subsequent attempts to "cover up" the situation, reports WDJT."  -- advocate.com

Bullied for 10 Years, Wisconsin Trans Teacher's Suicide Revealed

1 person likes this

Posted

This is so wrong and sad that this still happens in today's world and unfortunately will continue and is heartbreaking to say the least.

1 person likes this

Posted

Dear Mike and Karen,

Although the emphasis is on youth on youth bullying, I am AMAZED by the amount of adult on adult, and especially, senior and senior bullying!

Because the school and school district refused to deal with it, they have lost a wonderful teacher and human being.

Yours truly,

Monica

1 person likes this

Posted

So, the Cosmos has one more better angel now. I make no aside to her gender. She is a special education teacher. That she had the COURAGE to face these children every day is something I freely admit would crush me. Fair Winds & Following Seas Ms. Ross. Your loved ones will miss you and never forget you I am sure. Should we meet someday in the Summer Lands, I would be honored.

3 people like this

Posted

Eloquently worded Veronica!!!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This is very, very sad. What I have seen is many cowardly school administrators who, when controversy knocks at their door, either downplay it or ignore it. My sympathies to Ms. Ross' family and friends and the few supportive co-workers.

:(

Edited by Gennee
2 people like this

Posted

While I can't bring myself to believe that anyone would have been hoping for this, I can't help but wonder if administrators thought that if they ignored the bullying and the complaints by Miss Ross, that she would eventually quit.  Maybe they didn't want her there, but didn't want to chance trying to fire her.  If that was their plan, it backfired in the most horrific way, and I have no heartburn in saying I hope karma comes back at them with a vengeance.

There is more involved in this.  Not only did they ignore the issue which apparently drove this teacher to her death, but they allowed her students to be subjected to a harmful atmosphere.  Pretty sad that these children were, for all intents and purposes, learning how to bully and that to do so is okay.  And if they knew and understood that their teacher was transgender, they were also being taught that transgender people are of little consequence and not deserving of respect.  Some may argue that the bullying did not go on in front of the students, but I really doubt [her aides] were so conscientious, and of such high moral character, that they insured their bullying was carried out only when the students weren't looking.

Seems to me that some entity should be able to come down on this school and it's administrators for child endangerment of some sort.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

My Dear Friends,

Had a restless night over the teacher's suicide due to adult bullying.  Feel this has a lot more to do than with her being transgender, such as being stunningly beautiful (most teachers at the elementary school level are women) and, I suspect, VERY POPULAR with her students and their parents.  Have many friends who have learning disabled children, and they fight tooth and nail to find good teachers for their children.  

This really is a lose-lose-lose situation, with NO winners.  Had my child been in that school, I would have fought for her to be my child's teacher.

Noticed this was a German Immersion school, and while being multi-lingual overseas is STANDARD, the U.S.A. has to wake up and learn to be multi-lingual, as it is truly becoming one world, and the U.S. is no longer "King of the Hill."  This is the FIRST TIME that I heard of foreign language immersion being offered to those with learning disabilities.  

Just wish she reached out to us . . . I hurt for her, her family, her students and the few supporters among the teachers in her school . . .

Your friend,

Monica