Caitlyn Jenner accepts ESPY award, urges respect for transgender people

1 post in this topic

Posted

Caitlyn Jenner, in her first speech since identifying as transgender, said Wednesday that she wants to "reshape the landscape of how trans issued are viewed," and invited her peers in the sports world to join her in "making this one of your issues."

Jenner, 65, received ESPN's prestigious Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the sports network's annual ESPYs awards ceremony.

It was a moment several months in the making: her first major public appearance since undergoing facial feminization surgery. She joked about the pressure of picking out an outfit -- a white Versace wrap gown -- but focused the rest of her speech on the serious challenges that transgender youth face.

Speaking in prime time on the ABC television network, Jenner acknowledged her own privileges and celebrity status, saying, "If you want to call me names, make jokes, doubt my intentions, go ahead. Because the reality is, I can take it. But for the thousands of kids out there coming to terms with being true to who they are, they shouldn't have to take it."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/15/media/espys-caitlyn-jenner-arthur-ashe-award/

2 people like this