A Bad Idea

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Time to take the 'T' out of LGBT: Nicola Jane Chase, transgendered woman

Guest columnist Nicola Jane Chase is the author of "Tea and Transition," a story of love, the human spirit, and how one man became one woman. You can find her online at www.TeaAndTransition.com.

It has
Nicola Jane Chase 1 (hi-res)-2-1.jpgNicola Jane Chase is an author and transgendered woman. 

taken time, but now the public has more appreciation for what the T in LGBT stands for. They may still have some way to go in understanding what it actually means to be transgender, however considerable progress has been made. We can partly thank Caitlyn Jenner for expanding that conversation and allowing the T to be equally relevant in the line up of letters. Yet I would argue that the T doesn't belong there at all. 

The L, G and B are about sexual identity; the T is about gender. Lumping the four initials together only enhances the misperception that they are interchangeable terms. They are not. -Nicola Jane Chase

After reading this, in my mind this is a bad idea. I'm aware of the difference between sexuality and gender identity. I also aware that people lump the T with LGB and see them as the same. This is where Ms. Chase could earn her stripes by educating the public about that difference, something which I have done. I would also remind her that transgender people can be straight, gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

My greater concern is the erasure of the transgender contributions especially women of color to the gay liberation front. It was a black transgender woman who sparked the Stonewall Rebellion of New York City in 1969.  I would remind Ms. Chase that I am heterosexual and transgender. I cannot separate the two nor am I going to. this is me!

There are those who would love to see transgender contributions erased and presented as a totally gay phenomena. This is NOT true at all and the record bears that out. Many people of color participated in Stonewall and other movements and I'm NOT going let the T be taken out. This is why what Ms. Chase suggests is harmful to our history. She needs to be reminded that it was people like Marsha P. Johnson, Sylvia Rivera  and Miss Major who fired the first salvo to where she can transition without much of the garbage that her predecessors had to put up with and yet moved forward. 

I believe Ms. Chase needs to read up on transgender history and see what her idea would do to the trans community as a whole. 

4 people like this

Posted

Dear Gennee,

Perhaps instead of LGBT, it should be LGB/T, because the first three letters refers to SEXUAL ORIENTATION and the 'T' stands for GENDER.  Feel being clear (even though all these acronyms are continuously evolving!) is most important in educating allies and people just coming out, whether they be LGB or transgender.

Your friend,

Monica

5 people like this

Posted

I have advocated we Trans people drop out of all GAY related events for years . First , too many Gay people see us as insecure nut jobs and unable to function in our own skin . Look, I have nothing against gay Folks , their life is their life . For me , I'm entering a life as a mature woman and Mom. 

4 people like this