Conflict arises between Fresno police, transgender activists over identification of murder victim

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Police identified victim as Kenton Haggard, a man

Fresno city council member, local advocates say victim was a transgender woman

Victim was stabbed early Thursday

Fresno police drew criticism Friday for referring to a person stabbed to death as a man, as local activists and one Fresno City Council member said the victim was a transgender woman. 

The controversy stemmed from the Fresno Police Department on Thursday calling the victim, 66-year-old Kenton Haggard, a man. Haggard was walking near the intersection of Blackstone and East Cornell avenues around 2 a.m. when the attack occurred.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article28650907.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article28650907.html

3 people like this

Posted

Thanks for sharing

3 people like this

Posted

Friends,

Please watch the video embedded in the article.  It is deeply moving!

1 person likes this

Posted

So... just outta curiosity -

Let's say you were standing at your window, and saw a vehicle pull up and see a person in a dress and carrying a pocketbook walk up to that vehicle, and then all hell breaks loose and the female-attired person falls to the ground, bloody, and the vehicle peals off.  You call #911, but you don't wanna get involved so you stay inside hoping the female-attired individual will get help fast. 

If a detective knocked on your door, and advised s/he was there to find out if you heard anything or saw anything concerning the fatal stabbing of a man, would you:

1.  Tell him/her you didn't see a man get stabbed and close the door in his/her  face?
                 2.  Exclaim, "that was a man  that got stabbed?"
                 3.  Relate to the detective what you saw, referring to the victim with female pronouns in the face of his/her ignorance, insisting that you did not see a man get stabbed?

Let's say the detective knocked on your neighbor's door...   using the same three choices above, how do you think your neighbor might respond?

3 people like this

Posted

Dear Mike,

This happened in real life, (but it was a young man, a drug deal gone wrong), and I called it as I saw it.  If I think it is a young woman, I would say that, too.

As for my neighbor making a statement (and I was overhearing it), I would say, "this is the way I see it," once my neighbor went back inside their apartment (I try to avoid conflict, especially with someone who lives near me).

As for me, if they act and dress like a lady, they are a lady.  If they act and dress like a man, they are a man.

Your friend,

Monica

1 person likes this

Posted

August 15, 2016 4:14 PM

One year later, Fresno transgender woman’s death still unsolved

More than a year after a transgender woman was stabbed and left for dead in central Fresno, police are saying little about the investigation into her murder.
3 people like this

Posted

Hiya Charlie; Karen; Michael; and Monica. One Year on, and this Poor Lady's murder, has still Not been solved. What an Absolute Disgrace. Our Local Police, here in The U.K., are Not in Our Family's Good Book's either. All that I Can say, is that We have 2 Official Complaint's, on the go at the Moment. With All the attack's by U.S.A. Police, on Innocent Non-White People, I Personally question the Moral's of Police around the World. I hope that the Lady's murder, DOES get investigated Properly, even if they have to start again from scratch. Monica; Michael; Karen, and Charlie; Take Care, And My Very Best Wishes, Love Stephanie. xxxxxxxx 

3 people like this

Posted

I certainly hope this case is solved but I worry that with the passage of time that accomplishment may be unrealized. We'll see.

I'm also struck by the tragedy and meaningless nature of the whole thing. Why stab her? And then, why not stop to help her? I am also hoping that those who did not stop read this and are reminded that they failed her in her moment of need. 

But I'm pleased to see that even the Fresno Bee continues to cover this story. In and of itself that speaks volumes. After all, the Fresno Bee's readership is not exactly a bastion of liberal feminism let alone trans and gay people. It's the heartland of California farmers, fruit growers, and ranchers, who are terrific by and large but may also be a bit set in their ways. Maybe I'm all wrong and in fact the Fresno Bee's article shows that attitudes are shifting all over. Let's hope so. Regardless, for now, I remain sorry to read that the tragedy of Casey Haggard's murder remains unsolved.

3 people like this

Posted

Hiya Folk's. It Is Great, that the Fresno bee IS keeping this Very Serious News Story, in the Forefront. Let Us hope that this gives somebody a Nudge in the Correct Direction, to Re-investigate Casey "K.C." Haggard's Murder, from Scratch. Here's Hoping So anyway ! Take Care, And My Very Best Wishes, Stephanie. 

2 people like this

Posted

Dear Friends,

Am very sorry she died this way, especially watching bystanders (motorists and pedestrians) ignore her distress.

PLEASE, if anyone from a car is asking you for directions, KEEP YOUR DISTANCE, and be aware of your surroundings.

Hope they catch the cowards soon!

Yours,

Monica

1 person likes this