Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sons of Anarchy - transwoman character

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been watching the Sons of Anarchy from Season 1, Episode 1 and am now into Season 7, Episode 11.  In around Season 6 and am not sure what episode a transwoman was introduced. A woman was hired to meet some of the Sons at a law office to frame the lawyer there.  They drugged the lawyer and then she soon arrived.  They were all shocked that it was a pre-op transwoman.  She didn't give it a second thought and just went about her business she was hired for.  Her character was very interesting.  She had a mixture of facial features between male and female, some beard shadow, implanted large breasts, and still had penis.  For me, I liked her confidence about herself and any masculine features she had just washed away for me.  I saw her for who she was.  One of the Sons likes her and the guys all tease him.  She appears later again in an episode about something not too important but a connection between the two, her and the biker, starts to form and there is a kiss.  In one of the later episodes they have sex.  It was done tactfully.  In either S7, E10 or 11 she tells him she loves him and he returns the feeling.  I am pleasantly surprised on how they are handling the subject.  I am not sure where they are going with this but then I am not sure where the whole story is going with so many likeable characters getting killed.  She will probably be written out that way when the time comes.  Then how do I feel?  I am thinking ... the same way I feel after any character I like gets wacked, terrible.

Anyone else see it and can tell me their thoughts?

Bonnie

PS  Sorry about the lack of research.  I often like to talk off the top of my head and can't be bothered looking for facts.  LOL that sounds funny.

4 people like this

Posted

I've never watched the show... probably because something else I was already watching comes on at the same time.    I googled the character based on the info in your post, and I believe you are referring to to Venus Van Dam, and according to imdb.com, she is a transgender prostitute.  Though I've never seen the show, it would be nice if her's became more than just a recurring role, but in reading about her character and the show in general on another website, it appears that season seven was the last season of the show.  Sort of odd too, considering viewership increased during all but one [earlier] season.

Here is an article from October 2014 that touches on how the character affected the actor who portrayed Venus, and others.

-Michael

4 people like this

Posted

I see that Venus is played by a male actor, Walter Goggins, and not a transwoman.  That is disappointing but I will forgive them for it since he and the writer did a great job on her part.   I also like what Goggins said in the article Michael linked above, "Who gives a shit about sexuality any more?" "It's about the quality of the human being that you're with...."

I can't see there being any future series since .....  um never mind.....just in case you haven't watched it yet.

Bonnie

1 person likes this